Fishing?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Dizzy, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Got destroyed by weather last month at Fish Lake Utah. Front came through at 9k elevation and fishing done. Relocated to Vegas but would rather stayed and fished. No fishing really here in Texas panhandle.

2. Mainly freshwater fisherman, but I have fished for salmon and steal head in freshwater rivers.
    I have gone Cod and salmon fishing in the ocean.
    I have done allot of fishing in Oregon Idaho Wyoming and Nevada. Some fishing in Utah and Arizona.

I like eating fresh fish and most the places I go fishing i catch enough for me and my better half and the dogs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I forgot there’s was a fishing thread.:thumbsup:
    I’ve been getting out on the river every weekend since November. im glad it’s warming up now. They all should be biting a little better.

• Like Like x 1
  4. My resolution this year is to fish more and keep more fish. I spend A LOT of time doing yard work, so I gotta get some restful weekends on the calendar.
    Went trolling for walleye and still-fishing for perch last weekend; didn’t catch anything, but my buddy and I had the whole stretch of river to ourselves. Glassy water, tried out some new crank baits and paddled 4.5 miles.

• Like Like x 1
  5. After my wife’s grandpa and dad both passed away within a month of each other, I told my wife I plan on going fishing whenever I can. Life is too short not to enjoy it.
    We’ve lived less than 3 minutes from the river and I hadn’t been on it in 3 years.And like her grandpa always said…”if you’re too busy to go fishing,then you’re too darn busy”
    A1113AB4-891D-45B4-930B-BF4C93CD1176.jpeg
    Caught this little guy the other day. A little over 24 inches and almost 8 pounds.
    I found a huge nest of them and have caught over 20 of them in the past 2 weeks

6. What is that? Looks like a good fish!

7. It’s a bowfin, around here they call them mud fish. 84996A58-1197-4141-BC4D-8AE302E83863.jpeg they say they’re good eating in the winter when the water is cooler but when the water warms up their meat turns too mush. I’ve never tried any
    They are quite the predators and eat just about anything with a mouthful of teeth. They’re fun to catch because they put up a heck of a fight

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fishing was one thing that my father and I had in common before I got into music . He was a bluegrass musician along with several of his brothers . I'm sure that my love of music came from our fishing trips. He always carried his guitar with him and if one or more of his brothers came it was certainly going to be some music played when we went fishing especially if we'd be gone for a day or so .
    I live in the piedmont section on NC. and have for most of my life.
    One thing there is plenty of in this area of NC is water . There are Rivers , ponds , lakes and a few hours to the east is the Atlantic ocean and several hours to the west there were plenty of trout streams in the Blue Ridge mountains and we fished most of them over the years !
    We enjoyed fishing together.
    I have plenty of fond memories of our fishing excursions !

9. Your dad sounds like a pretty cool dude. My dad always fished when I was a kid and I never wanted anything to do with it. Years later when I started fishing he was burned out and wanted nothing to do with it.
    I went to school and worked in Greensboro for about 6 years. I loved it there. I’m only a few hours south and I keep telling my wife I’d like to go back for a weekend.
    I fished a pond that was across the street from me every day. There was a huge carp in the pond and I tried almost every day for that 6 years and that thing would come to the edge of the water and look at me like I was an idiot and he wasn’t falling for it.

10. Work hours are crazy and I always forget to post when I get out.
    Some crappie and bluegill

A16A4E0B-D00B-4416-8A72-44A657DEBE93.jpeg
    Got a few this size to make the Mrs. some fish tacos
    24395BE1-8F0D-4C62-ADEC-0F3E91C3139B.jpeg
    We went out and my buddy got his first cat. We forgot to measure and weigh it.

174DA240-0A07-4974-8A91-88B136BF1D0B.jpeg
    Got this mean little bugger,he was around 20in

4D3AE88B-4C10-4AC1-B2E1-AD983D23A36A.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Yep. , there are lots of carp around here .
    I have some experience catching them.
    They usually dont bite conventional baits.
    Many years ago I was fishing the Eno river and there was this black dude down the bank from me and i kept seeing him reel in these big ass fish. So after an hour or so I walk down to where he's at to see what it is he's catching and it was carp .
    I ask him how he's catching so many and he tells me it was because of his bait.
    He then he tells me what his bait consists of
    Its a combination of peanut butter and oatmeal rolled into a ball about the size of a marble . He usually made it the day before and refrigerated it
    I hung out there with him the next several hours and witnessed him reel in many more carp.
    He had no cork he fished on the bottom much like I do when catfishing. He had a small hook and a lead weight about 18" from the hook.
    Carp have a very small mouth so the hook doesn't need to be to big
    That was probably about 35 years ago and i still remember him and that story !

• Like Like x 1
  13. The last one I posted is a chain pickerel. Back home we called them pike, but I guess they’re in the pike family

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nice catches. Was going to ask if the last was a northern Pike. Guess I was close lol.

• Like Like x 1
  16. #36 Lloyd867, Oct 4, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
    I used to go fishing being a kid, and now I miss that experience very much ...Fishing is undoubtedly a wonderful bonding experience, especially with loved ones. Hearing your dad's stories while being close to him must have been a cherished memory. As for the fishing gear, considering quality products like ScentLok customer service can enhance the overall experience. Good gear can make your fishing trips even more enjoyable and comfortable, adding to the fun of spending time with family.

17. Cane, beer bottles, string... fishing was dinner. The weird weeds by the pond . A pot on the fire. Waking up. Dad's big grin. Good Morning.

18. My husband caught this today. It's called a sea Robin. We don't eat them but I thought the yellow on the fins was pretty!

IMG_2525.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. Our Flathead look just like that species body wise, except for those pectoral fins. AU$50 per kilo for flatty tails.