Florida.. MMJ

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by BenderBob, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Any updates on HJR 1407 yet?

2. every old person i know thinks medical marijuana will be like the pill mill problem here.

so i think it'll be a while.

3. i wish it would pass

id just be happy with decriminalization tho

4. i don't think it'll pass here

at least not for a very longgggggggggg time.

5. if all the old people down there were educated on pot it'd probably be legal.. so many old fuckers down there with ailments

6. I did a little research on the bill , , and (i'm not a lawstudent or anything) but if you look at the original link posted

HJR 1407 - Medical Use of Cannabis

You can see where the bill stands , it's currently waiting to be voted on by the

Criminal Justice Subcommittee

I believe their are 15 people(Criminal Justice Subcommittee) that are voting on this, if the majority of them vote to pass then this bill moves to the next step. .

-I THINK-
    This would include lawmakers writing in the provisions and outlines of the bill itself,
    which is basically, if a doctor prescribes medical marijuana to a patient then that patient can legally posses marijuana and toke.

I don't think there will be any updates too soon because this issue won't be voted on by the "Criminal Justice Subcommittee" till May 30th , the latest. I think <-

--I just read the whole bill, and i'll attempt to lay out exactly whats happening in Florida with HJF 1407 in the post Below this - - gimme a few minutes

7. HJR 1407 -

If anything is wrong here I'm sorry, I'm not too fluent with law but I'm going to try my best to explain. If you see anything wrong please feel free to correct anything I say. I'm only going off of pure reasoning from what I've read. Not experience.

Where we are NOW -

Subcommittee Review
    Often, bills are referred to a subcommittee for study and hearings. Hearings provide the opportunity to put on the record the views of the executive branch, experts, other public officials and supporters, and opponents of the legislation.

---- Right now we need everyone to call their local representatives and tell them we are for HJR 1407.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/data/civics/senate_idealaw.pdf

^Look here and we are right at Committee Hearings ^

Hopefully it passes here and then I believe comes the real legislative process

- I can't wait to see Florida's views on MMJ.

How many grams/oz a person can legally have for medical use. ?

How many plants they can grow.?

Will dispensaries be coming to Florida?

I believe the subcommittee has until May, 30th 2011, to vote on HJR 1407 and from there my questions above will be written into the bill and they'll argue back and forth revising a million times until its finally voted on and If officially passed will become effective July, 1st 2013.

I know it seems like a long way but it all has to start somewhere :)

8. Great info thanks

9. I would love for it to happen. But most likely it won't. There's too many idiot bible thumpers down here. Weed laws are strict as fuck. BUT if it does make progress before i move i will definitely be supporting it and spreading the word. I can dream :eek:

10. Democrats can't do shit in Florida, the Republicans have a super majority in the state legislature and Rick Scott is governor so Republicans can do what ever the hell they want and the Dems. can't do anything about it

Plus the retirees are too damn conservative down here, Florida is a big time red state no hope for MMJ here anytime soon

11. Well since its the last month to vote I figured id put this up. Copy and paste it and email to your Reps, its well worth your time.

I'm writing you regarding House Joint Resolution (HJR) 1407, which seeks to authorize the legislature to establish regulations regarding the physician-supervised use of marijuana, and to mandate an affirmative defense from criminal prosecution to select patients. If passed, the HJR 1407 would place the issue on the 2012 ballot, where voters would decide ‘yes’ or ‘no’ on the proposal.

According to a recent statewide poll, 57 percent of Floridians support allowing authorized patients legal access to marijuana as a medicine.

The use of marijuana as medicine is a public health issue; it should not be part of the war on drugs. According to a national survey of U.S. physicians conducted for the American Society of Addiction Medicine, nearly half of all doctors with opinions support legalizing cannabis as a medicine. Some 80 state and national health care organizations, including the American Nurses Association, American Public Health Association and The New England Journal of Medicine, support immediate, legal patient access to medical cannabis.

Recently, the largest association of doctors of internal medicine and the second largest medical association in the country, the American College of Physicians, released a policy paper in support of medical cannabis, stating, "The ACP strongly urges protection from criminal or civil penalties for patients who use medical marijuana as permitted under state laws."

Fifteen states - Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington ­ and the District of Columbia have enacted laws protecting medical marijuana patients from state prosecution. These laws are operating primarily as lawmakers intended and have not led to widespread abuses among adolescents or adult recreational users.

The goal of HJR 1407 is not to sanction the use of marijuana by the general population. Rather it is to provide a legal defense for qualified patients. I hope you consider my opinion regarding HJR 1407.

12. This would be awesome

13. Bill died in sub committee.

14. Why does this not surprise me..:mad:

15. #36 TheGoodDank, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2011
    I've been waiting for some more news about my Sunshine State! From what I've observed there seems to be a whole lot of people on this forum from Florida. Anyway, I hope it passes because I'm pretty sure (depending on the policies) that I'm qualified for a MMJ card, I have Insomnia and ADHD and anxiety. It seems the world is finally realizing the benefits of our wonderful herb.

16. DUDE You can get mmj for adhd OMFG SWAG:hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:

17. Fucking buzzkill of the century dude holy fuck.

[​IMG]

18. Sorry breh thats just the way it is. Welcome to one of the most conservative states in the US. I'm wishing we had Jeb Bush or Charlie Crist right now, anybody but Rick Scott

19. Rick Scott wouldn't let in MMj cus he owns the pill farms here that kill people. Can't earn money if people arn't on your addictive and deadly pills now can we?