First Timer - Locker grow CFL,Soil,Unknown Seeds

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by ShimShimHae, Aug 28, 2012.

1. #1 ShimShimHae, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
    Questions at the bottom

Hey guys,

i recently had some seeds in my weed and planted 4 of them directly into soil, after a few days the first one stuck its head out and then the other one followed.

The remaining two didnt show, so i let them sit and after a few days i noticed one of them sprouting but not underground, so i put it into the soil.

The last seed was still not sprouting so i just opened it up and planted it into the soil.

The first two were at my window for the first days until i bought a set of secret jardin (2x 35w CFLs 9500k) CFLs at a grow store and set it up inside a locker in my room.

I dont have a fan yet and buying different lighting systems is out of the question too since this is just an experiment for fun i dont want to spend to much on it, plus the set i bought fits perfectly into my locker :hello:
    My setup.
    [​IMG]

The ones that are younger grew up inside of the locker and look way stronger than the ones that grew at the window for a few days.

The two youngest.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see the stems are thicker and i wonder if its good or bad that they are kinda purple??

The 2 bigger plants, especially the bigger one of them is giving me a little headache, it was lying on the ground when i got back from work yesterday and i think it was the reaction to too much water.

[​IMG]
    This one is the oldest.

I removed it from the pot and added new soil and planted it deeper so it has more stability, i did so too with the other one to its left.

Questions:

1. Is it right that if the leaves curl up a bit like you can see in the images, the plant is trying to transpirate more water or because of too much heat from the lights?

2. How can i get the stems of the taller ones stronger, so they wont fall over?

3. When should i start fertilizing?

4. When should i switch to 6400k lights?

Please add your suggestions on improving my little experiment even if it means additional costs so i can consider buying small addons that arent too expensive.

Thanks

2. Your seedlings look fine, I wouldn't worry about the curling, you may want to bring them closer to the light though. Start fertilizing in a couple weeks or so, as, that will be when your plants eat up most of the nutes in the soil... To make your stems stronger simply add "wind", use a fan.

Good luck with your grow man!

3. #3 ShimShimHae, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
    Thanks for the input man!
    I think i will buy a small fan that i can put inside the locker.

And some chains so i can adjust the height of the lights better.
    Right now its just tied with strong constructionwork strings.

Another question i have is, is it possible to finish flowering before december ends? I assumed i can just start the flower early since i dont have as much space anyways?

4. you sure your cfls are 9500k? typical grow is 6500k in veg and switch to 2700k for flowering. Also you probably don't have enough wattage for the amount of plants.

the stretching is from the lights being two high cfls are best 3-6 inches from the plant.

5. It was a spontaneous buy amd i didnt inform myself enough beforehand, the guy in the growshop suggested these for the small ones and said u should switch later to 6500 or so...

About the wattage, can i put higher wattage into the system or will it not work?
    I bought a fan now btw hehe

Oh and i put something under the pots, the biggest plant is now maybe 3-4 inches away from the light source.

Thanks for your reply

6. [quote name='"ShimShimHae"']It was a spontaneous buy amd i didnt inform myself enough beforehand, the guy in the growshop suggested these for the small ones and said u should switch later to 6500 or so...

About the wattage, can i put higher wattage into the system or will it not work?
    I bought a fan now btw hehe

Oh and i put something under the pots, the biggest plant is now maybe 3-4 inches away from the light source.

Thanks for your reply[/quote]

What I mean by wattage are the lights aren't strong enough. With cfls the rule of thumb is 100w per plant 2 cfls won't be enough for 4 plants

7. Also the the curling could be over watering with seedlings you want the soil to be dry before next watering so the roots have to search for moisture. You'll establish a better root system

8. I see, yea i read about that too but then another person said 100w per plant is not needed, im a bit confused now haha
    Yes i think i watered them too much, i will wait for the earth to dry now before i water them again.

Thank you for the heads up :)

9. [quote name='"ShimShimHae"']I see, yea i read about that too but then another person said 100w per plant is not needed, im a bit confused now haha
    Yes i think i watered them too much, i will wait for the earth to dry now before i water them again.

Thank you for the heads up :)[/quote]

Haha no problem good luck on your grow! I'll keep looking into it down the road

10. Too many plants for the space in my opinion I would just keep 1 maybe 2 pushing it.