Fish tank hydroponics

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Bubble_Bubble, Mar 19, 2010.

1. this was an idea I've been playing with for a while. I obviously can't test it out because I'm on probation, but I really want to.

The basic idea is your general set up for a homemade hydroponics setup using around a 75 gallon fish tank, and using foam to hold the baskets in place, fill the baskets with hydroton (to do it the right way) and then cut an additional (much smaller) hole. Then, prior to planting, fill the tank with water, add some wild caught fish of several varieties (I figured store bought fish might not be as hearty), plant your plants, and use the small hole to feed the fish worms or various bugs, and in doing so the fish will poop, releasing vital nitrogen and phosphorous into the water.

Now, I can only guess that I'm not the first person to think of this, but I want to know if anyone has tried it and if they had any success, and I kinda wanna know what everyone else thinks of this plan. One downside I can think of iss being in continual contact with fish might give the buds an "off" flavor, but I dont know if this is entirely true.