Flood/drain... No pump

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by FreshnootBudz, May 7, 2011.

1. Hey guys, I just had to abandon my hopes of growing in a dwc system cause the pump was just too loud. So now I'm wondering if I built a flood and drain but left all the watering to me and not a pump would this work? I think it should but really not too sure.... So any input on the topic would help alot or if there's another way to go ( NO SOIL) I would love to hear it as long as there is no constant pump. Thanx guys

2. its possible...

have the table or buckets elevated... and raise and lower the res to flood and drain.... three times a day for 15 minutes...

or, you can order a cheapo inline pump for like 20 dollars and get a timer and never think about it

3. Ahh but here comes another problem... I'm growing in a series of cabinets(veg,clones,flower) so having a traditional raised flood n drain is not an option. I guess I can just do it by hand n hope for the best..... I'm still open for more ideas caus plants jst sprouted today so thrs still time...
    Thanks guys

4. What a pain in the ass to hand water!!!

If you do hand watering, plan NEVER to go anywhere for longer than 3hrs at a time...

The ONLY noise out of an Ebb and Gro (flood and drain) is the air pump.. Which is the problem you was having with the DWC system...

You do not need to pump air into the res with an Ebb&Gro, I have been growing with a DIY Ebb&Gro system for the past 3yrs or so and do not use ANY air pumps... If you keep the res changed regularly you will not have a problem at all...

The water pump makes NO noise, because when my pumps comes on, the only way I know it is on is because the water level in my res starts dropping..

So if you're only concerned about the pump noise, go to a Ebb&Gro flood and drain with no air pumps and you'll be fine.... :smoke:

5. Hey thank for a response that actually helps,
    Now the only concern I have w/ this is.... I grow in cabinets so I wudnt be able to have my res. Below my grow bucket(tray that wud get flooded) so can I have it away from that even if it's higher in elevation than where the plants are( almost like the system that uses buckets)? So try to imagine my setup... I just don't know if it wud work caus of my grow box situation( grow tray is almost level w/ the floor) pls if. U have any more input on this that wud be very helpful