Flower Box - Light Proofing

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by 4twen_t, May 15, 2019.

1. Hey All,

I'm going to be switching over to flower pretty soon, and I'm trying to get my flower box up and running. What's the best way you guys have found to get power cords in and out while keeping out the light?

Also, I'm going to be putting the door on - any ideas on how to keep the door sealed and light proof? Here's my veg box currently - not at all light sealed, as light gets out around the door and where the power cables run out. In the second pic, you can see the foam strip around the bottom of the door. I could probably get some better pics of the incomplete flower box and veg box if anyone wants them.

Attached Files:

2. Lots of silicone sealant? Since you have the box vented you could put on the door and toss a tarp over the whole thing and poof, you're lightproof. Your plants are looking good.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'll probably give the silicone a shot for around the air vent, but what about around the door? I'd rather not need to have a tarp just hanging over the doorway all the time, ya know?

4. Your door will be a challenge. It takes some effort to make a cheap homemade door lightproof which is why I punked out and suggested hanging a tarp over the door you've made. I'm sure you'll figure out something. Did you figure out how to lightproof your vent?

5. Nice box man. Looks almost identical to mine haha.

Have you tried that weatherstripping which is typically used for windows and doors? It peels and sticks. Run it around the gaps/seems on your door. Also, like the inside of your box with some black/white poly film. Will help bounce your light around the box for sure, and help cover any holes you may have, like where your cords run out at. You can also use that reflective aluminum duct work tape over any seems and holes.

And like the others said. Silicone some too. Good luck man

6. The door is definitely gonna be a struggle. Im gonna end up with like 6 latches to lock it down to the weather stripping!

As for the exhaust, I have foil tape that ill be using to make sure there is no light leaking through. For the intake, I have two ideas that should eliminate light. First, I'll be making a light trap with some leftover plywood and 2x4's. The intake is going to be in a dark corner of the basement that, with the box in the way, gets very little light to begin with. Second, im going to build a frame that will hold a HEPA filter on the inside of the box. Both the light trap and the filter should block all the light.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Are you talking about the type of weather stripping like I have down at the very bottom of the second picture? It's the only pic I already had that showed some of it, sorry its hard to see!

And I know, I should already have had the b&w poly up! I have it on the door and one panel of the box, but I was super lazy about doing it and now its too late to matter much. I have a 6'x4'x8' box that I'm finishing up for the flower room. I'm putting the panda film up before I move the girls over there. Once I do, I'll finish putting it up in the veg box as well.