Flowering week 4 and found bud worms

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Optigan, Sep 8, 2018.

1. I've found bud worms in one of three plants. Also a grasshopper! I've cut off the brown buds and smooshed about 6 cats (worms). Can I still use BT spray. I have more than two weeks to harvest? If I do use the spray will I be smoking dead worms? Do I trash all buds I see catepillars in? Should I worry about my other two plants being nearby?

Please advise

2. #2 Vee, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    I'd spray the buds

keep a daily eye on them

come harvest, if you are still unsure

wash gently in warm water and 10% bleach

dip again in bleach free warm water

then hang to dry

good luck

ps cold water may snap the trics off

• Like Like x 2
  3. thank you.

4. Believe it or not I wash my plants outside every couple of days when in veg and early flower. The fucking moths know ur plant is going to flower and that's when the land. U may see some fly the first time u do it. I used safer spray one time. It kills them but is nasty sulfur. BT Monterey I would use. I also sit out there with scissors and get them

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I've removed almost a dozen and found the first one in my second plant. :( Going to get Monterrey spray tonight and try in the morning. I've been keeping my buds dry as they are in week 3 and 4 of flowering. I don't want to destroy my flowers just looking for cats but I can see where they are unnaturally brown. I'm hearing I can use the spray for a least a week if not more. I harvest end of this month. I worry about hosing down my buds at this stage. Seems too late anyway. Now I'm just thinking of killing them before they do more damage and somehow extracting every single existing one before curing

6. Last night I sprayed all my plants with Bonide BT after sunset. It kind of stinks. Plants look ok this morning. I plan to harvest plant #1 on Sep 30 so I will not spray that one again (this one shows no signs). The other two plants are trailing behind and should be able to take another spraying next weekend. Both #2,#3 have cats. I will continue to inspect the buds and remove anything I see. Should a cut off any buds with visible damage or leave well enough alone?

7. I also found some bud worms in 2 of my plants. Last couple nights I’ve been going out at night with a light and pulling them off. For the most part I caught them early so there isn’t too much damage. I’m leaving the damaged buds on the plant for now but I did cut one off that looked like it might start rotting, it was pretty wet looking.
    I also bought some BT but I’m hoping I can manage this by hand first. My plants are about 2-3 weeks away from harvest. Let me know how the spraying goes.

8. Try using a black light at night,they should glow.
    Also inspect at dawn and dusk,i use long surgical tweezers and pull them out intact.
    If you can pull them at 3/16" or smaller your doing ok,best to use BT at the beginning of flower as a preventative.
    I would spray over and under every part at sundown to soak and again in 3-4 days then once a week till the flush (all of your plants have cats if they are outdoors).
    The BT is not systemic and will completely dry by sun up 99% of the time.
    BT breaks down under UV in just a couple days.

HTH

Oci

• Like Like x 2
  9. Nice suggestion:wave:

10. Thanks for all the replies. I am noticing butterflies everywhere now! I will spray them all again before the 15th as suggested and use my loop to continue to look for traces. I haven't found anymore since spraying the first time but with the butterflies hovering I'm concerned they plan on returning. There was a beautiful Monarch trapped in a spider web in my yard. I carried it away but couldn't kill it. They are going extinct.