Floranova Bloom and coco

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Nissty, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Does anyone use floranova bloom with coco? I am trying to find out if i need to supplement it with cal-mag since it already has 4% calcium and 2% mag.
    Heres the label.

Total Nitrogen (N) 4.0 %
    0.25% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
    3.75% Nitrate Nitrogen
    Available Phosphate (P205) 8.0 %
    Soluble Potash (K20) 7.0 %
    Calcium (Ca) 4.0 %
    Magnesium (Mg) 2.0 %
    2.0% Water Soluble Magnesium (Mg)
    Sulfur (S) 2.0 %
    2.0% Combined Sulfur
    Chelated Iron (Fe) 0.1 %
    0.1% Chelated Iron
    Derived from: Ammonium Molybdate, Ammonium
    Phosphate, Calcium Nitrate, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Sulfate,
    Manganese Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Borate,
    Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron
    DTPA
    Information regarding contents and levels of metals in this product is
    available on the internet at State Internet Sites for Trace Metal Analysis of Fertilizer Products Registered in Those States
    F-1109

2. So nobody knows about floranova?

3. i just switch from the canna A & B Coco to Floranova as my base nutrients. im still vegging right now so i dont really have a answer. but i do add cal-mag 150 ppms (about 4 ml per gallon) but i do use RO water that comes out about 60ppms, my last grow i used the Canna A & B coco for my base but i still added 150ppms for cal-mag to it. i had good results i got a little over a lb. a 1000 watt but i didnt like how there in only one formula the whole cycle not like most base nutrients that have a Grow and a Bloom. Im a novice Coco Grower this is about my thrid or fourth grow in coco since i switched over from Soil. in soil i have had very good results with the Nova as my base but when i swiched over coco i started doing a more sea of green method. right now i have just used the last of my A&B on about 80% of my plants the other 20% i gave the the nova Grow ( both mixs had 150 ppms of cal-mag) and i cant tell the differences between the two. if u want i can post some pics show u what the nova looks likes on my coco crop. and to my understanding if ur using RO water u always put 150ppms of cal-mag in no matter what medium. cuz your taking out all of the good and bad shit in your water in this process so u need to put the good shit back in (Cal,Mg,Iron) to your water.
    hope this helps little ill get back to u with more info on how the Nove is doing on my coco grow.

4. Thanks for the advice Lui. My RO water comes out around 8-10 ppm, so I will need cal-mag for sure. I never thought about adding cal-mag everytime in soil but will in coco for sure. So whatever my nutes mixture is I should always add a dose of cal-mag on top of that? and if useing water without nutes I should add about a half dose to get 150-200 ppm?

5. yes i would use cal-mag in your mix aswell as when just using plain water. I always mix cal-mag first the reason for this is the owner at my local hydro Store told me if u don't mix cal-mag first you are more likely to get nutrient lockout . I wish I could explain it better but he said that phosphorus likes to bond to the cal-mag and it will throw your mix out of whack locking out all your phosphorus. Im not 100% sure I could be wrong but this what I do it seems to work alright but i do still consider myself as a novice coco grower and these or just things that i have found to work for me so take everything i tell u with a grain of salt(as u should with anyone, at least i do). But im still kind of confused on this subject when it comes to mixing cal-mag and the order in mixing your nutrients recipe. This was another reason I switched back to the Nova from the Canna A&B coco base I read this I while back

“The key is to mix your two part nutrients into the fresh water first. This allows the chemical process to carry out. You don't want to add your cal-mag or bloom stuff first as it can bond with parts of the A before you add the B resulting in salts and an imbalance.

I've tried a few things, from experience I prefer to mix A and B together in good clean water then add my enzymes and biologicals, then the cal-mag and micro, then the humics/fulvics, and finally the extra potassium and bloom supplements at the end. Then I balance the reservoir to 5.4 -5.6, run an air stone for 12 hours, and then rebalance to 5.8 if it has risen past 6.0 during the settling time."

Anyways here is my last mix in the order I mixed the nutrients in:
    This was a 25 gallon mix
    Ro Water: 61ppm/pH6.9
    Cal-Mag: 232ppm/pH 6.5/100ml
    roots Excelurator: 232ppm/pH 6.5/25ml
    Piranha: 232ppm/pH 6.5/45ml
    Tarantula: 359ppm/pH 6.5/45ml
    Cannazym: 398ppm/pH 6.5/250ml
    Diamond Nectar: 410ppm/ pH 6.3/100ml
    Flora Nova Grow: 873ppm/pH 5.7/100ml
    Mixed at 6:51 pm 873ppm/pH 5.7
    final reading at 8:51 pm 877ppm/pH 5.9

i let it sit for a hour or so to let every thing mix up good and make sure the pH is stabe it this case it was two hours. i record everything and then log it on a spread sheet,like which plants i watered, what i watered with, what time i water, and the high and low temp and rH each day. its kind of a lot of work but if i ever have a problem u can uselly trace it back and it will give u a better idea of what is going wrong. i also test the ppms and pH after each product i mix to get a better understanding how each product effects the ppms and the pH. i know its a lot of work but it seems to help me out and have had good results over the last 3 years or so i have been grow i do notice a diffence when i do keep really good track compard to when i dont log everything.

heres a link to a site that has a lot of good grow infomation i read here a lot and seem to learn something new every time i do there is also a really good artcle on coco fiber u some read i learned a lot from it on coco.
    hope this helps

Grow Information - Grow Science - Articles - Nutrients, Additives, RootZone

Heres the one on coco:
    Grow Information - Grow Media - Organic Coco Grow Media

6. Thanks Liu, I didn't know that about the cal-mag, and will make sure i mix it in last. Today i watered for the first time in coco and my mix of 1 gal RO water and 1tsp (5ml) of cal-mag put me at 300 ppm, which seemed kinda hot since my seed hasnt broken ground yet but I added it anyway so we will see what happens.

7. I mix the cal-mag first the my base (nova) last then everything else in the middle. but i read on this site thats where the quote came from where the guy mixed the cal-mag in the middle of his mix. and for your seed ya i would just give it 150ppm of cal-mag but u should be alright with the 300ppm right now be i would scale in down a little just to me safe. sorry man i hope i didnt confuse use at all, but ya man i mix the cal-mag first always up to about 150ppms then i mix my nutrietns, always mixing the Base nutrients last well too.

8. Well the seed popped and is about a 1/2" out of the dirt now so I guess the 300ppm of cal-mag was ok. The shell hasn't popped off the stem yet though so can't see any leaves yet. I got a little shot glass that measures ml because I was relying on measuring spoons for cooking, so my measurements can be a bit more precise now. Hopefully all goes well. My soil plants are finishing up so i'm excited to move everything to coco soon.