First timer, is this mix good?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Sweet Leaf`, Jan 22, 2015.

1. #1 Sweet Leaf`, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
    i've gathered most of the materials to start my mix, i think im pretty much ready. im curious to get some feedback before i start because its my first time growing organic

measurements are using a 5 gallon bucket, so 1 part=1 full 5 gallon bucket, 1/2 part=1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket, or 2.5 gallons

to make a cubic foot
    1/2 fox farm ocean forest organic soil (has a blend of premium earthworm castings, bat guano, sea-going fish and crab meal, composted forest humus, sandy loam, and sphagnum peat moss)
    1/2 coast of maine lobster compost soil
    1/2 perlite
    1 cup of lime
    1 cup kelp meal
    1.5 cup epsoma tomato meal

i also have rock dust so i should probably put that in also.

2. i'm confused on your measurements... I think I understand...
    2.5 gal of ocean forest
    2.5 gal of perlite
    2.5 gal of compost?
    I'd go less lime, or none
    add oyster flour
    leave out the tomato tone and replace with neem meal and more crab meal.

3. #3 Sweet Leaf`, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015

thanks a lot for the feedback. im kinda just going off some basic mixes i read about on here. youre correct about the measurements. i'm going to leave the lime out and get the stuff you suggested. it seemed like youre confused about the compost, heres a link to it http://www.amazon.com/COAST-MAINE-Q1-Lobster-Conditioner/dp/B00D8XL4SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421969618&sr=8-1&keywords=maine+lobster+compost. if anyone else has anything to add, i would appreciate it.
    thanks

4. sure, and i'd add rock phosphates as well, like you mentioned.
    maybe 2-4 cups of minerals depending on how much oyster flour you add (I count oyster flour as a mineral)
    if it were me i'd go with either a full cup or a half cup of each
    one half or one cup basalt
    one half or one cup soft rock phosphates
    one half or one cup oyster flour
    one half or one cup granite dust/ greensand/ gypsum
    don't leave out the neem though.

5. i just ordered
    \nOyster Shell Flour
    Gypsum Flour From Colorado
    Crustacean Meal
    Neem Cake
    Rock Dust Local Premium Basalt
    \nis that good now?

It's good, but way more $$$$ than you needed to spend.

Oyster Shell Flour=nearly pure CaCO3. Calcitic lime=nearly pure CaCO3. OSF is stupid expensive to ship. Calcitic lime can be picked up at Lowes or HD @~1/3 the cost. Here it is $15/40lb bag, and the same amount of OSF is ~$44, shipped.

Gypsum Flour from Colorado. IDK, perhaps Co gypsum is special. I get gypsum at the feed store, $12/40lb bag.

Crustacean Meal. No experience, too expensive to ship to my location.

Neem Cake. This and Kelp meal I'll spring for the shipping. The benefits of both are well worth it.

Local Basalt rock dust? If you didn't pay to ship rocks, you're golden. No basalt for me, locally, but I can get Granite meal, $3/5 gallon bucket full, ~60lbs. You supply the bucket and shovel. $18 for a CY, but that was more weight than my truck could handle. :laughing:

I'm just saying with just a few exceptions like neem, most things have suitable alternatives that can be sourced locally and at much lower cost. Kelp meal is available locally, but the *all girls* nursery went from $9.50 for a 5lb bag of Algamin to $23. They got their pantys in a wad after they said they had never had it for under $10 and I showed them the bag with their price sticker still attached. :poke:  It's cheaper to buy online, waaaay cheaper. The exception that proves the rule, I guess.

Wet

You're darn tootin' it's special!  :p

8. it wasnt that much money, i didnt need a lot because my grow is going to be so small. i should have everything on wed or thurs. ive been reading and see that some people say to fill the bottom half of the pot with the amended organic soil and the top with regular potting soil so it doesnt burn the young plant. is that the best practice?

9. #9 Anatman, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    Boy am I glad I peeked in on this thread...
    What feed store do you get your gypsum? :ey: :laughing: