First time topping

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by aerocopter, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Ok, so this is my first grow op and im wondering if its too early to pinch the head shown in the picture. At least, im pretty sure its a head. Like i said, this is my first grow op :eek:

I helped one of my friends grow his plant this summer, and he topped it a few times and ended up with 11 heads. is this common? can i get even more?

any input is appreciated, thanks!

-Aerocopter

Attached Files:

2. It's too early. Wait a week or so at least.

Also, one plant is not a grow op :p

3. ok, thanks.
    haha, my bad. like i said, first timer here

4. Me too, just fucking with you lol

5. how many nodes are there

6. just the one pictured.

7. Then yes its too early, I dont top but from what I read the general consensus is after the 4th node.

8. what makes waiting for the other nodes so important? just curious. why shouldnt i top it right now?

9. Well topping is a pretty high stress incident for the plant, if you top it that young you risk killing it.

10. oh ok. that makes sense. thanks!

11. In time you may consider topp the plant, at the 4th internode, and with the little top you then aero clone the little sucker, to define it's sex, allow the roots to develop, 10 -12 days,..then presto you have another identical plant that you may grow out and repeat

peace
    "V"

12. Topping a plant will stunt it's growth for about two weeks. When you top it you are stopping the main shoot from growing straight up so that the other nodes can then grow as talk as the original top. Once they are as tall then you top both of the two tops originated from the original one tops and you will then end up with 4 tops and so on. With a MJ plant it's best to only top two times as to not stress the plant too much. The amount of tops you will have depends on how many nodes you have prior to topping as these will grow up into tops.

13. ahhh i am now enlightened 8) so the longer i wait, the better it gets? sounds good!

14. #14 Carlo123, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
    The plant looks healthy, I would just let it get about 4 good growing nodes and let it get settled in to its pot. Then just chop the top. People say it stresses the plant, but I have done it to a ton of mine, and they never seem to care, just keep on a growin. Then as Vostok said, clone the top you cut off.

15. I have litterally split several plants, directly in half down the stem for like a foot on accident while they were in flower and veg. I just wrapped electrical tape around them and they did not even seem affected. They grew and yielded just as much as the others. So I am not really a big worrier about plant stress. Other than HEAT that is one thing that can F' ur shit up.

16. The plant stress only slows the growth so if your a perpetual grower like I am I try to stress my plants less by only pinching the very top off and not trimming anything off of them until time to flower. At that time I trim the very bottoms up, which I turn to clones, and take two nodes up each branch off to give more energy to bud making ;) good luck to you!