Flourecent horticulture lights

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by meditate, Jun 22, 2009.

1. I have been reading up and asking friends for information on growing for about a year and a half now. One subject that I never really looked up was growing from seedling all the way until harvest under just flourecent horticulture lights.

I've never actually had the chance to grow just yet but I'm trying to figure out a least cost efficent way to producing some top-notch primo buds.

Could somebody PLEASE help me on this subject?

2. most people suggest HPS lights - I also am doing research into indoor growing as I am moving next summer to live with a friend of mine. I have heard mixed opnions about the method you are asking about. So it is possible for sure as I understand it to grow under only T5 lights, but I can't tell you whether or not the bud will be as potent and overall as good as the prefered method of HPS lights. T5s are better money-wise for sure though. They use much less energy and produce much less heat. Take my info w a grain of salt as I am new to understanding indoor grows, never mind the fact that I am trying my first grow ever, and it's outdoors.

3. #3 darookie2000, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2009
    CFLs (t5's are technically CFL) are decent for vegetative growth, but my understanding is that it will yield airy buds - they lack the density and weight of a HID (HPS or MH) grown bud.

I'm growing under a 600W HPS now, and I'm really happy with the results so far. HPS during veg is supposed to stretch the plants a bit, but I haven't noticed much stretching, many people use a MH bulb during veg and a HPS bulb during flower. I'm looking at a CMH bulb, though, it seems really interesting and might save me a bit of electricity since I can run them on 400W ballasts and you don't have to switch bulbs in the middle because they are supposed to have the right spectrum for either phase of growth.

4. Current wisdom is to use MH during veg and HPS during flowering. You can get MH bulbs that are compatable with HPS ballasts so save a bit there - that is what I am doing now.