Fish tank water?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by smokeandfly1224, Jan 18, 2015.

1. This might be a stupid question but if I have a fish tank with a snapping turtle that eats pretty much just fish so there is almost always fish swimming around too. My question is would is be beneficial to my plants if I watered with tank water?

2. Check the ph level man.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Yes its good water for plants.

4. Il definitely check the ph should I check ppm too? And this is off subject but my girls will be 3 weeks monday still in veg will they show preflower in veg or do I have to switch to 12/12. There regular blue dream seeds

5. If you are growing organically, ph isn't going to matter, nor does ppm. And yes, regular seeds won't show sex until after the flip.

6. NOT with the turtle!!

Fish are fine, but turtle shit has some nasty pathogens in it.

Do your research and check it out.

Cd

7. #7 BHamBudzNW, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015
    Turtle poo needs to be composted first IMO. So I would use that water to keep a compost pile moist I wouldn't use it on my plants straight from the tank. BUT if you have a spare plant to test on why the hell not try it? Half the fun of growing is experimenting.

Bham

8. Yea I agree on the turtle water. Turtles are huge carriers of salmonella ( probably spelt that wrong ). As well as lots of other nasties like mentioned.

9. Agree. Agree. Disagree....strongly. I am usually able to sex my plants at 6-8 weeks depending on the cultivar.

10. By pre flowers, or growth/structure?

11. #11 BHamBudzNW, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
    Preflowers. Most of my last seeds showed sex in about 30 days, just a few took about 45 (after the first set of TRUE fan leaves). All showed under 24 hrs of light, gotta look for the pistils!

Bham

This is how I do it too.  I keep them in 2 gallon pots until they presex, then I pot up and veg' a few more weeks before flowering.  No wasted space on males...

13. #13 RanchoDeluxe, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    [​IMG]   [​IMG]

It's not quite as apparent as these pics. But this is what I'm looking for. The males are harder to identify. Just have to look for that oval shaped stamen. The skinny 'stalk' that attaches the stamen to the plant is a dead giveaway...females won't do this.

14. I have a few plants right now working on their second and third sets of true fan leaves right now. It's impossible to sex them even with a 10x jewelers' loupe.

I can get away with using square 6" pots, but it takes a few alfalfa teas and I end up having to water everyday and be on top of things. Now I use #3 nursery pots (2-2 1/2 gallons depending on if I fill em up or not) and one alfalfa/kelp tea keeps them healthy enough for me to easily sex them and then do a single transplant into my No-till.

15. #15 Greasemonkeyman, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
    I had a 55 gallon planted tank with gouramis, a big 36" tiretrack eel, some danois and that water was the BEST damn water ever, I was living in the city at the time and the water was fairly chlorinated, so after allowing the water to sit in the sun for a day or two I did a water change on my aquarium, so the water from the aquarium was full of fish poo, and was cycled with two bio-wheels that kept it safe for my fish from the bacteria and microbes that lived on the bio-wheel, anyways it was a great way to get the water from being freshly treated with chlorine/chloromines, to being usable water for my plants. They absolutely loved it, and since you are giving them micro amounts of nutrients I found that I didn't EVER need to feed during flowering. The flowers tasted and smelled amazing. Keep in mind I am a notorious light feeder, I get soo much better results when I go real light on the nutrients..
    I wish I could still have a tank for that purpose alone, but now I have wooden floors... and a filled 55 gallon is damn heavy.... especially If I stood near it, i'm 200lbs alnoe and I think a 55 gallon with water is like 6-7- hundred pounds or so.
    The water is good shit though... literally.
    I had Oscars too and those things shit like craaaazy. I'd go and catch sand dabs from the ocean and feed them to the Oscars
    To be totally honest i'd bet you could use that turtle water with no problems, but like they said, the water may have pathogens... if you really wanted to utilize the nutrients you could run It through a UV sterilizer, like the ones they use in coral reef tanks

16. Just to be a smart ass....55 gallons of water weighs 458lbs. I have a friend who is 6' 8" and weighs around 430lbs...the guy living in his basement is alive and well. Just sayin...

17. I'm confused... I said my plants showed sex 30-45 days AFTER their first set of true fans leaves developed. Making the plants around 12"-16" tall when sexed. Did you misread my post by chance?

Bham

18. Sure as shit. I misread that post man.  I thought you might have been puffin a little too tough lately...LOL!!

My bad.

19. No worries man, I DEFINITELY could have worded it better. I have been smoking a lot of dabs lately. Haha

Bham

20. Reefers...  :smoking: