First try in Mini-Fridge Micro (SCROG)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by spliffunk, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Hey there, just started up my first attempt at a micro SCROG grow in a mini-fridge (4th grow over all) and first attempt with hydro (bubble bucket method.)  Would like some suggestions as I go so please let me know if you see anything I am doing wrong here.  Here is a basic list of what I got going so far...

4.3 CF Mini-Fridge (with lock) gutted of course
    90 watt Quad spectrum UFO Style LED light
    3 gallon tote (x2)
    Aquarium air pump
    Fine air stone (x2)
    Wireless Temp/Hydrometer 

Fans:
    1 x 120mm intake
    2 x 90mm exhaust
    1 x 120mm exhaust

and lots of mylar insulation and reflective tape

Still need to set up the scrog screen, but got some time before that is needed since I started with a bag seed instead of a clone.  Nutes I will be using are from Cutting Edge Solutions, guy at the local shop hooked me up with a free sampler set of 7 different bottles, thanks!

So here are some pics...

Front
    1.JPG
    Back (top 120mm exhaust fan blows out slot on top)
    2.JPG
    Power panel in gutted compressor area (fans & bubbler on 24/7) and filter screen on intake fan
    3.JPG
    4.JPG
    Used 2 totes so I can lift out the inner tote and all the water drains to the bottom tote through holes in bottom of inner tote, should make water changes easier I hope.  Sealed in a cap off an OJ jug for easy access to add nutes and check pH.
    5.JPG
    Air ducts with 90mm fans out back, 120mm fan on top above light
    6.JPG
    7.JPG
    120mm Intake fan (I will be cutting out the back of fridge more for more air flow)
    8.JPG
    9.JPG

Thoughts???

2. I'm impressed, curious how the LED works out. It's something I am curious about. Finally, noise - about the same as a fridge or a bit more?

3. I would say that it is a bit louder than a fridge that doesn't have its compressor running, but quieter than one while the compressor is running.  Adding the top 120mm exhaust fan definitely added some noise, but my temps have been getting too high.  Before i added the fan they were getting up to 92, with the added fan it tops out at 86 (still too hot but better.)

4. Looks good man! Im happy to see someone else doing a mini fridge grow I have one going im at day 27 of flower you can check through my thread. Cant wait to see how an led works in there Happy growing.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Nice setup bro!...that shit looks professionally built

6. @[member="PotheadRoy1"] Thanks, I'll check it out, and I'll be updating this along the way.  

7. @[member="Luxap89"] yeah, 7 years of professional car stereo installing makes you a little picky about the appearances of your projects  :smoke:
    thanks!

8. little girl (hopefully) isn't doing so well.  I think I had the water level up to high and the pH was too high as well (didn't have batteries for me meter when I started her.)  Looking into finding a couple clones
    (might have found some agent orange to try out) to speed this up a bit.  But adding the fan and opening the intake really helped the temps, 74-81 range (was up to 86 before)  

9. Picked up two agent orange clones the other day, but they are in soil so I am not sure if they will transfer to hydro well. I'm going to try and transplant one tonight and leave the second in soil incase the first one doesnt make it. Guy I got the clones from cut them about 2 weeks into flower, so they are showing some small flowers. Will they go back to veg after a couple days of 24hr light?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. I transplanted one of my 2 Agent Orange (AO) ladies into my DWC setup.  I was a clone rooted in soil in a solo cup, and it was very well rooted (starting to wrap) so it was difficult to clean off all the soil.  I was able to clean most of the soil off by letting it dry a bit, gently shaking off the excess, then repeatedly dunking her in a weak nute solution.  She looks a little stressed, but I think she will pull through just fine, I can already see the roots sneaking out of the net pot.  

As you can see I finally got around building my ScrOG screen.  The legs of the frame are screwed into the lid of the tote so I can lift it all as one piece without stressing the main stem.

Right now I just have pHed water in the res.   Should I wait till the stress from transplant is gone and the roots are obviously growing out of the pot before I add any nutes?  Or should I do it now?

IMG_2497.JPG IMG_2498.JPG

11. So my girl wasn't doing so well after being set up in the bubble bucket.  So I pulled her out of the clay pellets to check her roots (they never came out of the net pot after about a week in there.)  She had some new nice white roots coming out of the rockwool, but the old roots from the soil looked dead/rotten.  So after a lot of careful trimming I was able to remove all of the old roots and just left the short, fresh white roots.  After a few days back in the pellets with a 1/2 strength nute solution (about a half inch below the bottom of net pot) the roots really began to flourish and she started to stretch a bit.  I also upgraded my air pump from a single out put split to two stones to one with 4 outputs going to 4 stones.  And I covered my tote, lid and air lines in reflective tape to keep the light out of my water.

The roots are really looking good, but she doesn't seem to be growing correctly.  This is my first time dealing with a clone (was told she was cut 2 weeks into flower.)  All the new growth and the top of the plant is growing deformed leaves with only 1 or 3 tips instead of 5. Also she is still putting out a lot of white hairs still like she still is trying to flower.  And then today I noticed her lower branches are starting to produce tricombs.  I am really not ready to start flowering yet, she is just about to reach the scrog screen, so haven't even began training her yet.

was she cut too far into flower?  Something off with my setup?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

temps range between 70-80
    humidity around 40-50%
    ph is around 5.5
    ppm around 1000
    ec about 2.1

IMG_2502.JPG IMG_2508.JPG IMG_2506.JPG

12. So it looks like the single leaves were just a sign of it finally re-veggin. She is stretching a lot now and the roots are going nuts. I'll start training her on the screen tomorrow! I'll post up some more pics when I do.

13. Oh wow, are you doing that thing where you reveg a flowering plant and it just shoots a shitload of 3-bladed leaves and a myriad of branches? I was wondering if this is a replicateable thing.... If it works it should be perfect for scrogs.

14. Wasn't really trying to, but the clone was pretty far into flower when she was cut. Then got pretty well rooted in soil, so when I moved her into my hydro set up I had to trim a bunch of roots. First set of leaves after the roots took off into the nute solution came out as singles, second set looks to have 3. Looking like it should fill the screen nicely!

15. #16 ak84, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2013

Yeah, supposedly now -- and I only read this and haven't personally tried it -- that clone should start producing waaay too many branches and sideshoots. We'll see I guess! Subbed. edit doh, already was subbed anyway.

16. day 25 (from transplant)
    day 9 (since she re-vegged)

little lady has really been growing and bushing out a lot lately.  Here are some updated pics, just did my first bit of training with the scrog screen today!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

17. Very nice scrog. Gives me some good ideas :)

18. Looking real clean and professional. I'm subbing in for this one! I have a mini fridge SCROG grow too so it's nice to see someone else's setup.

19. day 29

what a difference 4 days can make!  She is really starting to fill the screen well.  I have been training her under the screen everyday and have started to thin out some of the lower branches that will never make it up to the canopy to get some better air flow and keep the humidity in check.  At the rate she is going I will be switching her over to flower real soon!  Probably do one more water change with her veg nute mixture before I switch her over, want to get the screen good a full.

temp has been holding real close to my room temp, right around 70.  Humidity about 50%

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg