Flowering Temperatures (What's too hot)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by HILLBILLY007, Jul 1, 2012.

1. (First time posting)
    Ok, Old school newb here. Been about 20 years since I smoked but getting back into it due to my health. Y'all have been so much help with my first grow. Everything has been going pretty good once I got enough CFL's and stopped watering so much.
    I am 1 week into flowering after a month of vegging. They are bag seed in 5 gallon buckets with MG potting soil. I have sparingly fertilized with MG "all purpose" and just changed to MG "rose". Like I said everything is going great so far.
    My problem is I am growing in an outdoor shed (10x10). Today the temps were right at 102 outside and 100 in the shed. I am in the south so my shed is going to go up 100 degrees for the next couple months. I do have a window A/C unit in the shed but it would have to run 24/7 to keep the temps down. I do have a bathroom fan ducted to outside.
    My question is will high temperatures effect the flowering stage of my babies and if so how much?

Attached Files:

2. flowering i usually keep em anywhere from 75-77 degrees F... 100 is way too hot buddy flowering or vegging.

edit://

flowering i tend to be a li'l bit more forgiving.. i remember i had a grow that went up to 85~86 degrees and plants came out decent. hope this helps at all.

3. if anything you can buy a thermostat and attach it to your a/c and when temps get too hot it can turn it on for you. that's my best bet...

4. #4 Doc-J, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
    High temps will lead to small, airy buds if they make it that far. I live in the south as well. No way you'll ever get that shed right in the summer time without a large AC unit.

Adding some type of insulation would help the AC unit out as well.

How much will the heat hurt yield, no way to tell. I have a friend that is trying to grow in a poorly ventilated room with no a/c. It could be something else he is doing for all I know, but my plants double his in size and yield.

5. 85 is ideal to flower in if you have great air circulation...if not, keep it under 75. I know because thats is my set temp and @ 80-85 with light on my harvests are bumper!

6. Thanks Joker. When I started this it never occured to me that when I changed light cycles to imitate winter coming that the plants would be looking for cooler temps also. Well I can't do anything now. I am working on my closet for my second grow. I will keep y'all updated as to how they come out. Good or bad.

7. About your health........please be safe, I don't know what chemicals ya got in there but you're going to smoke or ingest these meds. Don't want them to end up hurting you lol - though they are looking nice and strong under those lights :)

8. Yeh, I've been dealing with this hot temps too where I'm at. I grow indoors for this (and other) reasons. Plants really don't like temps above 90. If at all possible, keep the temps in the 70's any way you can.

9. Check out another thread "Temps!!!! What's that golden number?". MrMatrix posted a good reply and an even better link that let me know everything I wanted to know about what was going to happen growing in high heat.

I can't move this grow at this time. I will just have to let them go and hope for the best. I will keep y'all updated with pics, yield and quality.
    By the time this grow is done I will have my closet grow ready to go and grow some real seeds from a bank.

Thanks again everyone.

10. Man! Those are definitely some good ol' Indicas! That's a whole lot of couch lock haha!

Looking good though! Keep it real and link me to a grow journal so I can sub!

11. The max temp i would say is 95f with a fan constantly blowing. Ive flowered fine in 95f.

12. Hi Chef,
    Out of curiosity, what's your humidity? The times I've had my temps in the low to mid 80's
    I've had issues. This might have been due to my negative air intake. I've since installed a 6 inch vortex fan for intake & I have a 4 inch exhaust fan that cools the lights.
    Thanks & Cheers:D

13. Perfect temp for flowering with good air flow is 75-77 mate.. RH around 40% or lower if you can.. If you can achieve this it will give you tight dense nugs.. Good luck

14. Mine is at low 80s with a fan blowing on it.

15. [quote name='"Airf0nz0"']Mine is at low 80s with a fan blowing on it.[/quote]

I found when my temps was high that if i adjusted my fans in slightly different positions i managed to bring em down.. Point them in such a manner that if you could see the air moving around it would be acting in a kind of tornado kind of manner with the heat an filter pulling the hot air out. I was pretty baked when I did it an it took many attempts but I figured it was all in getting the airflow in my tent as sufficient as pos. if your still struggling you can always add an extra 4inch clip on fan..

16. I would like to find out how Hillbilly's grow ended up. With this site it's like having many extra brains, it's great! I never would have thought about putting a therostat on the A/C.
    Here I am in my 8th week of flowering, 5 bag seed plant in 3 gallon, 400hps, one large intake fan that is about the same size as my exhaust. 2 circulating fans in a 15 sq ft tent(grow lab-quality not as good as some others like JardinSecret. Temps here in Berlin are really high right now, my babies are enduring 90plus temps when lights on, 80 off.
    Some appear to have Sativa traits and may require more then 8 weeks. Should I chance it? Trichs are not yet ready, maybe I will harvest 1/2 early and wait, In nature I know things get hot so maybe they will survive. My first indoor grow so I am a bit of a nervous Nelle. Any thoughts frm anyone? Thanks for all your feedback, Moshe in berlin

17. Idk if below 40% is right.. I'd say around 45-50% there are molds/mildew that can produce in too dry an area as well as too humid.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

18. I stay 40-50 rh after week 3 and never an issue. Mildew requires moisture.

19. 45 percent

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using GC Forum

20. My humidity hits 60% at night usually.

It deters pests.