First time hydro DWC, need some guidance

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Taliz, Nov 17, 2018.

1. #1 Taliz, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Good afternoon guys, hope you guys can assist me.

This is a supposed blue dream clone that a friend took for me from his mother plant.
    This clone was vegged out a little in coco coir where i took some more cuttings off her and have them
    successfully rooted in rockwool.

So i figured that since i have some clones rooted already i wanted to take the mother and stick her in a DWC bucket as an experiment as i already had all the equipment.

One thing to note is the purple stems, however i have seen the mother plant and she has these gorgeous dark green leaves and purple stems. So i think it might be a genetic trait?

Regardless im having issues with this plant in the bucket.

Here is what im growing in.
    1x 20l bucket
    2x 4" circular airstones *these stones work super well*
    1x air pump
    Nutes: I am using the nutriplex line which is a local brand by me, had mates grow out using these nutes successfully. Nutriplex 1L Complete Set
    Medium: Coco Coir *strange choice buts its an intert medium and was flushed numerous times before using*
    Lights: Custom Cree Cob ballast pushing out 250w.
    Water: Tap water that reads 105ppm on my meter

Shes been in the bucket for 2+ weeks and growth has been slow.
    She does have 2 longish roots in the water but the thing to note is the leaf colour.
    I purchased a TDS and PH meter today, calibrated both and took 2 readings.

• 6:30 TDS = 430 PH = 5.8 Water Temp = 75 F *Due to the leaves looking yellowish i added 1 teaspoon of epsom salts to try help out but i suspect it could be N deficiency*

• 15:30 TDS = 573 PH = 5.60 Water Temp = 82 F
    I know temps are high in the bucket, already got numerous 2l soda bottle in freezer as we speaking waiting to go in once they are nice and frozen.

Also to note that the plant was already yellowing before i threw in the epsom salts with the TDS at 430.

Hope some of you gurus can help.

I will post some pics in the next post.

2. Small update.
    20:00 TDS = 612 PH = 5.60

If im not mistaken, plant is uptaking more water if im understanding this correctly.
    Should i correct the PH to 5.8 or top up the res with resh water to get get TDS down.

Threw in some frozen bottles of water and temp is no 68F

3. I'd concentrate on keeping the nutrient solution cool. I only looked at a couple pics and your plant doesn't look bad to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. Small update.

7:00AM TDS = 612 PH = 5.70 Temp = 72F
    It looks like leaf tip burn has progressed a tiny bit but il have to double check from pictures last night
    however, ever since i helped get the res temps cooler more roots have popped out and they look nice and rigid