Flowering Northern Lights/Ice Strains

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Pedro Bongzalez, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Hello fellow gardeners,

I am in my 7th week of flowering my 5 Northern Lights and an Ice strain(s) and I am wondering how they are supposed to look when I start my harvest. Any info or suggestions will be forever appreciated.
    I have a microscope and have been watching the trichomes for color change, but I also read that when all the white pistils start to orange and die that that is also an indication that they're ready. (correct me if I'm mistaken)

Here are a few pics of what they look like today.

2 of my NL
    IMAG0419.jpg
    IMAG0418.jpg

Ice
    IMAG0416.jpg

2. :smoke: I need to learn some patience.
    Shortly after posting this thread I found a sticky for some very helpful info. I'm guessing I still have about 3 or 4 weeks left since the pistils have barely started to orange or even recede back into the bud. I just need to figure out a way to explain to my less competent roommate what to do incase I'm still gone when that time comes.

Even so, let me hear your thoughts and comments, I love learning about this wonderful world of miracle medijuana. :gc_rocks:

3. Looks very nice. Goback to seed manufacturer and find out the flowering period. Personally i would not chop unless all white hairs have turned anothet colour

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Thanks budday, I will check that out and get back atcha. Are they usually pretty spot on?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. How is this lookin? Am I close? Or a little longer?

Attached Files:

6. Looks awesome.  Go with the trichs. If their mostly cloudy with 10% amber they are ready. However if you want a couch-lock high wait until you have 50% amber. Either way your plant looks ready to chop. By the way,  when did you last water the plant. I like to wait 4 days after last watering before I harvest the plant.

7. I have no idea what they're lookin like hah, I've been away for almost two months and got a friend to send me a picture.
    I definitely don't want the couch-lock effect, I like being active while I bake ;)
    It was watered lastnight and I'll be coming home early next week. Does it make cure time less if you dry out the roots a little?

8. Letting the plant dry out for 3 or 4 days will help with the taste. When was the last time it was fed nutrients?  

9. Ahh, I wasn't aware, thanks.
    I haven't ever given them nutes. They're 100% organic. The soil has everything they've ever needed in it.

10. Personally, I would shut the lights off, cut all the fans leaves off, wait 3 or 4 days then chop her down. After chopping I would hang branches in the dark 3 to 5 days  before putting the buds in jars to cure. Remember to burp the jars everyday for2 weeks.  

11. Thanks! I think I will do just that!
    I'll let ya know how they turn out.

12. I almost forgot to say that its best to cure buds in the jars for at least 3 months if you want the best taste and potency.

13. Whuhh, three more months till perfection? Awlright.
    Thank you for the info Zappa. I love this place. So many friendly helpful Ganj-wizard's! ^_^

14. You can always smoke the buds from the bottom half of the plants first while the top buds which are the best get the long cure.

15. #15 Pedro Bongzalez, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
    Interesting. Are the bottom buds just further along or older? What makes them "better"?Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. #16 zappaman123, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
    Actually , the lower buds are further behind. The lights don't penetrate the lower buds like the top buds. Since the lights only reach the top 2 feet of the plant the lower buds are usually 2 weeks behind when maturing. How tall are your plants?  Did you top your plants ? Once again I have to say those buds look awesome, so you can feel proud of yourself.

17. Just wanted to drop in and say that they all look beautiful man !

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. ^_^ thanks guys.

They're about 3 feet tall. I didn't wana go too big with what I had to work with. I topped them a couple weeks before I started flowering. They've been flowering for almost 10 weeks! I'm very anxious to get back home.

19. I grow mine the same 3 feet tall and topped once. Trust me while your curing your buds smoke the buds from the bottom  1/3 of the plant first. They wont be as potent and taste as good but will still get you high. To me drying and curing is the most important part of growing. If you have any questions drying and curing your buds feel free to ask, I will help you. 

20. Dude! So I got home lastnight after an intense road trip(woke up for work at 6am, got back to the hotel at 4pm, packed, drove, and arrived at 1:30am) and got to see my girls with my own eyes since a month ago, and damn!! I didn't want to wait till morning after I saw and smelled their sweetness in all its glory! So I chopped the older 6 of the 9 of them and hung em up. The princesses are only at about 50 days vs. the 90+ days of the ones I chopped, so I'll probably leave those for a few more weeks. It's crazy how different the older ones are from the younger ones, I can see how much nicer they look after I got everything figured out and stopped messing with them.
    Zappaman, I'm definitely going to take you up on that advice! It's Wednesday now, and I am going to have to leave on Sunday morning. I'd like to do as much as I can to trim and dry them before I leave again. (this time for only two or three weeks)
    What do you recommend?