First time trying a poor man's cloning without hormones

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Deleted member 923969, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Day 3all leaves look fine I pinched all the tips off and placed them in soggy muddy soil I just poured water until I covered all dirt making into mud and then I place my clones in the muddy dirty nice and soggy wet left water in the drainage area also to keep soil to stay moist as long as possible then I placed zip lock bags over both clones and taped it seal shut and I notice water droplets from all over the inside of bag and the plants are still alive after 3 days like this so am I doing this correctly again I did not use hormones at all.just stuck in mud and place bag over n sealed it up I got it far away from the light off to the side by other plants getting the left over light which seems to be enough any input or criticism is welcome.

Sent from my KFASWI using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. IMO that is way too wet and will most likely mold/rot in those conditions. Rooting media should have just enough moister to keep the cuts from wilting. Most of the water the clone takes should come from a humid environment, not the stem.

3. Ok so what ill do then is let it drain and just keep the bag over it to retain moisture good catch I wouldn't of thought of it rotting it before it roots out makes sense appreciate the feedback.

4. Today is day 4 while yesterday I drain the excess amount of water out. Today they are still show great vitality for continuing life only time will tell if it will take root or not new update tomorrow and each day until I either succeed or fail.

5. May I suggest an ancient trick to promote rooting? When your plants need watering again, use "willow water". :D

Find a willow tree and cut a couple of small branches(2 feet/ half a meter of branch is plenty). Remove any leaves, then cut the branches into 1 inch or so pieces. Put them in a quart/ 1 liter jar of water overnight. Strain out the pieces and discard them. Use the "willow water" on your plants. Willows are full of rooting hormones that will bleed into the water, giving you a natural (and free) rooting hormone solution.

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jiffy pellets are like 4 bucks for 36 at home depot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ...or just use household honey its got the hormones and is antiseptic and sticks in water too ...lol

• Like Like x 2
  8. Today is day 6 everything looks the same as if it was cut on day 1 still healthy looking so far it seems to be working in about 6more days from now ill check to see if it rooted or not. So far I'm roughly around the halfway mark before a root should start forming only time will tell in the next coming week.

9. Today is about day 8 great news I have roots first time ever cloning and I succeeded without hormones so if anybody else poor and low on money this method works I never felt so happy this is a big milestone for me I never cloned anything before

10. Will try and post a pic of the roots a little later when it's lights on again

11. Here is a pic day 16 roots made it to bottom of container read for transplant into bigger grow medium in 1week roughly 1586833586901.jpg 1586833637100.jpg 1586833675656.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. I never use hormones. Sometimes I’ll dip in the goop from and aloe leaf, or use very light bloom nutes in the bubble cloner, but usually it’s just water. This last attempt was a a last minute cut from a strain I have been growing for almost three years that I lost to mites. I had saved three seeds that I randomly found throughout its life in the tips of buds and brought her back. My son reminded me as I was getting her situated in the flower room to cut clones. I used a different method this time and just cut my clones, shaved some of the outer layer off to expose the cambium, trimmed the leaves in half and stuck them into rapid rooters inside a dome. Two rooted in 10 days and are transplanted into one gallon pots of soil and still waiting for the other two

• Like Like x 1