flowering top colas issue

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by justagrower, Jan 15, 2010.

1. What type of medium; soil
    What brand and type of soil? local outdoor soil, North Ga mountains rocky and reddish dark looking
    Indoors or outdoors? indoor
    What strain? Durban Poison/ White Widow
    How old are the plants? 5 to 6 months
    What type of lights and how many watts? 1 x 250 W HPS + 50 W cfl
    How far from the lights? 10 inch
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? mt. spring water from backyard spring
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? every other two weeks
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? currently 7
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? day 80-85 F/ night 60 F
    What size pots? 2 gal
    Any bugs? Look real close. Gnats I think, there little flys and lay white eggs on the under side of the leaves.
    Any other pertinent info?

These seeds are from cannabis-seeds.com. I know there not the best place to purchase seeds from, but, I didn't find that out till after my purchase. Both these plants were grown outdoors half there life. Then brought indoors. Both were feed organic fertilizer for vegetative growth. Both have been chemical fertilizer burnt more than once. Both plants had gnat treatment two weeds into flowering. Both plants were recently flushed. 2 days past and I feed them half recommended dose high K miracle grow fertilizer.

I know I broke many rules but finances were a huge issue. This is my second grow and I think I have seriously messed up the yield for both plants. Can anybody tell me whats wrong with these plants and what I should do? I was going to try and lower the PH to about 6.5 using vinegar and water. Can these plants be saved?

Also, I think they are severely behind in there flowering stage. They started showing signs of flowering 12/01/09. Today is the 15th of January. Its been about 48 days and there are no buds, just flowers.

I can upload more picture's upon request. sorry, i wasnt able to upload a pic of white widow. I guess first time posters are only allowed two uploads.

Attached Files:

2. gnats lay eggs in soil, not on the bottom of leaves. Find out what pest you have, im sure its contributing to the issue.

3. looks like 2 much water is your main problem. white flies lay eggs on the underside of leaves and need to b dealt with asap.let them girls dry 4 a bit they might look a little better

4. #4 kerenski, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2010
    overwatered leaves just hang down heavily with the tips pointing downward...
    here the leaves are fairly straight and just the tips rolling under... i would feel safe to say it's not overwatering...

pH seems a little high... 5.5-6.5 is target for soil, could be a lockout

also, any sort of pest is bound to hinder growth... neem oil is pretty much an all-rounder, plus it's organic and safe for humans/easy on the plants...

5. Thanx to all who responded. I know the problem isn't over watering. I was extremely careful not to over water. I agree with kerenski that it's a combination of a PH and pest.

I have adjusted the PH to 6.2 and I will try to pick up some neem oil. I picked off one of the leafs this morning and took a picture. In response to this pest, the leaf yellows and tiny black dots appear all over the leaf. Does anybody know what this is? I have attached a picture for convenience. The pest is located on the middle leaf in the middle of that leaf.

Attached Files:

6. idk dude but those looked fucked uppp, i hope you get it sorted.... i got some in flower, that i started right around 12/4 12/5... and they are loookin mucho better than yours... no offence, but yah, that looks like some power skunk ive had a few times... its just all air and no buds, i was never able to succesfully flower any of my like 4-5 power skunk plants.

7. #7 janemba, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2010
    that doesnt look like over water it looks like the start of toxic salt build up, if ur using spring water the TDS is around 100-200 (thats guess, it depends on ur region and what the water runs through, ive tested mountain spring water, from creeks, and the tds is around 100 give or take)
    and if ur adding nutriants, the ppm is shooting through the roof, pH for soil is 6.0-7.0 hydro is 5.5-6.0. i like to keep it at 6.3 for soil, and 5.8 for hydro...
    and if u ordered seeds y didnt u go out and buy good soil. im not saying ur soil is bad, but u dont know whats in it

8. Hey bud, your problem is too much nitrogen. You can tell this by the very dark green leaves at the tops and by how they canoe downward. Also excess nitrogen will delay flowering which is why they are not budding great. You say you are using high K food but MG is usually chemical and has high NP and K numbers which I believe is causing your problem. Just cut down on the amount you give them. Oh and correct soil pH is from 6.2-6.8. If they get to 6.0 or 7.0 still probably be OK. If they are indeed gnats they probably won't hurt much. However you might try neem oil to kill them and other things if its not gnats.

9. Hi, I have corrected the PH to 6.2 but, within two days it shot back up to 6.8. This is where it is currently. I'm hesitant to try and lower it again for fear of over watering. Or should wait until she needs to be watered again.

As for the top colas, they are finally starting to flower again with the addition of new hairs over night. Although the plants response to the PH change has been positive, it's not out of the woods yet. The leaves are still canoed downward through out the entire plant. Will this go away with time? If so, how long will it take. I looks horrible. I don't think the garden soil is the issue sense I have another garden soil potted plant that's done fine through out its life cycle.

Thanx in advance

Attached Files:

10. hey dude some major issues u got, the PH shooting up to 6.8 should be ok, i tend to keep my PH at 6.5-6.8 for soil grows, also id say hold off on feeding any more, as mentioned above theres an excess of N in the plants, the good thing is they dont look deficent lol, so dont need any food, they will take time to recover, no one can really say if or when the leaves will totally recover, they will need to recover before they really start/continue to flower properly

also again as some one mentioned outdoor soil is usually unsuitable for growing MJ as u just dont know whats in it which could explain ur bug problem atleast, ive see alot of guys have bug issues weeks down the line after just using outdoor dirt, just not worth the risk even if it is small risk, u dont need fancy soil just a cheep store bought soil

11. #11 janemba, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2010
    what are u talking about over watering it... FLUSH it, its def toxic sail build up clear it out then get back on ur normal feed regimen, but with a little less food, pH at 6.8 is good for soil

12. My babies are looking much better thanks to this friendly community forum. Thanks to all who helped contribute to this tread. Although I do have some more questions in regards to neem extract.. I just purchased some neem capsules, not oil. They are 250 mg each that I got form the health food store. Does anybody know what ratios I should use on my plants. The lady at the counter told me six capsules per gallon of water. Can I mix it with alcohol instead. If so, what ratio. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.