first time hydro grow nutr question

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by ryonroaden, Apr 28, 2011.

1. my plants are 5 inches and iv added my first round of nuts, BC buds the low dose. i change my water every week should i go to the next highest dose after a week or should i wait 2 weeks to go to the next dose?

2. lots o variables... it really depends on the strain of MJ your using... every strain handles nutes differently...

some like to do a fresh change of water and nutes once a week

others never change their water.. just figure out the math to add the correct PPM/water

its best just to figure out what your comfortable doing.. and go with that...

here's what i do in my hydro grow.. General Hydroponics micro/bloom

fresh nutes and fresh water once a week.. I slowly increase the PPM by 25% till i reach full strength(lucas formula)... I have a res so my water is auto topped at all times... and the PH is checked twice a day(minimum)

this was rumples advice.. and it fits my life style... and theirs no math(complicated stuff)

now...... my ph rises at all times.. unless its completely stable(it can happen)... if it were to fall, my PPM is too high.. and you must lower it quickly or problems can happen, like a total melt down...

this is just one example... there really is no wrong answer.. as long as it works... choose a easy strain.. this way you can pretty much murder the plant with nutrients and it will keep trucking along..

start a journal.. it helps you figure out whats going wrong..

3. Ya Tihspeed is right, but for a first time grow I would suggest following the directions of the manufacturer pretty much to the letter. Usually you can increase what the manufacturer suggests a little, because they always play it safe in the PPM..

Now, here is the debate...
    Do you ease into the max veg ppm or do you give the max ppm as soon as they're on nutes...

Some manufacturers have their feeding schedules ease into the max veg & bloom ppm range, and some manufacturers say after a week, full 1200ppm until they switch to flower..

I always eased it up...
    I change weekly and every week I increase it 200-300ppm..
    So I start out at between 4-600ppm on first week, and next weekly change I bump it up to 6-800ppm, next change 8-1000ppm...

By week 4, you should be between 1000-1200ppm..
    If you're vegging for 6 weeks, keep it between 1200-1500ppm tops..
    You should do fine with the weekly change of the res...

4. 1/4th strength until there's at least a fist sized root ball then move to 2/3 or 1/2

5. Gh nutes have the amounts for every phase listed in a handy chart on the bottles.