Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

First time user, so many questions

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by KingofHearts, May 14, 2020.

1. Very long story short (well, as short as I can and I appreciate any help you folks provide), I got a medical marijuana card that I legally qualify for in the state I live in, but I haven't used it and I'm still unsure I'm going to because I'm not certain it's going to help my condition and if I get drug tested at work I'm fired on the spot.

To add some context, I'm over 50 and make a decent paycheck and I can't replace this job if I lose it, I will literally work for half the pay the rest of my life if I get caught. Some of you may remember I asked some questions when I was going on vacation last year to a location that offers recreational marijuana. Well, I didn't try it and I wish I had because I'd like to know it if will help my condition. Anyway, about the job, they will have zero tolerance if I get caught, I've been tested twice in 10 years so the chances I get tested are slim, but if I do I won't be talking my way out of it.

Also, maybe I might enjoy it and this job has taken a lot of the joy out of my life. I get paid well, but they get a lot of hours and effort in return.

To sum up that part:

1. Get caught, get fired
    2. I have enough money in the bank to survive if that happens
    3. I'd like to try it at this point
    4. I'd like to work 10 more years, getting caught likely means losing half a million in salary over those 10 years. That's a lot
    5. It might help my condition
    6. It's unlikely I get tested again at this point.

I'm not sure I'll take the risk. I know it's only me that can decide, but I'd like the thoughts of the people as well.

If, and I mean IF I try it and it helps my medical condition then I'm going to keep on with it and even notify my HR team that I'm doing it and fight the fight, it means that much to me to feel good again.

If I try it and it doesn't help, but I like it, what if I keep it to a couple times a month and drink plenty of water, does that limit my chances of coming up dirty on a test? I'm not trying to start my very own "help me pass my test" thread, but just in general (if that's possible) will a 6'0" slender guy have less of a chance coming up dirty, say, 10 days after smoking if it's just an occasional thing? After 6 months of that am I then building up enough in my system that it won't matter?

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of things, but a lot is going through my head as I have my card and am thinking of stopping at the dispensary tomorrow. Maybe the lockdown is getting to me.

Thank you for any insight you can give a potential new user. What to try, am I stupid for trying it given my work situation, etc...

Thank you all and be safe.

2. #2 old shol4evr, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    delete

3. The policy is clear, test positive and get fired. I do know in the state I am in they have to have a reason to test me, they can't test me because they find out I have a card and my company doesn't do randoms. I have to give them a reason to test me, and I won't, unless I get hurt somehow and then a post accident test comes into play.

For those reasons I put my chances of getting tested at 5%. The problem is obvious, if that 5% happens, well, I'm screwed, somewhat. In all honesty, I hate the job anymore and only stay for the fat paycheck. It isn't rewarding or fun and doesn't help humanity at all and I have no hope of a promotion or anything like that. The job I do is the job I will do for 10 more years and the thought of that sickens me a little, except every Friday.

I guess I'm thinking the limited chance I get tested plus my willingness to use sparingly puts my chances of getting fired at a very small percentage. Maybe I'm fooling myself and really shouldn't be considering this at all.

4. You should be fairly fine long as there are no accidents at work which would give them a reason to test you. I'd ask a lawyer too. You said that you have a MMC that should provide some immunity to being fired if you need to have it for medical reasons.

5. Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure consulting a lawyer will help, at least not yet. There are a couple cases in my state I'm very anxious to see the outcome of as they will set precedent.

I know where I am it the law is pretty clear that I can't be fired for simply having the card, even if my employer knows about it. I can only be fired for being impaired at work, which I will 1000% never be. The problem, as you all know, is that a test doesn't confirm impairment, only use over a recent period of time.

Now the big issue is that I did try it, and it worked. I'm probably in the minority and really don't see how it's fun recreationally (that's just me), but it helped my pain and helped me sleep through the night for the first time in years. The result was I felt great for a couple days after only one use.

This makes my decision to use it even tougher. Have much less pain and better rest while putting my job at risk or continue with a level of employment comfort, but be in constant pain?