Fitness People

Discussion in 'General' started by 4_2_0, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Here's the story:

I'm 6'-1" and 225 lbs. and 38 years old. I'm a LAZY individual. A lazy individual with a high metabolism. On a typical day, I eat as follows:

2 cups of coffee for beakfast with splenda, not sugar, 2 slices of pizza, a whole sub-sandwich that usually involves some sort of fried food (shrimp parm, veal parm eggplant parm, chicken francais), some sort of dessert and a 32 oz. snapple for lunch, 2 plates of whatever my wife makes for dinner ( she's not overly health consious about her cooking, but dinner usually revolves around skinless, boneless chicken breast), sometime after dinner (5:00 ish) and when I go to bed (11:00 ish) I consume the following: 1 ham sandwich, 2 NY style oven pretzels sans salt, 1/2 a bag of some sort of munchable (Wise Cheese Doodles or Tostito's) and either 2 bowls of cereal or 2 bowls of ice cream.

As you can see, I eat constantly from about 2:00 pm till I go to bed. I participate in ABSOLUTELY NO physical activity whatsoever, unless grinding herb is considered an activity. Up until now, believe it or not, I have only been slightly overweight, meaning I had just a hint of a spare tire and love handles.

Recently, I quit smoking. My diet hasn't changed, but as per usual when quitting smoking 2 packs a day, I gained about 20 lbs, on top of the 5 to 10 lbs I already had. My waist went from 32 inces last year to 34 inches last November to 36 inches currently. My entire life I have eaten like this with no physical activity. I'm at the point where I want to do something about my health ( my cholesterol has to be rediculous).

My problem is that I have no idea where to start. I know from reading things on the forum that there are fellow blades here that have a vast knowledge of this type of thing. Can someone with experience help me out? I'm willing to do the work, I just don't know what to do, how much to do, what to eat, what not to eat, how much to eat etc. I don't want to become Addonis or anything like that, I just want to be healthier and a little slimmer.

Any help is greatly appreciated...........

2. Since you're 38 you'll have to work significantly harder than someone, say, my age (23) at losing weight. Cardio is always good, but don't overdo it. Since your lifestyle is so sedentary right now even walking will help you drop some pounds and just overall feel better.

Don't neglect weight training. In fact, you should weight train more than you do cardio for weight loss, as added muscle mass burns more calories than excess fat does. Drop the fatty sandwiches, go for something like lean protein on whole grain bread with some mustard, get rid of the sugar laiden Snapple and drink some water or diet soda, and stop eating all those snacks at night, or replace them with something healthier, like fruit.

The trick is to start eating healthier- lean proteins, lots of fruit and veggies, minimal carbs (all the carbs you take in should be from whole grain sources, i.e. no white bread, white flour). If you're eating healthy you can virtually eat as much as you want, and healthier whole foods keep you fuller for longer. Just cut back on all the junk, and you'll start losing weight in no time.

3. This is certainly some sound advice!

4. Sound advice indeed.......

But what the hell is a lean protein?

I know the obvious answer to my dilemma is to eat healthier, but I have no idea what lean protiens are, or, more importantly, what foods are considered lean protein. The same goes for whole grains.....

I'm clueless here....

The exercise part I completely understand, but the food thing is where I stumble. I don't know what's good for me. I know what the obvious bad things are, but I don't know what to replace the junk with.

Without being a pain in the ass, could you be a little more specific with regards to my diet?

5. I stumble with all those fancy words too. My advice, just try eating fruit. Perhaps eat Subway sandwichs instead? Those are pretty good. Cut back on the pretzels. Maybe 1 a day? Try to cut back on the salt, and eat more fruit! I can't stress that enough.

As for exercise, simply walk more often. Your lifestyle is such a lazy one, even walking will make you feel better. But, all this has been said before, so...whatever.

Good luck!

6. one big thing i would reccomend is: lay off the sodas.

when having a meal, get water instead. trust me.

7. #7 stoner_lukas, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2009
    Lean proteins are things like fish, chicken, lean cuts of beef (not too much fat), pork, turkey, beans, cottage cheese, and egg whites. Stay away from things like bacon (eat turkey bacon, it's delicious), fatty cuts of pork, chicken skin (remove the skin before you eat it, or just buy boneless/skinless breasts), dark meat chicken, and fatty cuts of beef (tri-tip, chuck). Choose tenderloin for beef.

As for other diet stuff, always choose complex carbs. That means staying away from white breads and white flour, white rice, and keeping potato intake to a minimum. Choose whole grain breads, brown rice (or even basmati rice, which is white, but it has a low glycemic index rating and tastes great, it's the stuff you get with Middle Eastern food), stay away from fried things and too much sugar (choose shredded wheat cereals, even the frosted ones, over something like Lucky Charms) and replace sodas and all sugar-laden "fruit" drinks with water or diet soda, even Crystal Light, which I happen to love.

Complex carbs cause a slow, steady spike in insulin, whereas 'refined' carbs, like all those things I said to stay away from, cause your insulin to spike very quickly and crash even quicker, which leads to greater hunger. Complex carbs will keep you fuller for longer, especially because most complex carbs are also great sources of fiber.

8. small behavioral changes are great too. taking stairs instead of elevators, etc. Im actually a very big fan of stairs as exercise for older ppl. Its pretty aerobic - burms alot of cals/min , likewise it forces your leg muscles to work, furthermore its a heavy weight bearing exercise so your bones will stay stronger.

Lean protein would not include cottage cheese (maybe if it was skim) or fish, as these are both very fatty. Luckily fish fats are generally better for you than most animal fats (farmed fish have drastically less than natural fish- and the colder water fish are generally better)

I also wouldnt be too concerned about simple vs complex carbs as fruits are sources of simple sugars but also provide nutrients and some fiber. Just stay away from junk food that provide nothing but calories

Really, just follow the food pyramid. Eat lots of whole grains and veggies - for the fiber and nutes- Lots of fruit for energy and nutes. Meat, fish, dairy, and legumes all provide 'sustenance' to keep you full and help restore/maintain tissues.

I used a website called mypyramidtracker.gov which allowed you to type in what you eat and analyze your cals and breakdown what food groups you may be lacking. You may wanna use that or another website to actually look at your nutritional needs.

9. Thanks everyone for the advice.......

I'm gonna try to eat healthier starting this week....

BTW, I'm not a soda guy, well not anymore, I have pretty bad acid reflux disease and eliminating soda made me feels 10x better than any prescription my doctor ever gave me.

10. There is no secret to fitness or weight loss. Atkins dieting and all those other bullshit diet pills don't work. If you want to lose weight you can break it down to two things:

1. You need to reduce the amount of calories you consume each day, and everything in moderation.
    2. You need to work your ass off at exercising. If you are burning off more calories than you are consuming, you will lose weight.

That's it.

No secret methods and no special training guides. Just work hard at exercising each and everyday. For example, High Intensity Interval Training (cardio) 6 or 7 days a week and weight training 3 times a week will have you seeing results in no time.

The best research you can do is to go check out John Stone Fitness - Welcome!

This guy I think was around your age when he started his transformation. Granted he used to be a top tier athlete unlike you who has been sedentary most of your life, but his results are real and his diet and exercise plans are all on there for you to try.

Join the forums at bodybuilding.com or on johnstonefitness.com and you will have all your questions answered there by really intelligent people who know their shit and really want to help.

Good luck my friend.