flowering under a 400 then a 600 or 1000??????

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by cybertech1000, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Heres what I am thinking and want to know all your thoughts.
    I have a 7ft X 3.5ft flowering area with 2 400w hps over it now. What I am thinking is how would I do with a 8 week flowering period if I started the first 4 weeks under a 400 then the last 4 weeks under a 600 or 1000. How would this compare to being under a 600 or 1000 the whole 8 weeks?
    I am thinking of upgrading the 400s to 2 600s but then I got thinking go with a 400 and a 1000.

2. how many grows have you grown off the 400`s? what have been the results? What would you be seeking if you got new lights?

Personally, i like 1000 watters. I can cool them very well as i have gotten used to them, and i like buying 1000 watters for canopy penetration and if i need more light i just add another 1000 watter because i know how to cool like i said and i can handle it electric wise. But if you cant handle the wattage, i would probably go for 2 , 600`s.

3. I'm still playing with things and have a bunch of strains gotta get it locked in better.
    I am looking for more yield.
    would the first 4 weeks under a 400 and last under a 1000 would be better then 2 600s full time.
    I am switching to air cooled reflectors
    basically i want to know if there would be a big difference if I started under a 400 for 4 weeks and the last 4 weeks under a bigger light over just running a bigger light the whole time

4. The heat from 1000 watters is ridiculous from what I understand. It seems to be widespread accepted knowledge that using 2 600's in the place of a single 1000 watt lamp is not only a great advantage in overall light, but is significantly cooler. Of course whether you have an open or a closed in micro grow will be your determining factor.

I'd be careful about switching lights mid-flower, might stress the plants into hermie. Not saying it will, but it might.

5. Yeah I was thinking make sure I use the same brand and model of bulb also.
    im not looking to either go with a 1000 or 2 600s it would be replacing 2 400s with either 2 600s or a 400 and a 1000
    Also in the air cooled hood the heat should be controlled fine

6. I have an air sealed hood exhaust system, it only controls the heat so much in a smaller space.

That aside, I wouldn't use 2 different wattages, I'd definitely go with 2 600's.

7. im gunna have the air cooled hods on there own circuit too not using is the room air at all

8. #8 SimonC, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2011
    All things being equal, the 2x600.

IME, 2x600 run a little hotter than a single 1K. This being said, the radiant heat can be spread over a bigger area with the 600s.

Never seen it happen. Never.

...doesn't really matter.

Simon