First timer, question about space vs yield

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by whiteboy1634, Dec 22, 2010.

1. So I think I'm finally diving into the world of growing, and I couldnt tell you the last time I've been this excited lol.. So I've been a long time lurker and researcher on the forums, so I believe I have a decent understanding of what needs to be done, but just wanna have some personal specific questions answered to give me a better idea before I start investing more money in this project.

The cabinet I've been working on is roughly 22w"x16d"x58h"... I was considering halfing that up by putting a shelf there for two smaller cabinets in hopes to maximize plants/yield... but I'm concerned it wont be enough height for a plant to grow, let along multiple plants per room. I would be planning on using roughly 8 cfl's per room, with an adjustable height set-up, more than likely scrog and top the plant to try and control height, but there have been some contradicting things that I've read that I need the clarification on...

Is LST that effective? and Would using LST and scrog allow me to have 2 or more plants in each room? also would i be able to maybe use a wider planting pot as opposed to a deeper one to allow for some more vertical growth, possibly allowing for the roots to grow horizonally, and maybe even further use LST and scrog to help with bushiness and controlling height?

Also from what I understand, with a good indica strain, topping and fimming, and a shorter veg/longer flowering cycle, I can get a good bushy short plant with some good colas right? Short and bushy enough to possibly get 2-3 plants in each 22x16x29 room and yeild maybe 8-10oz?

Or should I just scrap the shelf, and use all 58" for verticla growth on one or two plants? Once again, I want to maximize my yeild for the cabinet... but if have to make another one to achieve my yeild goal, I will, I just wanna know before I get down to the actual growing.

Thanks for any help! It would be greatly appreciated, and happy tokin!

2. welcome to the world of growing.

with a 58" h i would 2/3 the box instead of cutting up in half. That should leave around 15" +- for veg chamber and 36-45" for flowering.

The thing about tall boxes is that you will need to USE the space compared to not vegging enough to make small plants.

LST makes a huge difference. It can double or triple your yield. It makes your plant grow more like a bush compared to a thin tree. with your box i wouldnt go any more then 3 plants. and that may be pushing it. remember 1 gallon to every foot of plant height. I would think you would get more like 2-4 oz from plants like that. and way less your first or second time. practice makes perfect :hello:

evil :bongin:

3. hmm.. you know I was just thinking of something like that, like possibly vegging in a big rebbermaid bin and just using the cabinet for flowering... but the 2/3rds idea could work nicely...

Thanks for the great idea!