First timer, sprout bend?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Jwhat201, Apr 3, 2015.

1. #1 Jwhat201, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2015
    Please help!  

First time grow, black indica from Crop King.  I germinated one seed, using the method on their website.  Germ went fine, 2-3 days.  I planted with promix herb and vegetable,  in the bottom of a pop bottle, holes in bottom for drainage.  dropped some water around the seed, and placed in same cupboard i used for germ.  Checked regularly, added a few drops of water on the outside when soil felt dry.  used calimagic once, then in fear of overfeeding I stopped.  After 2-3 days in the dark, I checked today and i see a sprout.

The sprout has an almost 90 degree bend at about half.  is this serious?  What should I do?  should i add light now, or?

Please help hope this isnt bad. Thanks in advance!

2. Congrats on your new baby! I would give her light now....don't be concerned about the bend..she's probably just looking for a light source! Florescent would be great for her right now! She needs light now that she's sprouted! Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Thanks for quick reply, got her under light now, am I watering right? keep the same?  
    Also thanks on the congrats :].  Really is like having a baby haha.

4. Try not to overwater...just water her when the pot feels 'light' when you pick it up during lights on. Overwatering will cause the roots to rot quickly, but keeping it light will give her the strength she needs to grow big and tall! Keep an eye on how dry she gets...she should only require water every other day or so until she develops a nice root mass. Keep a gentle fan on her as well...will strengthen her 'trunk'....it occurs naturally outdoors. You're creating a 'mini environment' so a fan helps with that. Just don't go too big with a wind machine! Just a bit of air movement to get her stronger!  You're off and running my friend!!! ;)

5. My seedling died :(.

Please help to make this not happen again.  My budget cant afford this.
    Im thinking my problem was no drainage... I used a pop bottle, poked holes guess they werent in right spots?

Next seed is in germ now, only 3 left, any help is much appreciated! 
    Thanks

6. #7 SativaDreams, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015
    Why spend money on decent genetics? Learn how to grow first. Use a cup, soda bottles allow light to root zone you don't want that. If you read all the pinned threads you shouldn't have any major problems.

7. Grab a pack of solo cups. They are only a couple of dollars and if you put holes in the bottom they make great starter cups. If you cant swing $3 you may want to consider another hobby.

8. I put them in the dark while they are germinating. Once there is a root, I put it in soil and leave it out near a window till it pops (in my experience, very little lol, is 1-2 days)  and then it goes under the lights. Is it normal to put it in soil and then back in the dark? I'm wondering if she died because she didn't get the light soon enough or maybe the "bend" was actually a break.

9. You should also avoid any feeding until a couple weeks after sprouting.  The seed and seedling can live off of the cotyledon, which will be the first two round leave-like structures you'll see growing.  If you feed at any point before then, anything more than a 10% solution will most likely burn and kill the seed/seedling.  Your CaliMagic feed is probably what killed her.
    I would also recommend ditching the idea of germinating in anything but your first grow media.  Cannabis growers are the only farmers in the world who hold such a risky technique in such reverence.  I 've been growing for three years now and have germinated every grow in rockwool cubes and have had 100% germination success. I grow vegetables and germinate those in peat pellets and have the same success.  Whaterver thrill there is in seeing the seed split and throw out a root is completely offset by the risk of drying the root, damaging it during planting, or misorienting it and bunging it up that way.  Just plant your seed in your grow media or a starter which has been moistened, put them in a warm location like the top of your fridge, covered if you can but keep them moist especially, and let them do their thing.  Once you have sprouts, keep watering the media to just keep it moist,  and get them some light.  Your light should only be a few inches from the seedling.   If you use starters, once you have roots sticking out of the bottom, transfer into your actual grow media, and roll on.
    Best of luck with the next round.

10. For first waterings just to keep moist should I get a mist bottle? Or could a dropper work, what do you recommend? 
    Thanks everyone good stuff :].

11. For my first week or so, I used a child's medicine syringe like you get at the pharmacy and it seemed to me that I was doing at least a syringe watering per day at first. They tend to dry up quickly when they are little.

12. Actually, the spray bottle is a great way to manage it and is what i use for peat pellets.  Just spritz the top of the starter/media daily.  That can help prevent the tendency to overwater during this time.  A dropper really isn't necessary, or even the spray bottle if you're in a pinch financially.  You just need to keep the media moist but not damp or water-logged. A shot glass or spoon could give you the control for small doses too.  Remember, there are little to no roots at first and very little plant to drink and make use of the water for a while.  The water you are providing at this point is just to soften the seed's shell, keep the media soft so the seedling can push through it, and to moisten the seedling as it pushes into the air.  If you aren't using a dome or cover to keep the fresh seedling in a humid environment, spritzing the seedlings helps too.  Seedlings, and actually all plants,  "drink" some of the water from theirs leaves, so spritzing seedlings and clones, which also have underdeveloped root systems, keeps them happy until the roots develop.

13. Hey guys, my next seed is almost ready to be planted.   

A few days ago I filled my pot up with soil and let it sit, I read somewhere its good to do.

But im wondering now, opinions?  should i use this soil or get new from the bag?

Its promix veg & herb