flowering time in soil compared to hydro, indoor grow tent

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by truegooner80, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Hi guys im relatively new to growing weed. I have a question regarding flowering in soil compared to in a hydro set up. Most strains iv seen on the seed websites say they flower in about 8 to 12 weeks. I grew some northern lights which I flowered for 10 weeks total from the moment I went 12/12. The bud came out ok near the very tops but the rest wasn't all that. If I left it longer would some of the mid too lower buds reach potential? Back to my original question is there a difference in flowering times between soil and hydro? Most of the seed company's put time guidelines but don't mention anything about medium they grown in. I grow in soil and would be grateful for any advice from my fellow tokers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. this is normal if the plant is grown straight up because the bottom doesnt get light exposure, i always grow with the scrog method and will never look back all bud sites get full light and you end up with about 20 fat tops per plant look up "screen of green" if you dont already know about it

• Like Like x 1
  3. i grow in aeroponics, great systems aslong as temps are bang on otherwise prone to rot problems, alot of pros and cons

• Like Like x 1
  4. There are lots who chop the top when it's ready but leave the rest to go longer. I don't, because I like the 2-3 days of darkness. But you can do it.

As for what growing method is right, well you are on hydro. I am sure there are ways I ways thought hydro and a Sog would be a pain, less you have a ton of tiny buckets. Btnyuncan look up Scrog this may help you. You learn to train your plants and keep all branches same height.mthr idea is even canopy and even lighting for all. Making the bs complete at the same time.

Just an idea.

5. Hi red thx for the info. I'm gonna try and manifold each plant to try get 16 tops. My original question though is there a difference in time between flowering in soil compared to hydro? If the seed seller recommends 8 to 10 weeks is that in a hydro set up? would soil take longer?

6. Thx diatt but im growing in soil not hydro

7. My bad :) then you can Sog if that's what you wanna do. Different reasons to do different methods.

For your question its near the same. Some lights you can finish first, but those posted by the breeders are a guide line. I don't think hydro gets done faster, it goes grow faster and such. I don't know your level, but you follow that as a guide right when you flip. From there start to use ra scope, jewlers loop, high powered camera. Look at the tricks and their colors. Younger will be clear, mature milky, and ripe is amber. Most like a 50/50 between Amber and milky.

Hope that helps a bit.

8. How much defoliation did you do?

9. No. Each strain has a general flowering time. However, if the plant is stressed severely during the cycle, this will slow the progress down some. We flower 60 days past the point of seeing the plant start to develop flowers. Hydro and soil are simply "media" to grow the plant in. One has natural nutrients in it, the other requires the grower to be solely responsible for feeding the plant. If you only had good bud development in your tops it's due to your lighting not being powerful enough and possibly too many plants flowering under lighting that can't support that many. The size and density of your buds is directly proportional to the quality lighting they get during the flower cycle. Also, way too many people don't have a grasp on how many plants one light can flower and put way too many plants under lights. You can harvest more from one plant that is given enough light and the right environment than you ever will by trying to flower 3 in the same space. You only get light penetration around 8-10 inches below the canopy most of the time, but if you crowd a bunch of plants in together, you'll get pretty much nothing below the canopy because the light can't get down into the plant. We flower with 1000 watt hps lamps. Over the years, I've found that if I try to flower more than 5 plants...at the most 6, under one of those lamps, I'm shooting myself in the foot and making a lot more work for me to do. If you have too many under one light you have to constantly move them around and rotate them to take care of all sides of the plants. I can take two big beautiful plants and put under one light and get just as much because they get absolutely all the light they can stand. Just basic learning curve and it'll take you awhile to get it all down and have it make sense. The more you grow, the better you get at it and the more it makes sense. But if your growing knowledge is limited, you will really help yourself out by going to the new grower threads and reading the "sticky's" there for new growers. They contain vital basic information that every grower needs to know about the plants BEFORE they start some. Most people spend months of time and thought on the setup they'll grow with but there is a whole other side to this growing thing that requires some effort to...which is learning the indoor growing process. It's different from anything I've ever done outside and if you don't take the time to learn the differences, you'll be on here every day with questions and problems that you could have avoided. You don't bake a cake without reading the recipe and learning how to use an oven, right? Got to learn both parts of this too. Good luck. Hope all goes well. TWW

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gotta make some paragraphs. Good information in there, but man it's murder on the eyes :)

Take what I say with a grain of salt. I been going for a bit over a year, but always seed to complete, no clones. I am now just starting to do more in terms of training the plants. If you want to defoil make a fist and put it against your stem. Trim any thing covering it.

If you took a picture be easier to see. If you do a scrog you will want to defoil heavy also known as lolipopping. Where you clean every thing under the net more or less because light will not make it down there. You remove all popcorn buds and make colas. But yes lots and lots of information just start searching like scrog logs or scrog and review peoples logs. It will give you some really good insight.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thx widow im using a led light a budmaster XG 300. In a grow tent 90 x 90 x 170cm. I'm growing just 2 plants at a time. So would you think id be better off just growing 1 plant and training that intensely?

13. [QUOTE="mmsmmskdskms, post:

Hi mmsmm I did quite a bit of defolation on my last grow. Most of the lower leaves and any big fan leaves covering buds went sooner rather than later

14. There's no diff in flower time. Time is simply in the genetics. Lollypopping will give you nice hard colas.so it all at once tho, so the plant doesn't have to heal itself off and on. You want it to focus on flowering.
    If you already going good and you don't want to set up the scrog, you can tire your upper buds upward and cut most of the top fan leaves off so more light can penetrate the canopy. Also, close to the end of harvest you can cut the top colas that are finished and let the lower ones continue to finish. Sorta like dissecting the plant.

15. Thanks red that's the answers I think will help me most. Some of the bud from my first grow was nice I think I just need work on my plant training a lil more

16. I wouldn't pay too much attention to what the seed vendors claim. Yield will usually be the highest ever recorded yield and that will be by some crazy hydro guy who devotes his whole life to setting a new record. With photo period flowering time means since you flip a mature plant (with autos it is since they started flowering). So no, the flowering time would not be different from hydro to soil, but veg time and yield could be quite different.

17. hi lotek thx for the info. I counted 10 weeks from my flip so that was probably alright for a strain like northen lights. As for yields I'm not so so interested in but potency that's how I like to get down. If I can grow more bud sites with an even canopy think Il be alright. I'm only growing for myself and I think Il be able to grow plenty between each grow if its better quality gear.