Fishing

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by drumdude, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Northern Lake Michigan and Lake Superior are my favorite places to go fishing. And I'm less than 50 miles from each.

Usually I fish Walleye, Northern Pike, Salmon, Rock Bass, Trout, and Yellow Perch. Yum.

Nothing like a day at the lake with a couple joints and a six pack.

2. I really want to start fishing, seems like a fun hobby that really catches my EAR when I hear some people talkign about it.

What would I need to start out?

3. not a whole hell of alot man. you need a rod, a reel with line, and some bait/ tackle. oh yeah and a large sack of weed. depending where you live will dictate what kind of gear... satlwater= bigger heavyer stuff, and freshwater you would use lighter gear. have fun man!!

4. Yeah, go to Dick's Sporting Goods and buy one of their twenty dollar rods, a set of hooks and bobbers (If you're planning on casting and letting the bait sit, rather than casting and retrieving). Depending on where you fish, it's better to start off with a thinner line (Something along the lines of 6-pound test) rather than going all out and throwing 20-pound test on a reel that can only handle ten yards of it. I see this all the time.

Now, if you're planning on Fly Fishing, I know where you can find a fairly good and inexpensive setup to get you started, and I can also point you in the direction of a miriad of information regarding the different line knots that you'll need to know to set up your reel.

5. Thanks for the help guys, this weekend I'm going out to get some stuff with some friends who also know what to look for. Should be cool.

6. if your ganna be fishin a pong or a lake where theres from structure..throw out some spinnerbaits..get yaself some damn bass or even a pike :)[​IMG]

7. I hate boats but I love fishing so all my fishing is for large specimen carp - i've had some results this season too :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

catching is a bonus though - my fave reason for fishing ... the chillness ...

[​IMG]

8. I love fishing... been way too long since I've been though.

9. Yup, got a boat.

I mostly use my trolling motor to troll for pickerel (walleye) or trout early in the mornin'.

I don't get up to Lake Ontario much, but its fun catching massive salmon.

10. nothing beats carp fishing, waiting for those buzzers to go!

11. fly fishing for carp is a whole nother ballgame my friends.... u gotta see it, ast about 10 feet in front of its path, then hope it takes.

also, to the guy who is goin fly fishing on the platte, u need to bring some shrimp patterns. the shrimp live in the resivoirs then wash out through the damns. fish can really key in on em. feel free to pm me with any questions. i tie flys and love fly fishing so i can talk about it for days.

12. i've been fishing all my life and i love it. lately i've been river fishing a lot catching mostly trout and the occasional salmon, but now im just waiting for the lakes to freeze over so i can ice fish.

Anybody here ice fish as well?

13. yea i have fished my whole life one of my favorite hobbies....actually me and my uncle are very into, pretty harcore actually...we fish the wednesday and friday rodeos here on my hometown lake.....a rodeo is a bass tournament of about 20 to 50 boats every week, usually with a twenty a boat type deal....

but i love catchin bass especially smallmouth we actually have the world record caught right here in tn i think it weighed about 12lbs i could a smallie that weighed about 6lbs in the river once, and damn do those river smallies fight like hell

we even fish hardcore in the wintertime for bass....we use i technique called floating the fly basically you have about a ten foot rod, light action reel, 4lb test, and a float, and the ducktail fly suspends off the bottom.....boys its crazy catchin 3lb smallies on 4lb test

14. spearfishing is where its at

15. hell yea, me and a buddy just started bow fishing for carp this past summer it was pretty fun aswell

16. hey cheebaa, anyone ever tell you that you kinda look like mark wahlberg?

17. I love fishing me and my dad go all summer. Sadly he dosnt really aprove of me smoking so I respect him and dont when we go.

18. i could never get into fishing just too non-fun formee

19. hell yea i would fish all day every day if i could

20. hell yeah i fish in all types of weather and conditions