first timer and i need help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by goonkid, Jul 14, 2006.

1. hey guys i think im gonna try to grow a plant.....here goes

my growbox is a trunk that is about 1 and a half feet tall

my first question about this is thus: is this too small to grow in? i was planning on mounting my light on the top lid and lining the inside with tin foil....and then cut holes for a computer fan....and are fans imperitive? im more about acually growing and smoking my own than the quality of bud

im buying a 450 watt hps....

my question about this is as follows: how expensive are they? can i buy them at home depot? and will my parents notice the light bill is alot higher and start asking questions?

the main reason that i am doing this in my trunk is that it is somewhere my mom never goes and i never really use....also i can lock it

my last question is smell.....my mom smoked for years and is there a chance she could smell the bud?

thanks alot guys

2. 1.5 feet of vertical is not much. Once you mount the HPS in there you will find you have even less space. You will definately have to LST to keep low vertical. 450 watts won't add much to the E-bill. Maybe $15-25 extra per month. YEs fans are imperitive. Smell depends on strain. Consider getting/building a carbon scrubber or buying an ozone filter for smell. 400 watt hps at www.insidesun.com is around $200 or so. Good luck.

3. 1.5 feet of aera isnt much considering you need a pot to put the plant in and then some way to mount the light. and also the light should be 12 inches away from the plant so that leaves you with about negitive 14 inches of room with a 450 watt hps. i dont even think they make a 450 what hps but i may be wrong with that. if you can do it in a bigger aera then go for it but i dont think you can do it in a 1.5 foot tall thing because the light alone is about 8-10 inches tall. you best bet is to find a new space that is prety tall

4. Haha that reminds me of when I was growing a plant in my bathroom (that was in my bedroom)and I had to hide it from my mom.

Have you thought of puting the trunk in a corner on its side, that would like triple the hight.

You would have to find a creative way to mount the light but it might be worth a try.

Hope your grow works out better then mine, I lost power and water for a week due to a hurricane :(

5. that wont be enough space... you could use a dresser if you have an extra and just smash out the inside of the drawers and run an extention cord to it... that how i did my first grow.
    first you should probably get a 5 gallon bucket or something big if your going to try to get some good plants going