First Timer Lots Of Questions.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by lou dogs lifted, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Need help and some advice. The bag that ffof comes in usable as grow container?

2. Yes, but it doesn't have that cool camo design that roots organic comes with. I would rather spend the extra $6 or so on a 10 gal fabric pot anyway.

What I'm using: 1 bag of Happy Frog $20, 5 gal bag of perlite $5, and that will make 20 gal of soil compared to the 10 you get in a bag of ocean forest. Add (2) 10 gal fabric pots for the win. (this soil is cheaper on the west coast)

I would never sacrifice quality to save a buck, but the most expensive isn't always the best. Happy Frog is better than Ocean Forest by a mile, as long as you mix perlite into it. It's my go-to soil when I get lazy and forget to mix up my own.

3. Already have the soil. From my understanding of is gfs just more potent. And as a alternative to perlite?
    Some rocks maybe?

4. #4 Thicken Dense, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014

The reason we add perlite or rice hulls to our soil is to provide the proper ratio of oxygen to water. With the right amount in your soil it is impossible to "overwater" your plants. IDK what kind of rocks or pebbles you're using, but the goal is proper air to water retention.

[​IMG]

Here's another chart, it's a promotional for Growstone so don't take it as gospel, but it does illustrate the point.

[​IMG]

You'd be better off mixing bark chips into your soil than some random pebbles and rocks. Which belies the point that OF has enough perlite in it anyway, doesn't need anything else.