Flight Shaming Takes Off

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Vee, Jan 10, 2020.

1. [​IMG]
    Sweden has seen a 4% drop in the number of people flying via its airports,a rare decrease in recent years for a European country.

More than 40 million people travelled through the country's 10 airports, compared with 42 million
    during 2018.Domestic travel was down further, at 9%, according to Sweden's airport operators,
    Swedavia. The figures come as the Swedish-born movement of "flight shaming" is gaining prominence.
    Swedavia spokesman Robert Pletzin said there were a number of reasons for the decrease, citing Swedish aviation tax, softening economy worries, the weak Swedish crown and the climate debate.

Flygskam or "flight shame" originated in Sweden in 2017, when Swedish singer
    Staffan Lingberg pledged to give up flying.

A number of people have since decided to take on the challenge of travelling without flying.
    More than 22,500 people have signed a pledge to go flight-free in 2020.

The last occasions where air passenger numbers dropped had distinct reasons -
    the 9/11 terror attacks and the financial crash.

Aside from Sweden, Europe is still seeing an increase in the number of people flying.
    The EU overall saw figures rise to 1.1 billion passengers in 2018, up from 1 billion the year before.

In 2018, the UK saw more than 272 million passengers, up from 264 million in 2017.

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) says current trends suggest passenger
    numbers could double to 8.2 billion by 2037. Cities in Asia are expected to overtake
    European cities in regards to air passenger markets.

2. I love that there's a word specifically for "flight shaming." This is why the Scands are superior.

I have a pretty hefty air footprint, but I'm all for cutting it out. Along with the environmental benefits, it's a much better way to experience travel and our world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thats pretty stupid. Only gonna increase the price of airfare.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. <-- making things worse as fast as I can. I drive a HUGE ancient Truck that gets 4 mpg.
    Leave the lights on when I'm not home. Leave the furnace cranked up to 90 degs.
    Do all you can to speed the end of the world.
    The SKY IS falling. WOOHOO !!! Bring on the end.
    [​IMG]

BNW

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. well the swiss have become ignorant as fuck. flying is hands down the most economical and least carbon foot print way to travel long distances.....

• Like Like x 1
  6. The smug cloud coming from Sweden must be massive.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. bet a nice little pilgrimage beats flying...

8. Ehhh I have seen some pretty amazing things from the cock pit of a plane. But like my father says, yes it nice to see the world from different perspectives, just don’t keep it high and fast all the time...... but driving is mindless, flying is very engaging.

9. Pilot? awesome! I’ve only flown a handful of times in my life but you bet I’ve only ever sat in the window seat.
    I’ve been watching Vikings so when I said pilgrimage I’m thinking a nice little 3 month walk lol.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ahhh ya that too, I wanna do the Appalachian trail so bad! Also ya really dull driving or walking areas are a lo better from the cockpit lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. I hate flying because it feels as if I'm being treated like a criminal. Having to empty my pockets and take my shoes off? Seems stupid when profiling works. Planes used to have adequate room and the stewardess were attractive. Now flying seems like a necessary evil to get someplace.