First week flower and shit hits the fan

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by mendeleyev, Jan 14, 2016.

1. My plant was healthy as can be since seedling and now I fear she may die! Send help! ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1452743818.489536.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1452743829.657545.jpg

Coco medium. pH hovers around 6. Any other questions just ask, but please tell me what you think.

2. I almost think nitrogen toxicity. Any thoughts?

3. #3 Trichuk, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2016
    Hello, I also grow coco.

What have you done before she started to go droopy?

Did you flush and or change nutes?
    The plants will droop with light schedule change.
    The plant will droop after a flush.

4. The high ribbing on leaves suggest your locked out of something. I would start with base water. What is the ppm or ec of your base water before you add anything to it?

Keep it simple s

5. It could be lots of things. More pics...whole plant in good light. More info: Give as much info as you can regarding how you grow.....feed schedule, nutes, watering schedule. You need to get your pH up into the right range...6.3 to 6.7 since "around 6" just don't cut it. Maintaining the pH of any liquids going into you plant is a must. Continued watering/feeding out of range will lock up the plant's roots. Get a RELIABLE pH meter and keep the pH in that range. Suspect root lockup/out and your plants are deficient. How do you determine when it's time to water? When did you last water? Just give us as much info as possible so we can have more to go off of. It's been my experience that if you correctly manage pH of all liquids going INTO your plants, grow in a proper formulated grow medium and understand how to water, your plants will be healthy for the most part. Little stuff pops up now and again, but overall they'll do just fine. TWW

6. #6 Trichuk, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2016
    Widow, he's growing in coco, the ph should be around 5.7 to 6.1attachment=1951080:ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1452786041.565625.jpg]

Attached Files:

7. What are you using to check your ph? Are you using ph strips?

8. Hey guys, sorry on the radio silence and thanks for the interest. I sort of got high to calm down and then I forgot I posted.

So, I have a pH meter that I have professionally calibrated with science grade buffers. I am an actual scientist so I know how pH and such works. In my last grow, I just kept her around 6 and she grew just fine start to finish. I've been told that keeping between 5.5 and 6.5 is the way to go for coco so I just decided to keep it around 6. Just keep in mind, just because I am a scientist doesn't mean I have a green thumb. I just know how to analyze your damn piss samples.

The droopiness only happens at night if that matters, or maybe it happens when I water. I am not certain. I keep the lights on during the day and keep a space heater on at night to keep the room around 75 degrees F.

I've got the general hydroponics trio of nutes and I am just going by the bottle recommendations of 2 tbsp of each when you transition to flowering.

I've been watering once every other day because I had a feeling my plant didn't need it everyday, but I suspect that may be incorrect. My last grow (which was my first) I fed it daily. As of today I am feeding daily now with 2 tbsp of each, plus cal/mag. I am using tap water, so maybe I don't even need cal/mag.

my lights go on at ~6 am and off at 6 pm. I water when I get home around 5 pm. I've always been curious, should I water when the lights go on or does it even matter? My last grow it would usually be when the lights came on I watered, but I had the lights on at night for that grow.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Etekcity-0.05-pH-High-Ac... This is my pH meter

Before I would let it get a bit dry before I would water it, shame on me for sure, but maybe I just got some salt buildup causing all these problems. Perhaps running a whole bunch of pHed water through it would help.

I hope that all helps. I'll post a few pics in a moment, but I don't know if I can get much better quality. Terrible lighting in that room. (not terrible grow lights, though)

9. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1452822625.512218.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1452822637.460414.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1452822648.477476.jpg

The most affected leaves are the leaves at the top. All lower leaves appear mostly fine, just droopy. She appears to be growing just fine, problems aside, but I still want her to be healthy as possible

10. Looks like nute burn, i wouldnt feed daily. Feed water water feed etc
    Drop night temps to 65-68° also

11. What's ur humidity? I've been fighting with low humidity due to my up north climate. What I've seen, low humidity causes deficiency looking symtoms and wilting on lower leaves. Just a thought.

12. underwatered.

13. I am happy to report the girl is making a glowing comeback. Exact problem is unknown to me, but I just won't change what I'm doing too much.

14. Allowing these plants to dry out between watering is correct. You need defined wet/dry cycle for them to do thesir best. Having them sitting in moisture all the time is not good. Allow them to dry out at least 80% before you water. Watering on a schedule isn't good because the plant doesn't take in water on a schedule. As you learn more about this, you'll see that the plant tells you everything that's going on. You just have to become familiar enough with it to be understand what it's telling you. If you're watering "every other day" instead of allowing the plant to dry out to the proper level and then watering, you're doing it wrong and that may be a big part of your problem. I'm a soil grower and have never used Coco before myself, so can't help you out there. If it doesn't perk up and start to do better, consider flushing it with tap water 3:1 with the last gallon going in pH adjusted, or just repotting it into some new Coco and giving it a new start. Good luck! TWW