First Time PC Grow!

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by weedwasted, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Using:
    3x 26w CFL and 1 42w CFL (on clamp)
    1 80mm fan for exhaust 1 80mm fan + smaller 60mm fan for intake.
    Going with an organic soil mix thanks to the guys over in the organics forum.
    Bag seed of some stinky green stuff :smoking:

Here's some pics, will update once seed is germinated and in the soil.

Attached Files:

2. this is probably the dumbest question to ever hit GC but here goes.... how do you water indoor plants? sit it over the sink, drip tray --> empty, what?

3. This is how I do it. Then I just dump the runoff outside.

Attached Files:

4. many thanks! i figured thats what you had to do. ps im loving the mini bubbler, broke mine not too long ago. /:

5. Decided to throw in a 1500 lumens 25W cfl, now running around 9,200 lumens and 145W. waiting for the seed to pop =)

6. Ya man, this way you can keep the runoff out of the saucer and avoid humidity issues and possible fungus gnats. I learned that the hard way.
    Haha thanks dude, that shit gets me ripped and I actually broke the bowl a while ago so I'm extra careful now.

7. I know you have that reflective stuff everywhere but you should try to get or make a reflector for the lights since they're the main light source.

8. ill upload some pics when i get home, im doing something a little different with the larger 42W 2700 cfl. im hanging it from the ceiling looking straight down. pics coming soon. give thoughts once posted, dont want to be wasting light!

i also am conflicted with my fans. i have 3, 2 intake 1 exhaust, but im thinkin of converting all to exhaust. should i wait to see if there are any heat issues before breaking the box down again?

9. Since its a tight space hanging them might be good and you won't need reflectors, but I'd still look at directing that light. Just remember a reflector might cause heat to buildup. The way you have the fans positioned now, air will be pushed in and sucked right back out. You should have put intake on one side and exhaust on the other so you actually get airflow. But I'd leave them like they are and switch them all to exhaust and just put some vents on the other side. That way air flows across the plants. IF you have heat issues I'd get another fan and put it directly across from the top one and attach a little bit of ducting pointing towards the lights so you get concentrated airflow to and from the lights. (Shitty illustration)<---|=== @@@ ===|<---
    Hopefully that makes sense.

10. i think i know the best/easiest solution. on the back of the case ill have 3 intakes, 1 80mm positioned in line with the lights blowing cool air on them, and 1 80mm 1 45(ish)mm blowing on the plants. on the front of the case, adjacent to the 3 intakes, ill put a 120mm exhaust fan to suck out the air blowing across the lights and plant. sound good? i figure its the least destructive to the current design and it sounds like it would control heat the best.

11. ran into another problem - the hit glue + velcro strips isnt working out, not nearly enough support for lights. would the velcro sticky pads (one side velcro one side tape) work better or am i looking at drilling holes and fastening it in place?

12. Personally I would look for a more permanent solution, drilling holes like you said. I have Velcro in my veg room for the door I made and with humidity and heat it won't stick more than a day or 2. Find out exactly where and how you want you lights to be and permanently secure them. You don't want to open the door one day and find the lights have been laying on the plants all day burning them.

Edit - Or even put some screws in the wall where you want the lights to be. I have that same power strip and there should be holes in the back to hang it. Much easier.

13. Sup GC, just posting an update --

Secured power strip with some zip ties, flipped all 3 fans to exhaust, and am currently rigging up a fixture for my 42w 2700k bulb. I've run into a problem though - is it alright if I have all 4 of my CFLs that will be plugged into my power strip TOUCHING? There's 3 26w and a 25w. does this present any kind of hazards? If so my whole grow will have to be rethought...

14. just copped some superthrive! if only this seed would pop

15. hey man, nice looking set-up. I'm nearly at harvest with my first, my thread may have some info useful, good luck!

16. Just a couple questions. 1. Where are you getting these intake fans? And 2. How are you connecting them to the pc case?

17. #17 weedwasted, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
    hey bud, glad to see youre intersted.
    1.) i got my fans from best buy for about 6 bucks, but you can check amazon and radioshack as well. amazon is the cheapest but best buy is faster and prices arent too much higher.
    2.) one is attached via screws to the back of the case where the original fan was. the other two are attached by cutting out cardboard and duct taping them to the cardboard, then duct taping the card board to the computer case. (southern way of doin things!)
    3.) i would NOT recommend using INTAKE fans. i was and my temps were at 100 degrees F (70-78 is ideal). by changing all 3 to EXHAUST (sucking air out) i managed to drop down TWENTY degrees. however im still not low enough to be happy with my temps. just a newbs word of advice.

18. I am currently doing a closet grow. I was just interested about how these pc cases are put together. Thinking i might make one for my next grow

19. yeah its been a blast makin it. if i could just get my hands on some beans now.. planning on building maybe a wooden cab or plastic tote cab to have a perpetual grow

20. ive wired 3 pc fans yellow and red to one black to other.. got that. how the heck do i wire the red black yellow AND blue pc fan? (went a got a 120mm 45cmu from best buy) i have a 12v power source and im stripping wires to connect the two. how do i do this???? thanks for the help!