first time, need help

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by craig7, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Try eBay, you should be able to fit a 200w CFL in there. They are about a foot long. You will get a couple of oz from one of those.

The colour temperature isn't that important, just get as much light as possible in there. If you have a choice of colour temperature and you can only get the one get a 2700k bulb. If you can get two kinds get a 6400k for vegging and 2700k for flowering. But don't stress too much, either bulb will work fine for both stages, so if you can only the one type so be it.

Don't concern your self with "equivalent watts". This refers to the amount of light given off equivalent to an incandescent bulb. Incandescent bulbs give off very little light and are no good for growing.

You will need to make a ScrOG screen to keep the height down. An auto flowering plant will help you keep your vegging time short and because you can rub your lights longer (even 24/0) you get better yields for the size of the plant

One plant will fill your case, you could get two in there but you won't get any more bud as they will be sharing root room and the light

2. found some 42 watt philips cfls. doesnt say on the website if its 6400k but it says daylight so i think that means it is. you think 2 of those with 2 similar 2700k bulbs would be good? are there any ScrOG tutorials on here? im going with an auto plant next time forsure but these are just bag seeds cause its my first time.

3. #23 GoldGrower, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
    You may be able to fit those 42 watters side ways so you should be able to fit quite a few, your idea of 4 would be still good though. Try and fill the ceiling with as much light as possible, be that one big bulb or several small ones. more light = More bud. It may work out cheaper to buy a stack of 25watt CFLs, they can be bought for £2 each over here, but then I guess you would have to buy more fittings.

Using non autos I would have the lights on for 18/6 for 3 weeks and then switch to 12/12. It may take another week or two to flower depending on strain but at least you will be in to flowering as soon as it's mature enough to do so. You could run the lights on 12/12 from germination but it won't speed anything up.

Have a look in the grow journal section and the micro grow section for ScrOG grows, there's loads of them. Photos will show you how to set one up better than I can explain

4. #24 craig7, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
    Tonight is the night this shit goes down. Got the light sockets, extension cord, windshield reflectors, potting soil and those seeds are ready to get busy. Gonna go get some lighting and then I need to find something to put the soil in (would cut pop cans work as a temporary solution till i get something legit or no?). I wish I didn't have to rush this so much but shit it's actually coming together.

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

edit: got a sylvania 40 watt 2700k cfl. apparently they didnt have any 6500k.. oh well but i noticed that on the box it says to operate the bulb base down only, but i've got the bulb hanging from an extension cord, you think this could be an issue? also i noticed the bulb got pretty hot pretty quick, I heard cfl's didnt get very hot so should i be worried? gonna get more bulbs soon, i figure 40 watts should be enough for the first few days right? gonna go buy some aluminum tape and cover up all the spots where I've still got light escaping now

Attached Files:

5. BOOYEAH! now lets just hope it's a female... not really worried if it's not cause i feel like the hardest part is almost done, if i have to try again so be it, I'm sure I'll only get better. sadly at this point it still leaks a bit more light than I'd like but only in a few spots, not sure if I'll actually be able to fix some of them or not though and it still needs the carbon filter which will also work as a light trap for the exhaust which is also a bit of a problem.. but i don't think I'm gonna leave it unattended tomorrow so it should be fine for now. hopefully the airflow will be fine with what i did to the intake vent, to keep light from escaping i had to put some cardboard and windshield reflector stuff over the intake vent, not enough to totally block it but so that i dont have much light getting out

Attached Files:

6. #26 craig7, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
    Got a 70mm fan in there for now just to give us some ventilation, got the light on a 12/12 schedule, lights on from 6pm-6am to keep energy costs down, and so that probably 95% of the time I'll be the only person in my room in that time period

just realized i have so many old dead pc fans... i should be able to make a few carbon filters easily. probably gonna head out and buy some carbon pellets and few working pc fans soon

Attached Files:

7. guess im a bit too late, but still.

You could have considered leds, they may not be the best option in general when put up against hps/mh, but for small micro grows they can not be beat.
    With cfls you always loose a lot of the output from the lamp without a good reflector, and with leds all your light goes straight down to the canopy, even reflectors can be avoided if you use small angle lenses. Then theres the usefull spectrum talk or lower temps and stuff but w.e.

Try and make sockets for lights not just hang them by the cable, they will get in the way. In a big server case you can put 2 cfls on the sides of the case for better side lighting, smaller ones like 15w each.

In general cfls will get pretty hot, but as long as they dont touch the plants its ok.

8. how could i properly mount the lights and still be able to raise them as the plant grows? also i heard that led's are more expensive and money is limited so thats why i went with cfl, and it seems thats what most people do

9. What do you do when you can't buy computer fans? You make your own. Found my sisters old laptop cooler with dual 80mm fans, unfortunately the fans were built right into the case but that didn't stop me. Anyways I cut a soup can in half, drilled a few holes, hot glue a few toothpicks in and then lots of tape and you've got a really ghetto looking fan that isn't really that strong, but it works. Also got my carbon filter installed.

Attached Files:

10. If your lights are fixed at the top you can... Oh i dont know, maybe put the pot up higher :D
    Or make a moveable fixture, but thats way more work

11. yeah i did thought about that, gonna do that once i get all my lights in there. also sadly the carbon filter got ripped open by the fan last night, thankfully i grabbed one of the 120 mm fans from my pc and set it up to run temporarily. i really gotta find a store that still sells pc fans..

12. You won't have to worry about light leaks or smell for the first couple of weeks.

Fixing the bulb horizontal is the way to go. And making a reflector for it is well worth it. Click the link in my signature for a tutorial on how to make a reflector

13. Dont bother trying to make the lights adjustable, just fit them all in snug along the top and sides and put the plant on a few DVD cases and remove them as the plant grows bigger

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. #34 craig7, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
    so got my 70mm fan back in with a light trap, not much airflow but it is blowing hot air so i know it's working. should be fine for now but what would i ideally want as far as ventilation goes for this? i would think to keep smell under control i would want passive intake, by which i mean all the fans would be taking air out of the case and then the negative pressure would cause air to be sucked in through the intake at the bottom and any other gaps i haven't sealed and so im thinking 4 80mm fans with 2 carbon filters in a push/pull configuration where 1 fan blows into the filter and one fan sucks through the filter and I'll have 2 of them side by side at the top. you think that would be fine?

also, pics

Attached Files:

15. Yeah that sounds good. How will you make the carbon filter to fit the pc fans?

16. #37 craig7, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014
    Got a more proper light setup now, still only 1 bulb but 42w is still plenty I'm sure, might get a splitter and get a second bulb in soon though

Attached Files:

17. That bulb will be fine for the first week or two, nice reflector man

18. Got more pics, the first plant is looking sexy but the one in the white container isn't doing as well.. Only got one leaf, but it's a big leaf, the other leaf got burned a bit when the light accidentally lowered a bit when it was just sprouting. You think it will be fine or not? Would there be anything I could do to help it?

My buddy might be able to get me some white rhino seeds and the seeds I'm using were from some kinda shitty weed so if something goes wrong with these two I'm not really going to care a whole lot, I'll do it better next time. And these could be males too... no real pressure yet, anything could happen.

Attached Files:

19. The one in the white container looks like its sprouting normally imo, give it a day or two to open up

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Grasscity Forum mobile app