First tiny grow (just setup) // GL best?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by QualiD, Nov 16, 2012.

1. So I have 4 auto seeds, soil, and nutrients.

What I plan on buying:

Tent: GrowLab GL40 - 1'4" x 1'4" x 3'11"

Lights: CFL (don't want to use hoods or HPS/MH)

As far as wattage goes, I have the main "grow bibles" everyone pirates from the net, as well as the videos, so staying on spectrum shouldn't be an issue.

Soil: Light mix, probably foxfarm and some perlite/vermiculite with a bit of peat moss :)

bucket: thinkin' 3-4gal at most.

Seeds:

Sweet Seeds - Speed + (x2)
    Sweet Seeds - Fast Bud 2 (x2)

My main question: I found that tent online for under 70 bucks and I only plan on growing autos (or maybe topped/small clones in future), is that the best tent I can use for the setup I want? It's just under 4 feet tall and most autos are 3 or less so I thought I found a steal..

But I could be wrong?

If GrowLab isn't your flavor, what suggested company do you have? The next size up would be the GL60 which is 2' x 2' x 5'3" which would still fit where I want it to, but would take up more space.

Any and all advice is welcome.

I am pretty heart-set on CFL growing since I've been watching the people on GC do grow journals with them. I think it's quite amazing that 4 years ago I thought HPS and MH were the only ways to grow (aside natural sun). But any brand-name/color suggestions for CFL is welcomed too. :D

2. That's way too much for your first grow. I bought some lamp fixtures at a thrift store for $10, going to invest in some CFLs for an additional $20, the seeds I'm using are going to be bagseed (more or less free), I'm going to buy a bag a soil which can range from $1 to $5, and maybe fertilizer which will run you another $5, I'm going to paint the walls white with some paint the old tenants left behind, I already have a thermometer/hydrometer that the old tenants left behind. I think I have a 5 Gallon pot laying around somewhere.

This whole grow set up, all under $100 and I'm sure the buds will come out just fine.

If it's a tiny grow like mine, why invest so much money into it?

As for your CFLs you'll need about 100W per plant, and you can get them cheap on E-Bay. You'll need a few in the 2700K Range, and a few in the 6500K range. Make sure they are 23W or higher because the 13W ones just wont do.

3. [quote name='"kronity"']

I don't quite need that much room[/quote]

That's what I thought and now I want a bigger tent than that. If it will fit into a space in your house, I highly recommend getting a larger tent. I used the same size with one 2ft plant and CFLs, and found that it was just enough space.

4. Well in order to stay within my ordinance of prop 215 I have to keep this shit small...damn apartment complex wayy to close to a school :/ and i don't use bagseed i already have autos and soil and everything they only thing i'd be buying would be the cfls and tent. i was just wondering if GLab was the best for tents.

5. I have this tent, it works pretty good. Not hard to control the temps with a 150w hps and it doesn't look as small as you think it would. I'm in an apartment too I wish I can go bigger than the gl40.

6. #8 Thicken Dense, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2012
    For autos, you can use whatever you're comfortable with. Light leaks don't bother autos, run em 24/0 if you want... so a crappy tent shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: some autos grow to over 4" tall, don't limit yourself. go bigger.

7. not the ones i have. and the ones that DO get that tall are under 1000w hps or mh lol not cfls bro. unless you have a sativa dominant auto there's like a 10% of going over 3.5ft

8. #10 BYOweed, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2012
    [quote name='"kronity"']

not the ones i have. and the ones that DO get that tall are under 1000w hps or mh lol not cfls bro. unless you have a sativa dominant auto there's like a 10% of going over 3.5ft[/quote]

Not Sure knows what he's sayin. Don't forget you'll need space for lights, osc fan, inline fan, carbon filter, ducting, and containers as well. A 2' x 3' x 5' tent really isn't that large. It fits into a regular sized closet. And prop 215 limits the amount of plants your growing, not the size of your grow tent.

I have never heard of GL.

Best tents are AgroMax and Secret Jardin in my experience. Quality metal parts.

9. I'm within 1000 feet of a School and my county ordinances as such until i move or find a place else to grow.

i will check out AM and SJ as you suggested.

btw I see someone micro grow in a pc tower, i think i can pull off something in a smallish tent. im trying to be discreet. otherwise the sheriff will be mad :(

10. I have an agromax and it works perfectly. All good parts. You can find people saying the same thing about every brand.

11. I hear ya man, I was just saying that the quality of your tent won't contribute to your particular grow, whereas lighting, soil, ventilation, and nutrients should be of top quality before moving on to aesthetics. Just my opinion.

Yea, you can do well with a small enclosure if you're dialed in on your grow. What's your legal limit? I just pulled 6oz out of a 2x2x4, single plant scrog, I love microgrows because they challenge us to do our best with our plants.

Anyway, good luck with your grow. Hope to see your journal soon :smoke:

12. I grew Easy Ryder auto's in a 2x2x5'3" tent and it worked fine until the last plant in there which took off and spread out and got to 36" tall (pot and all). It got pretty dried out because I couldn't raise my hps up any more and it cooked the plant a bit. But it was salvagable. Overall, it's a good size for a small scale autoflower grow op.