First Time hydroponics

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by NefNet_Futo, Mar 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Hello everybody!

This is my first hydroponic box, might be ugly and basic of course and all will be better tied down when planting time comes.

So I have grown a lot in soil however I am tired of gauging the water requird for soil and over/under-watering. I have in past only ever worked with mix bag seeds and taken a bunch of crops being destroyed by male plants.

So I bit the bullet and spent nearly 100 bucks on 8 seeds.

I plan to only start 4 per side. I would like some tips based on what my set up looks like before i waste these seeds if the air flow should look like bubbles or steady waves. If all cups should have bubbles or if its ok to just have the corners fill up with air bubbles. I know its desolving oxygen but does it get to the roots in the center of my set up. Or do i need an air rock in the dead center.

I do not want root rot, I dont want to make a mistake and would live some opinions or tips on what I could do to make sure of a succesful grow and seeing all these others saying they are having issues, what have you done to avoid issues other people have had?

And Yes im going to lower the light.

I appreciate any ones help or time :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. My homemade box is ugly too, but it works, and that's all that matters :) You'll probably get a lot of questions about your garden before you get specific assistance, but that's because ppl need to know a few things. For example, how big is your grow area in sq ft, 4x4, 3x3 etc. Specifics about your light? Type, how many (actual) watts, etc, etc, etc. Do you know anything about the nutrients you're going to be using? Fill in a few blanks and I'm sure you'll get all the help you need here.

3. Smart, I should have included that haha. Thanks man.

My light is a 600 watt viraspectra or how ever thats spelled with the adjustable dimmer for seedlings. Ive measured the light at 50 percent as i didnt want to damage my eyes while doing so. It put out 200 watts . So it isnt exactly as advertised but it hopefully won't light my tent up.
    The tent is a 4x2
    My mediums are plugs and I have some rock wool from previous years, although due to researching I see thats almost as bad as asbestos.
    Any other questions that might benefit to such a question?

4. Your specs are almost exactly like mine -- my 'big' tent is 36" x 20" x 64", also have a smaller one for seedlings. I've been using both a cheap Chinese 'blurple' for vegging, and (warm) T-5's for flowering. Sure, I could use a better light for better yields, (when I can afford it) but I have had several successful grows with just the T-5's. HPS is still considered the "Gold Standard" for growing by many growers, but LED's are catching up fast with the newest tech, and I believe they are def the wave of the future.

What are you planning to use for nutrients? I use the "Lucas Formula", which keeps it pretty simple. I only use the "Micro" and the "Bloom" nutes from the GH Flora series, with a bit of GH Cali-Mag. I don't use the Flora "Grow" at all. Of course I keep a close eye on my PH and PPS levels, (very inexpensive meters from Amazon make that simple) and I keep PH Down handy, especially when adding nutes, which usually raise the PH.

You can find pretty much everything you need to be successful in the forums, just search for what you're looking for, and someone has probably already answered it! But I'm happy to help with anything I can here. Good luck!

GS

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'd run a couple of air stones because no such thing as too much oxygen and get some hydroguard from botanicare. Try to keep your rez temps below 70° F and above 65° F to help prevent root root. The hydroguard will help protect the roots if temps get too high.

6. Good shit sir. Im looking into that now. My number one concern is root rot at this point.

Good tips, I did have Hps but the wattage was running a little high and hot in the tent with little space I decided to go a little more efficient just to avoid accidents. How ever HPS would of course be my first choice.

Im using some root farm nutrients for hydroponics, veggie base. I have 5 air stones now inside the bin. I have ph up and ph down of course with a few multiparameters now testing the DO, PH, Temperature, and conductivity. The conductivity im not really sure how to tell what im looking for how ever some research tells me that its likely going to be unaffected. If any one has other information on that I would love to know.

I tend to use root powder to start cuttings or seeds to be sure they get requirment. Currently I am germinating in a jiffy dome soaked with root powder and a light amount of veggie base nutrients measured under the seed directions.

I hear lilac planted next to your plants can deter pests. Has any one else tried this or have an organic/safe remedy that i could use to prevent mites and other pests?

Excuse my grammar

• Like Like x 1