Flowering stretch?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by txag, May 29, 2015.

1. #1 txag, May 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2015
    So I have a mainlined plant, and I'm trying to decide when to flower.  I was wondering, how many nodes does a plant usually put on during the post-flip stretch?  I know that a plant can double in height, but I was curious how many actual bud sites that it put on.

Heres a few pics. I'm not going to flower right now, I'm just curious.  Also, since this is bagseed the sex is unknown.  Is there anything I could do that would force sex without much stress?

IMG_7412.JPG IMG_7413.JPG

2. #2 Joint., May 29, 2015
    Your plant is still really small and I definitely wouldn't flower maybe harvest a half an ounce. 
    there is no real way to tell exactly how many nodes youll get but expect it will grow 2x bigger as you stated!
    Also there is no true way to force sex.

3. #3 txag, May 29, 2015
    Thanks, like i said i wasnt planning on flowering now.  I'm using CFL's though so I dont want too much height.  I was thinking maybe switch to 12/12 once each cola has 3-4 nodes (24-32 budsites).  Would that still be too early?

4. I would probably wait until about 8 nodes but it is truly up to you! I would just want a bigger yield If I only had one plant.... 
    I did a couple CFL plants back in the day lol tbh it was always kind of disappointing to spend months growing something that I would smoke in a day or two rofl 

5. #5 txag, May 29, 2015

I'm just worried about penetration with my CFL's.  I guess my line of thought is shorter colas will be fatter buds.  Lol this is my 2nd grow, both w/ bagseed & CFL's.  Here's my first plant.  3/4 zip dry, 6 26 watt CFL's
    View attachment 1754436
    View attachment 1754643
    View attachment 1754642
    View attachment 1754433

6. I'm at 42 days from seed btw.  I had some overwatering and PH issues that slowed me down for a while.

7. damn well I really hope its fem and not a huge waste of time :p

If it's a male it will suck, but i'll look at it as a good crash course in mainlining [​IMG] .  

lol heres a pic of my first plant at 46 days... this time around my stem and shit def looks better 
    View attachment 1785727

9. If you have the space, top to 8, wait a week or two and train those 8 nodes out towards the bucket edges, then flower. You don't have to train them all the way out, you can stop at the first node if you chose. The training will keep all 8 colas spaced apart to allow for more light penetration during flowering. Depending on the strain, and whether it's indica or sativa dominant, it will either double or triple in size. Or somewhere inbetween those two.

10. This^^ then hang the cfl down the middle always wanted to see that done lol

11. Thats what i was planning on doing.  Here is a pic from this morning

View attachment 1788363
    View attachment 1788364

12. #12 12valve, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2015
  13. What he said. Nice tight bunches from what I can tell from pics. How many times have you topped thus far?

14. I dont really have a yield number im looking for... I'm looking for quality > quantity.  I guess if I had to quantify it id say at least around 3/4 oz (what I got from my 1st grow).  I'll check out that journal.

Thanks.  I was out of town for 2 nights and raised the lights a little much so there was a little stretching, other than that they are pretty tight.  I've topped 3 times... from 1-->2, 2-->4, 4-->8.

I staked it out to give it a wider footprint.  Nodes are beginning to alternate, and it looks like preflowers are beginning to form.... too small to tell sex though.

View attachment 1788987
    View attachment 1788986

15. With you wanting to keep it under control for cfl purposes, just wait until its growing rapidly again so you know its fully recovered from the toppings, then i'd say its completely up to your judgement keeping the double/triple stretch factor in mind. 

16. I'm thinking another 5-7 days.  Im going to re pot before I flip, so that I can get it centered in the pot better