First time raising chickens

Discussion in 'Pets' started by evilcookie, May 16, 2015.

1. Why not, it's much more humane and you know what they've been eating cus you're the one that fed them. Remember the daffy duck Elmer fiddle thanksgiving special-"Two go out but only one comes back ha ha he he ha he ha

Sent from my HTC Desire 816 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Stick to your guns and do what's right. If you show them how life really is instead of sugar coating it, they will be less likely to buy caged animals for food. Plus it's much more healthy and humane. The World is getting too dependant on pre-packaged, gmo filled, bound and tortured animals. Most of them die of heat exhaustion and most never even get to stand up cus they're wacked out of their minds on tryptophan, a tranquilizer that causes many highway fatalities on the holidays because the drug gets in their glands then we the consumer get drugged. You would be doing a good deed by giving that turkey a good year rather than a bad 4 months bound in a cage. Sorry bout the rant. By not wanting to kill the bird does show your compassion but do some research and it will turn your stomach but a self-raised bird wouldn't. Peace

3. yea I'm trying not to sugar coat life for my kids....idk if i should to the extent i do though, I want them to be happy and have SOMETHING to look forward to lol

4. Chicken conspiracy !!!

5. I hunt, kill, and eat what I kill but killing something that I've developed a relationship with is just too hard.

6. I grew up on a farm but live right on the edge of the woods and love everything about nature ank killing is part of that too but I don't enjoy it either. However, it is much more humane than meat mills just enslaving animals in cages that get abused often and never get to run wild. I'm poor and need to subsistence hunt and forage for mushrooms and wild herbs and berries, etc. The World Is Our Grocery Store Bro.

7. Guess you keep chickens cz you like them. Cz its not financially beneficial. Price of eggs & a even a chicken os very little. Would cost you more to raise imo

Sent from my SM-T210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. We're blessed to live in the country on large acreage. We have three buff orpington hens we got as chicks. First time raising chickens for us too. I chose this breed because they are the most docile of all the chicken breeds, plus they are cold hardy to -20. They're all grown up now and at least two of them are starting to lay. We got them for the eggs, plus they are fun companions. Hubby and I spend time helping them to hunt grasshoppers in the evening. They like to follow us around the property and will even peck at one of the doors when they want us to come outside. At first I kept them in a run, but I saw how unhappy they were so I let them free range. They have plenty of cover to duck under if there's a hawk circling above. No trouble with coyotes yet, knock on wood. We won't eat the original three, but down the road we plan on getting a rooster to breed them for chickens we will eat.

9. I used to have them when I was younger. They are such easy animals to raise and eating the eggs are better tasting and have a lot more nutrients (and no added hormones and shit). We used to let them free roam the property and they would always go into there nesting box to sleep by themselves. They would follow me around when out doing garden work and let you pet/pick them up even. I'd definitely get them if I had land for them to roam.

• Like Like x 1
  10. This takes me back to my childhood!! How bitter sweet. Congrats on your farm journey brother. They start laying at around four or five months if I remember correctly

Sent from my LGLS775 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. [​IMG]

I only have 5 myself, my lot size allows 3 more max but I haven't built an extra area to keep the new ones for a couple weeks, and have too many eggs as it is! Fridge full all the time lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. [​IMG]

My royal palm hen named Paula and my blue slate tom named Dean.
    First time seeing my hen strut. Paula was killed sitting on a nest hatching out Turkey chicks earlier this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. When I was 6 I lived in the country on a farm. One of my chores was to collect the eggs every morning. There was a crazy rooster that would flat out attack me every day. Scared the crap out of me.