Fish Emulsion

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Indica Kid, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Hey GC, looking for some input from people who have used Fish Emulsion as fertilizer for cannabis. Any input greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Indica Kid

2. I was using it for my current grow (just about finished now) . I used 1/2 dose because I'm growing auto's , and it seemed to work well , no signs of nute burn .

My only problem with it is that it smells terrible . The bottle that I bought said 'deodorized' ... well if that was deodorized then I wouldn't want to smell the regular :( .

3. I wonder if the shitty smell affects the taste of the smoke

4. I doubt it , just don't foliar feed . I've heard of a lot of organic growers who prefer fish emulsion . They never say that it effects the quality of the smoke . I can speak for my grow right now (about a week from harvest) , they smell great . No fish emulsion smell what-so-ever . It will be a few weeks before I can say for sure that the taste wasn't effected though .​

5. I'll be using it in my veg teas, it doesn't burn and my deoderized bottle doesn't smell at all. I know OldPork used it in his grow last year and that seemed to blossom very well.

6. Use fish enzyme instead according to Lumperdawgs (see his posts). I use nettles tea and Russian Comfrey for veg. No fish emulsion over where I'm at. I could make it in a tea though. Fishy!

7. Damn why does mine stink so bad then ? Maybe they mislabeled it or something because it smells like shit , it's gagging when the bottle is opened .

8. Hi, Im a couple weeks into flowering with an indoor SSH plant. Started using Fish emulsion, and it smells terrible! im giving it to my girl in a tea every other watering with some other nutes. Ive heard the smell can be caused by anaerobic bacteria growing in the tea (not enough oxygen) i dont have airstones and just shake them to provide oxygen. Does anybody have more information on this?

9. #9 MI Wolverine, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
    Ok folks, we want to use fish hydrolysate, over fish emulsion if we have a choice. The difference is fish emulsion is what is left over after the oils have been (hot) processed out of the fish carcass. The fermentation is then stopped to stabilize the product. Fish hydrolysate has all the oils intact and is fermented by enzyme action(cold processed). Basically the oils in the fish hydrol contain more goodness from the protein in the oils. Aminos and whatever else the oil has. They both can stink, it's fish.

It does get tricky because near me they sell fish emulsion, (bonide brand) but if you read the label it's fish hydrol. Why, I really don't know.

Fish hydrolysate has been called the perfect fungal food, and it can be used to grow those giant pumpkins you see at state fairs sometimes. I would not pay much heed to the NPK numbers, because it is a jack of all trades, good in veg, flower and in between.
    I use some every grow and it goes in maybe a third of my teas. But I am always looking to diversify my offering to the microbe gods, so as good as it is, it is only one of several things in the old toolbox, along with kelp meal, alfalfa meal, and so on......MIW

10. Dang this is an old thread. Here's a brief article that lists the differences and why fish hydrolysate is the better choice if you can source it.

Hydrolysate Process

[​IMG]
    Versus the emulsion process

[​IMG]

chunk

11. wow thank you! really good info
    Unfortunately right now im using the EB stone organics Fish Emulsion with Kelp and havent a clue which category it is in. It says its derived from Whole Fish, Fish scraps, and Kelp; and looks a dark red brown.
    thanks again guys

• Like Like x 1

12. Its fish.

jerry.

13. If it contains Phosphoric Acid then it's hydrolysate.

Look for Organic Gem Fish Hydrolysate. Manufactured in a licensed pharmaceutical plant where various compounds are removed for the HABA industry.

There is also a powdered fish hydrolysate available from a company in California which does not contain Phosphoric Acid. Locally it's about $11.00 per lb. which will make up 32 gallons at the suggest mixing rate on the label.

LD

14. Are you speaking of the stuff from California Spray Dry? I have a couple pounds of if but have never used any. Partly because I had information other than the company name and what it was, partly because I still have about 1/2 gallon econutrients of fish hydro to use up.

15. DC

That's the product. And yesterday I was at a horticulture trade show and Down-To-Earth had a booth/exhibit and they had almost all of their product lines on display and they are carrying this same product under their label of course.

Use 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of water, i.e. the suggested mixing ratio. A pound should give you about 32 gallons of ready-to-use fish hydrolysate. I would advise against pre-mixing it for storage, just mix what you need for an immediate application.

HTH

LD

16. #16 jakrustle, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2011
    I looked up Organic Gem. Here's the website for those who want to take a look.

Advanced Marine Technologies

I emailed then to get a price on the quart and gallon sizes. Reads like a well made product for all I know. As in, LD says it looks good. The production method explained on their site states that a superior product results in a more viable proteins, nutrients and minerals for our plants.

Have to give it a try when I run out of all the Neptunes Harvest I have.Thanks for the heads up on this product
    JaK

17. Is it actually "better"? than Neptunes Harvest?

Is there better fish hydolysates than others?

Just wondering.

jerry.

18. I have dealt directly with Neptune's Harvest for some time now and not only do they have a quality product at a fair price, but their customer service is superb!
    I recently experienced a minor snafu in one of the shipments from them and I called on the phone. Not only di I speak directly to a human being but they fixed the problem and went above and beyond in my opinion.
    Quality product and excellent customer service......they have my business for life!

Sam