Flimsy stems!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Surf45, May 5, 2017.

1. I have a pretty rudimentary set up indoors with tent and lights. For the pat few days they have looked healthy and perky but today the stem on one of the bigger plants is lip sided a bit. Any tips? Thanks

2. Thanks for taking a look!

Attached Files:

3. My bad for the typo's.

4. Looks like the guy was reaching for the light. You have posted nothing on your set up so that is my best guess.

5. Hey thank you. It's really basic. Just a tent and hanging light board. I know I'm going to get lit up for this but I don't have a fanning system inside of it. Is that a must have no way around it part that I need?

6. When it gets bigger yeah. A fan more or less helps to remove old oxygen(byproduct from the leaves) and brings in new fresh co2. It also moves the leaves to get different angles on the light.

7. Okay cool thank you. As for now, are there any other basic things I should be doing besides giving them nutrients every so often?

8. Set it up to let them grow into the light, and leave them alone. Remember they do not need a ton of water at the start, this is a very big issue for new growers.

9. Okay sounds good thank you. One more and I'm done ahah should I wait until they get bigger to get an exhaust and air fan ?

10. If you don't have a fan in there with them that's why they have week stems, having constant air movement helps strengthen their little stems. That was my first mistake when I first started growing, they stretched and flopped over. I didn't have enough light and no fan

Attached Files:

12. So should I get an exhaust fan and regular fan?

13. I learned that when I started to grow as well. But I really don't even suggest it for that it really doesn't help as much as you think. Just use silica if you want strong stems.

14. You can just put a oscillating fan in there, an exhaust fan would be for when it gets too hot. I'd replant those up to the leaves if I were you.

I mean it's no myth that a plant will adapt to it's environment, put it somewhere windy and it's stem will strengthen up to withstand getting blown around. Silica helps too tho :)

15. Thanks so much. I keep going down the rabbit hole on the internet and read for hours. You guys are really helping out. I'm going to do both and introduce a fan and some silica ito their diet. Any recommendations on the size of fan? Any specifics

16. Also any tips on reporting? Should I use the same soil I put the sprouts in ? I have wormcastings that I could mimic into it

17. Depends what you are feeding it. I don't grow with wormcastings so I can't answer fully. Fan is up to you, I am still looking for a new one -.- They seem to go pretty quick and I still havent't decided what I am replacing it with. I want like an adjustable tower fan, only decent one I seen was like 60$. Wanted more options :(

For when they are small just a small breeze is nice. So if you have something already around you can do that.

18. I actually just ordered a nutrient "go pack" by grow organics I believe there brand is. I read some reviews. It seemed the best fit for a newb like me. As for the supplies I've been finding brands online then buying off of amazon for relatively cheap.

19. Also the plants are gorilla glue strain 4 I believe