FLORIDA ITS ON COURT APPROVES

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Storm Crow, Jan 27, 2014.

1. #1 Storm Crow, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/court-approves-medical-marijuana-vote-in-florida/

Court approves medical marijuana vote in Florida   

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - A proposed constitutional amendment to allow the medical use of marijuana will go before Florida voters in November after the state Supreme Court narrowly approved the ballot language Monday.

The 4-3 decision is a victory for personal injury lawyer John Morgan, who spent $4 million on a medical marijuana petition drive, and a defeat for Attorney General Pam Bondi, who fought to keep the question off the ballot.

The decision comes three days after Morgan secured enough voter signatures to make the ballot. He made a massive push in December and January to beat the Feb. 1 deadline instead of waiting for the Supreme Court decision - a gamble that has now paid off.

Neither Morgan nor Bondi immediately returned messages left on their cellphones after the decision was announced.

Medical marijuana is legal in 20 states and the District of Columbia, and Colorado and Washington state allow recreational use.

Polls have shown strong support for the measure. Gov. Rick Scott last week said he plans to vote against it, but he said he would respect the voters' wishes if it is approved. The measure must receive 60 percent approval from voters. The Democrats hoping to challenge Scott - former state Sen. Nan Rich and former Gov. Charlie Crist - support medical marijuana.

Bondi challenged the ballot summary, saying the language was misleading and a more widespread use of marijuana would be allowed than what voters would be led to believe.

Justices Barbara Pariente, Fred Lewis, Peggy Quince and James Perry said the ballot language was clear.

"The proposed amendment has a logical and natural oneness of purpose - namely, whether Floridians want a provision in the state constitution authorizing the medical use of marijuana, as determined by a licensed Florida physician," they wrote. "The ballot title and summary fairly inform voters of the chief purpose of the amendment and will not mislead voters, who will be able to cast an intelligent and informed ballot."

Justices Ricky Polston, Charles Canady and Jorge Labarga dissented.

"Placing this initiative's title and summary on the ballot will result in Floridians voting on a constitutional amendment in disguise," Polston wrote. He took issue with the ballot summary saying medical marijuana would be allowed for patients with debilitating diseases, but the amendment also allows the use for patients with debilitating conditions, which might not be a disease.

GET BUSY!!!  :yay: :hello: :smoke:

Granny

2. I have friends on facebook that have been bummed out in the past over the lawmakers in Florida lack of compassion.

If it passes I will be sending a fat care package that direction. :)

I have issue with the part in bold. Why are these lawmakers in opposition pushing for "disease only" conditions for using medical marijuana? Not too compassionate are they. Vote 'em out! 

4. #4 Storm Crow, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
    Throw a "Political Party" for the "Bud Bowl" game!   Get some voter registration forms (post office), some "buds and suds", and invite your friends over. Everyone gets a voter registration form and has a good time! :smoke:  :smoking:  :bongin:    They can't vote if they aren't registered!

If you aren't familiar with medical use, start learning! Those "Old Fogies" can be our best allies!  Once the medical facts about cannabis become know, the need for legalization becomes obvious!  Get a copy of my List (bottom of my sig) and read the news articles for a quickie course in MMJ.

Cannabidiol is less frightening to those who have been brainwashed by DARE, etc.  It is what those kids with epilepsy are using to stop their seizures. It also may stop certain cancers in their tracks! And it is a blessing for diabetics- CBD slows/ stops diabetic retinopathy, neuropathic pain, and diabetic cardiopathy- all serious complications. (Doesn't help with blood sugar levels, though- can't have everything!)  Articles are in the List.

Granny

5. It lowers A1C levels as well.  (I think).  So do you think I should have no troubles getting a card for type 1?

6. #6 guest30011140, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    It depends on whether diabetes is included by the state as a qualifying condition. For example, in AZ you cannot get your card solely for having diabetes.

Edit: Thanks for this post, Granny. If Florida passes, more than 50% of our congress will belong to medical marijuana states!

7. All of you Florida Blades, if you aren't already registered to vote get yourself to your local courthouse and register....AND VOTE.....

8. Visits to my Madre are about to get even more fun. She signed the petition and can't wait to vote

9. So ready for November. You know its got my vote! I think its got a great chance. I think I read some where that like 80% of Floridians are in favor of some type of mmj :)Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. It will be legalized medically if we get the votes, which is a step forward. But I wish it was recreational.

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Grasscity Forum mobile app