Flowering too early.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by oilman420, Jul 17, 2011.

1. I put some plants outside in May and they started flowering. It is now mid July and they seem to have gone back into veg, but the buds have plenty of glands on them and are sticky and smelly. I'm just wondering what will happen to them. Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

2. did you move them from inside with a long day ime (18/6)?
    If so, then it's normal that they flowered when placed out, the diff. shocked them
    now they vegged back and will flower back in beg. aug. Nothing to do except cut off those buds if you want (or they'll get too ripe). Your yield will be much less unfortunately.

3. I don't know much about growing weed, but I work on a farm. This sounds like a plant has 'bolted' / bolting, ie flowering too early due to stress, normally a rapid increase in soil temp. Sounds like you stopped it bolting completely. Again, I'm no expert and can't offer any useable advice. good luck

4. #4 oilman420, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    That is what happened. I sat in front of her with some scissors but realized there wouldn't be anything left if I cut of the flowers. So I'm just going to let her go and take her for hash once she is fully mature. I figure the over ripe parts will add CBD.

5. I got the same issue and was thinking bout letting them go ?? Or cut off looking for more info

6. #6 kegman, Jul 26, 2011
    Will it be ok u think just letting go ? Will it be good smoke ?

7. #7 oilman420, Aug 2, 2011
    Sorry for the delay. The way mine are looking now I'd say they will be fine to smoke. But I'm pretty much a pot snob and will most likely make oil after trying it once. Here are some photos of my outdoor plants, some well into flowering and some just pre flowering now.

Attached Files:

8. I chopped down the two Blackberry Kushes that have been flowering since early June. They look like they could have gone another two weeks, but living so close to the ocean makes it hard to stave off bud rot. So down they came. Some pretty big buds on them and it looks like there will probably be about 6 oz. from the two plants. I had a couple of smaller plants I put into the big pots these came out of. Looks like it will make some pretty good bho once dry.

Attached Files:

9. Were they from clone? If you're growing from clone, next season you might want to wait until the end of may-early june to put your plants out. Early may the lighting is short enough to make clones flower early. I had the same problem, but I finished flowering mine indoors and started another batch outdoors. Two smaller harvests instead of one big one. Not the way I planned, but it worked. Live and learn, huh?

10. #10 oilman420, Aug 8, 2011
    Yes they were clones. These were two mothers that we put outside with a light in the evening on the deck to keep them vegging. But the light was not strong enough and they triggered. I have Sour Grapes that flowered a little early but not nearly as early as the blackberry. Looking and smelling pretty good right now. Outdoors is just an experiment for me living so close to the coast where it is kind of foggy in the summer. I might put a greenhouse up in the space where I have the plants outside next year, but i have a nice indoor setup that provides 7 lbs of medicine every 10 weeks, so we'll see. I think it will be a good idea just to keep my mothers healthier.

Attached Files:

11. I wish I would have caught this thread sooner. I bet your plants have really filled out since your last post.
    I think all us Nor Cali outdoor growers need our own section :smoke:. (Is there one here already? I haven't checked in a while.) We sometimes have to deal with some very specific issues. Like budworms, laws, security from the rippers in our backyards, etc.
    I also grow mostly from clones. We've put clones out many times that start to flower. Anything out before early May seems to do this. We just let them go. It doesn't seem to cause a problem. Our garden does get a lot of sun. This may make a difference.
    Also, we had a few runts this season so we put out some extra clones in early July. Our smallest one was an AK47s that we already harvested at full maturity. We got about six ounces. They got way bigger than we expected.

12. [quote name='"Grandma Gudenhi"']I wish I would have caught this thread sooner. I bet your plants have really filled out since your last post.
    I think all us Nor Cali outdoor growers need our own section :smoke:. (Is there one here already? I haven't checked in a while.) We sometimes have to deal with some very specific issues. Like budworms, laws, security from the rippers in our backyards, etc.
    I also grow mostly from clones. We've put clones out many times that start to flower. Anything out before early May seems to do this. We just let them go. It doesn't seem to cause a problem. Our garden does get a lot of sun. This may make a difference.
    Also, we had a few runts this season so we put out some extra clones in early July. Our smallest one was an AK47s that we already harvested at full maturity. We got about six ounces. They got way bigger than we expected.[/quote]

Turns out my main problem is the foggy coastal weather and bud rot. I got turned on to Serenade late in the season which is used to prevent powdery mildew and rot. Doesnt work so well after the rot has showed but pretty well on PM. Good thing I'm into making BHO.