'First vape death in the US' recorded in Illinois

Discussion in 'General' started by Vee, Aug 24, 2019.

1. [​IMG]
    A patient has died after developing a severe respiratory disease due to vaping in the first
    such death in the US, say health officials.

The US state of Illinois' health agency said the unnamed patient was between 17 and 38 years old.

It comes amid an outbreak of lung disease across the US that officials have linked to use of e-cigarettes.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said nearly 200 people have fallen ill from vaping nationwide.

CDC director Robert Redfield said: "We are saddened to hear of the first death related to the outbreak of severe lung disease in those who use e-cigarette or 'vaping' devices."

He added: "This tragic death in Illinois reinforces the serious risks associated with e-cigarette products.

"Vaping exposes users to many different substances for which we have little information about related harms - including flavourings, nicotine, cannabinoids and solvents."

He said vaping devices were not safe for children, young adults, pregnant women or even adults who do not normally use tobacco products.

Also on Friday, the CDC said it was aware of 193 potential cases of severe lung disease in 22 states that could be caused by vaping.

Twenty-two of the cases were in Illinois.

This is a sharp rise in only two days; on Wednesday, the agency was recording 153 such cases in 16 states.

Those affected had symptoms including coughing, shortness of breath and fatigue as well as some cases of vomiting and diarrhoea.

The CDC said it is unclear if the illnesses are related, but that they do not appear to stem from any infectious disease.

"In many cases, patients have acknowledged recent use of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)-containing product," the CDC said, referring to the active compound present in cannabis.

The president of the American Vaping Association, Gregory Conley, said in a statement on Thursday that he was "confident" the illnesses were being caused by devices containing cannabis or other synthetic drugs, not nicotine.

At least two people have previously died in the US after their e-cigarette exploded in their face.

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. #2 Vee, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    [​IMG]
    the weed itself is safe ...nice to know!

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. #3 Dizzy, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Damn...well ill never feel safe when I vape again thnx :rolleyes:o_O:huh::sad: I wish I could un see this. R.I.P to the person who died from it tho :(

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Still not enough data but it looks bleak. I dont vape nicotine or any cannabis oil products that contain propylene glycol, glycerin, nicotine, flavors.

I would think this does "not" apply to vapeing home grown organic cannabis "flower".:confused_2:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. And propylene glycol has been proven to be safe they gonna use this as the big push to take mods and pens off the market watch

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

6. A few month's ago there was a Paper published by some Aussie Scientists on 10 different brands of Nicotine Juice commonly imported into the country.

If i remember correctly 8 out of the 10 contained contaminate's, including "human faeces" and this is not just the Backyard made stuff.

If i find the write up, I'll post it. But for now im going to Vape some Skunky Flower;)...

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Propylene glycol is safe when it's eaten. Spray painting your lungs with it is totally different and it hasn't been shown to be safe when used in that manner.

• Like Like x 1
  8. [​IMG]
    This image of diatomaceous earth particles in
    water is at a scale of 6.236 pixels/μm, the
    entire image covers a region of approximately 1.13 by 0.69 mm.

Same with diatomaceous earth, fine to eat but don't breathe it in
    or add it to your plants as it often makes ya lungs bleed

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. I'm from Illinois, none of the reports I've seen has said it was definetly caused by vaping. They say things like it could be linked, or that's it could be one of the probable causes.

10. I would like more data on this, sounds like big tobacco spent some money...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Yeah, they haven't definitely linked it to anything but it's not normal for so many young people to come down with a severe lung disease of unknown origin and apparently what they have in common is vape chemicals. I'm usually a doubter when strange illnesses are attributed to something without proof but this is looking like it should be taken seriously.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Fck it,,name somethin now days that aint bad for u lol,,they dont pull beer or cigs from the shelf when people smoke or a liver goes bad,,but they wanna make this a big deal if u use it n know "what could" happen then that should be that period!!

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

13. Oh man a whopping 200 people "ill" from "vaping" in a country with over 300 million people! Not even specifying what they're vaping or how often. Perhaps nicotine e juice or fake carts filled with who knows what. Let's use that as propaganda to vaguely imply people vaping safe cannabis products is bad. Integrity means nothing, clicks and ad revenue are king. I quit vaping nicotine and am happy I did, just vape the beautiful ganja now but this article is going to be deceptive to people who are ignorant to the subject matter and I don't believe that's an accident.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. #15 killset, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Before blaming a death on something I need more proof then "it could of been"......it could of been a lot of things that caused the infection. This wouldn't be the first time the government and mainstream media has shed bad light on cannabis. I'm in no way saying vaping wasn't the cause I just need proof and not assumptions. Assumptions is what caused the cannabis hysteria/reefer madness of the past.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I'd like to know how many of these illnesses are people vaping nicotine vs cannabis. It's my impression they are not all cannabis related. We may find they aren't cannabis related at all, which is what I'm thinking. We know smoking cannabis and nicotine don't cause lung damage like these guys are having which means if these mysterious illnesses are related to anything it's probably the vape juice. I hope that's it, it would be an easy fix but I'm afraid vaping is going to get the black eye regardless the cause.

16. But then again who ever heard of CS back in 'our' day

I don't think its the number to peeps who toke that raise these new issues ...more of the reason why they toke?