First time LST Advice and comments welcome

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dropinbiking, Aug 22, 2019.

1. First outdoor grow here. Got some feedback from a few guys that I could do some LST to spread the plant out more, so I took it upon myself to give it a try. Used garden ties.

My only concern is will these ties cut into the stems or hurt the plant at all? The two main colas took a bit of tension to even bend them over that far, the whole stem structure is getting pretty woody, they are late veg early flower.

Everything looking okay before I carry on ahead with the other plants? Is this optimal? Or anything dangerously wrong? I'm mostly concerned about cutting into the stems, but I guess they shouldn't be under so much tension as they gradually grow into that new shape?

Sorry for the hard photos, my camera sucks in high lighting. The last ones give you a good idea of a before and after between my two similar plants. Is this good enough? A for effort?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. OHHH YEAH.....looks GREAT bro....nice job! Those garden ties won't hurt it at all...from my experience....now IT IS POSSIBLE to hurt your plants with them....but you will/should know WHEN that is...when you are putting it on...if its cutting into the branch...then you need to back it off a bit...

Yeah...it's got great "space" now and the sun will be able to beat down in there nicely!!!:metal:

A for effort for sure!:thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. yes plants stems harden up like wood about 2weeks in flower its not wise although some people have success by rubbing the place were you want to bend and rub it gently did you top the plant on left or just tied them apart??
    they both look nice and healthy for outdoor plants :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeah be just fine, i use them..just make sure you got a small loop like you have in pic, had them on 3months, no harm whatsoever

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Both of those plants got topped at the same time, just once, way back, and are very similar in size and structure. That's after I tied the one on the left, before tying the one on the right. Thanks, sounds like they're doing good, and they did get a late start.

They've been woody for a while. The lower part of the stems got king of bambo looking a while back. I was actually scared to tie the colas down a bit because of this I noticed a while back. Turned out it really wasn't anything major and the plant still has a ton of structure at that join. Knowing what I know now, I would have tied them down a while back.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. that one on left is going to give you 2 1 foot long colas :D its got great internodal space all way up the stems what strain are they ??

7. The two pictured are growing very very similarly. Tight node spacing, lots of stuff happening all over, it should yield quite a bit. I have no idea on the strain, but I'm certain those two plants are the same. The third out of frame has a much wider spacing, and is overall a lankier plant with less going on, it almost looks like a sativa plant while these two pictured look more indica. I'm no expert and don't really have a clue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. You'll know better nxt run, shes gonna give out a good yeild i would say..

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Id tie that loop in second pic under the fan leaf an bud branch too give her space for the stretch without any damage bro.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Weew, finally got a good 'snack' into me, brewed a coffee, grabbed the vape and spent a good twenty minutes per plant inspecting, why? Well last night surfing around I realized that the leaf damage I had back in June was from inch worm / caterpillar / whatever you feel like calling them. I didn't think much at the time, but last night read some serious horror stories and saw some nasty pictures.

I picked 3 out of the garden late june. Two on one plant, the third on another plant. Since then I haven't had any fresh leaf damage, but I took a LONG look today with a light, magnifying glass, and going over each branch top and bottom one by one. Paranoia? All the grown since june shows zero sign of leaf damage or any sort of inch worm or Caterpillar infestation.

Not to sound cocky, but I'm pretty sure I've solved the problem. Should I just continue to keep an eye for any? Is it likely to remove them completely if you catch them early enough? I looked for eggs, any webs, signs of poop, fresh bit holes, couldn't find what I was looking for.

As for LST, in just 24 hours, I have noticed some shoots pointing straight up how they should, and getting ready to take on some serious growth. The two I tied down are showing clear signs of liking the move, and I've got little shoots making their way towards the light already. I readjusted some tie downs, re-tensioned a few, and it seems to be happy days out there.

My man, we think alike. I re-evaluated my tie downs and moved and few and separated a few for that reason, didn't wanna cause any problems when they stretch.

Here's some up close of the node spacing and how they differ between (what I believe) are two different strains. Hope you can see what I see, I know it's hard to convey plants through pictures.

Sorry for the long posts for anyone who reads my posts, I make long posts, that's what I do. Please nobody out me for it hahaha

[​IMG]

Here's the one that I believe to be sativa based

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's what the other two look like at the colas

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's some of that old damage I mentioned

[​IMG]

Here's a little dude that likes to hang around, any idea what they are? They seem harmless enough, quick shake and they fuck off for a while, never see more than 2-3 hanging around.

[​IMG]

Damn do I ever love growing, I'm surprised it took me this long to get into it. And DAMN do I love living in the middle of nowhere up here in Canada. The forest is loud as hell with critters and animals, nice cool breezy day. I swear these plants love this enviornment. A friend of mine is growing a batch of the same stuff started at the same time, but he's in a different geographical area, higher up with less forest around, I'm low down at swamp level surrounded by forest. Might be part of the reason mine are flourishing more? He's been all about scientific nutrients and watering schedules and all that fancy stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the long wordy post, and sorry if the pictures aren't the best, just using my phone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Plants looking very nice bro, think theyre both satvias, those tops pics, just keep tying em down til you get the bud sites too where you want them, as for that critter, fuck knows either it looks pretty lol ffs, im in north west Hebrides off Scotland, we dont get em here anyway bud

• Like Like x 1
  12. When looking at all three head on, only the two on the right are tied down, they are much bushier. The one on the left is just thinner overall. It's growth and node spacing seem completely different, and leaves are nowhere near as wide. I dunno, it just seems like the odd man out, hence why I never tied it down, it just isn't so cluttered.

I've also barely clipped or trimmed anything off the plant on the left, but the middle one, and right one I've been ditching leaves and small growth like crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Middle one is gonna give off some nice big colas all going good, no idea what strain the far right lady is?, yeah defoloiation can be a pain in the arse lol, fairly grow back tenfold, i lst my plants from a week old

• Like Like x 1
  14. 26th june til now, shot off underneath 20190822_215829.jpg 15665865240301248784570730187487.jpg 15665866895194171519202724506345.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Here, trouble uploading it

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. That's some crazy looking stalk, I was way late to the training party. I pretty much just trimmed leaves and watched them grow. Kicking myself, but oh well. Defoliating has been a dream for me. I kinda take the slow and steady approach. Maybe twice a week I'll go out and lob off some stuff that's either old and done it's cycle, or just shaded or in the way of new tops.

I will say after spreading the plants out and being able to see the main shoots easier, it's been easy to tell which fan leaves need to go. I took off a good few today after the plants shifted around from being tied down. Much more light penetration to the tops. Sounds like more tops getting direct light means more colas. Obviously nothing will beat the main two but I'm not complaining.

Rookie question, and I'm sure you hate it, but from what you've seen from all my picture (More on my albums if you feel like browsing) What kind of yield would you expect for these plants, assuming they go through flower and harvest with no issues.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I've noticed this site has problems with super high res and super high MB pictures. I scale all mine down for easier upload and to help out others on a slower connection. This forum has changed a LOT since I was last here 4-5 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Thats the million dollar question lol, hard too say but all going well they look good an strong enough too bear a good yeild, saying that its still a hard one too guess, couple pounds anyway , shame you didn't know the strains

• Like Like x 1
  19. It is what it is, I'm not complaining. I know that strains really can dictate how they grow, what they yield, and even how to grow them better, but all mine were just random seedlings that I was given. I'm not big on what strains I smoke, good bud is good bud, but I agree, it is kind of a shame I don't know exactly what I'm growing.

My three little guys I have going on the deck are 100% purple mamba. I'm excited for those because they are just starting, I'll be able to train them and feed them better, and they will be getting put into an indoor grow room shortly.

20. Awesome bro....when you change from outdoor to in......make sure you do a GOOD screening for pests......and I would even recommend that after that first grow....if you plan to make that tent/room an indoor only set up....I'd wipe it clean before I start my next batch

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1