fisn tank water

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mr.pothead, Oct 6, 2002.

1. i recently changed the water in my fish tank,it was real nasty,full of fish shit. anyway i poured it on a pepper plant i have growing that was almost dead. 2 days later i went outside to check on it and it looked like a new plant very healthy looking. would this work for pot too?

2. fish tank water can be very hi in nitrogen...dont over fert using it with something like miracle grow...water ur fish water down :)

3. Good idea, but i would not attempt to use the water, unless you are able to accurately measure the Nit content.

4. All you need to test in your fish water is a nitrate test kit.

There are 3 parts to the nitrogen cycle in nature. the first is ammonia that is the raw fish waste and rotting dead animals on the bottom of a lake or pond. (This is bad for plants btw)

Second step in the breakdown of wastes is Nitrite also highly toxic to plants and animals.

the final step of the nitrogen cycle is nitrate. this is the nutrient you want your plants to have. if your fish live in your tank you wont have any ammonia or nitrite because its toxic to fish. so if you water your plants with your fish tank water it will be fine. you can measure the nitrate with a 10 dollar test kit from the local pet store.