First timer! need help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jkburl, Apr 5, 2011.

1. so my plants are 11 days old from sprout and i transplanted 4 into bigger pots 2 days ago and think the soil had bugs in it... How do i get rid of those pesky guys and will they hurt my plants if they dont go away? Also here are some picture let me know how you think they are going.. this being my first time growing and all i really have no idea.

I germinated 8 bag seeds and started with MG seed starter..

4 of the 8 are still in MG seed starter solo cups

4 are in an organic mix in bigger pots

All have one 26watt 2600k CFL about an inch or so away
    the largest of the 8 plants has 2 hanging from above.

My humidity is low floating around 30-40% as low as 20%.. i cant figure out how to raise it, i have used wet towels bowls of water ext..

temps 65-85 degrees

here are pics i just took 5min ago of the plants 11 days from sprout.

If i hear back from a lot of people i'll keep this updated during the entire grow so yall can come on this journey with me :smoke:
    CIMG2280.JPG

CIMG2283.JPG

CIMG2278.JPG

CIMG2276.JPG

CIMG2282.JPG

CIMG2281.JPG

CIMG2279.JPG

CIMG2277.JPG

CIMG2284.JPG

2. Plants look good. For the ones in little cups, you can add some soil to bury the stems a little deeper (especially the one that needs support). The part that is buried will grow roots. You're gonna need more light and ventilation soon.

I hope the organic soil is not miracle gro. Get some perlite to mix with your soil.

What do the bugs look like? Do they fly?

3. iv scene a few that fly and caught a few on camera.. My grow room is kinda odd i'll snap some pics of that too. its small but im counting on the fact that a few are males.. its not MG trust me i have read to much about how that is a no no. Also i have a big box fan and a tall cardboard box that my gun safe came in that i made a home made vent. system. I got lucky and have a window next to both entrances so the circulation is good i think? i leave the doors open and the windows open during the day (lights are also on) CIMG2292.JPG

CIMG2288.JPG

CIMG2289.JPG

CIMG2287.JPG

CIMG2290.JPG

CIMG2293.JPG

CIMG2286.JPG

CIMG2291.JPG

4. also i know i am going to need more light, i am saving for a 400w hps

5. eeew, those bugs are ugly! the first one looks like a beetle of some sort, the second one looks like a tick or a bed bug. but i'm no entomologist. they don't look like the common pests of plants that i've seen. they came in your soil? where did you get this soil? I'd be worried that it might have some plant pests, too.

85 is hot. if you could set a fan to blow on the lights it would help. looking good, other than the bugs! good luck.

6. Also, to use your lights more efficiently, try to group the plants together so they can share the light. Put the thermometer sensor on one of the pots. When they get bigger put the sensor near the tallest leaf.

7. well it was bagged up but got soaked in a rain storm.. i opened the bag and let it sit facing the sun for a few days and dumped it into a big bucket (that had dirt and a tomato plant growing at one time) where i broke up the clumps.. i didnt wash it out come to think of it which is probably where i got the bugs.. how can i kill the bastards i dont want them to multiply!

8. If there are just a few of them, kill the ones you find. If there are more, I don't know. I'm not sure what they are. If they don't have a food source they'll die eventually.

9. i killed what i saw.. i just feel like every time i open the door is a different kind tryin to set up shop with my babies. not going to happen

10. Different species is a good sign. Means that one species is not colonizing (at least not yet, anyway). I think they're just accidental hitch hikers. Certain insects are beneficial -- for example lady bugs eat fungus gnats (or something, can't remember exactly what they eat!)

11. You should switch out the 2700k cfls with some 6500k cfls.

12. funds are kinds tight.. how big of a difference will it make? can i get by with my 2700s or is it worth it to spend the money.. they are 2 weeks old

13. just found some spider mites eating the bottom 2 leaves of one plant.. should i remove it? i kill all the ones i could fine.. there are 2 big brown spots.. what do i do about that?

14. Oh, that's awful. I don't know much about pest treatments, but there are many folks on here who do, and people have gotten rid of them. Do a search for spider mites, or you could start a new thread in the sick plant forum. As to whether to quarantine, it might be a good idea, but the other ones might still get it. You'll have to ditch whatever is left of that bag of soil.

15. yeah im done with the soil i used.. im going to go buy more and probably transplant again.. there was no perlite in those pots and i think they are only 2 gal. im going to get 3 gal and use better soil mixed with 25% perlite.. i read mix some bleach with water 1tbs per gal and spray it on the plants to kill the bastards. we will see, i hope they dont die but if they do i think im going to just spend the money on a tent and mh/hps bulbs order some seeds and do it right.. this was fun but i can just tell half assing it just wont cut it

16. If you use the bleach solution I would put something over the soil like newspaper to catch the drips so it doesn't get into the soil. I would also rinse the bleach solution off by spraying pure water after the treatments. (I guess you have to leave the bleach on for some amount of time but I don't know how long.)

There are some organic treatments like neem oil, but I don't know much about it. You've caught it early so maybe you can get rid of them. If not, be sure to sterilize anything that you re-use in your next grow. Sorry this happened to you. Good luck

17. Wow dude... good luck with those bugs man

18. hahah thanks but yeah they ran a train on my plants and they are fucked. oh well iv learned i need to have a more controlled environment.. always next grow