Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

First time high and depersonalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by blueworm, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Hey guys. You've all probably read hundreds of topics about desperate people looking for some info regarding depersonalization and how smoking weed "triggered" it, but nevertheless, I think I could use some advice too. I'm desperate.

I'm 19 and just a week ago I got high for the first time. I was with two other friends and I was pretty excited seeing as after doing a lot of research on weed and its positive effects I was finally going to experience it.

I took about 4-5 hits off a joint I poorly rolled for the three of us. We are all newbies when it comes to weed, smoking techniques and parafernalia so it wasn't much of a surprise that I struggled for about 20 minutes trying to roll a joint; but eventually I did it.

I must admit I was quite nervous right when I was about to light it and take the first hits, but I managed to inhale it well and after the 4th hit I passed it.

10 minutes after, just when my friends finished taking their hits, the THC hit me. At first, I wasn't even expecting to get high (I'm a newbie so I thought I wouldn't even inhale it properly) so I wasn't really aware that I was getting high.

I realized then that there was something wrong my head, focus and perception. I stared at the table just wondering what the heck was wrong with me. I couldn't move my head and eyes rapidly or normally, so I freaked out, my heart was pounding like crazy, and so out of panic I asked one of my friends if I was high, just to check that it was just the THC and not some parallel dimension that I thought I had crossed. He didn't reply back to me and he was with this calming smile, so I instantly resolved that we were all high and so I sat back and we were all silent, staring hypnotized at any object. I managed to calm myself up and then I resorted to my thoughts, which were echoing "relax, you're high, just smile and enjoy it with some music".

I put on my earphones and listened to a Fleet Foxes song. I was astonished at how vivid the music sounded from within my earphones, and I swore I could differentiate clearly between every instrument in the song. It truly felt like a concert.

Some of the things I experienced while high were that I thought I was living in some slow-motion reality and every time I talked it felt like my voice wasn't coming from within myself. I felt like my only real company was my mind.

After two hours or so we went to my room and played some GTA V. Again everything seemed much more detailed and vivid in the game but my short memory and focus were so off that I couldn't remember anything I did a minute ago. Then, my friends were hit by the munchies so we ordered some Burger King. Even though they seemed very hungry, I was pretty much the contrary. I had no appetite whatsoever so I couldn't even reach my burger to my mouth without feeling nauseous. That day I didn't eat anything after getting high.

Two hours later, my friends went home and since there was nothing left to do, I went to bed, watched some TV and fell asleep. In total, I was high for around 7 PM to 11:30 PM.

The next morning I was somehow relieved that I wasn't high anymore and that I could move my eyes and head as quick as I wanted to. I felt sober. However, things got worse from there on when I realized I still couldn't focus well when my parents and brother were talking. I had lost my "multitasking" ability that day.

Later that day, the depersonalization bug bit me. It felt like the world around me was fake or a dream. I felt like my mind and body were two completely different things and I was detached from myself. I had a full blown existential and philosophical debate in my head and for some reason I concluded that I was living in an unreal world or that I was really stuck in a dream. I was devastated. I felt extremely regretful of ever smoking weed because I thought I would be stuck in a mindset of reality negation forever.

The next three days were the worse. Every morning I would wake up wondering if I had snapped out of that dreamlike reality, but then my mind would instantly assume it was all unreal, virtual and that I was in fact alone. All of this made it difficult to think straight and it made me feel really anxious, desperate and sick. My appetite went completely off during those days and I had trouble swallowing tea; not to mention solid food.

The next days I had finally fixed my appetite and I could eat normally, though my mind was still dreamy and my overall mood was still distorted by this depersonalizing feeling. I could cope with it during the day but the existentialist lapses would hit me really hard at night.

Now, it's been exactly a week and I feel generally better. Those anxiety attacks that would happen when my mind would "remember" that I was living in an unreal, meaningless life have seemed to disappear almost entirely, but my mood is still the same. I feel depressed, hopeless and still feel stuck within my thoughts whenever I think about depersonalization. I've reached a mindset of conclusions that state that life is indeed meaningless and so I can't seem to enjoy anything. I feel attacked by these thoughts that cancel any chance of pleasure from futile things that before were so normal and now are object of existential debates. I honestly feel hopeless, frustrated and bad.

Now, the weed I smoked wasn't laced. I could tell it didn't have anything weird in it when I grinded it. All it had was a strong, sweet and citric smell to it.

In respect of me, I'm a short and really underweight guy. I assume the THC hit me much harder than my peers considering my weight. I was fully high for over 4 hours. My metabolism is strictly fast so maybe that contributed to the long-lasting effect, but I'm not completely sure.

Since my teenage years I've been a person of weird moods, but I've always been an overall melancholic guy. I remember I was even suicidal in my 15's because of my introverted and shy personality. I was and still am insecure about my physical appearance so that only brought me even further down. My self-esteem has always been quite low. The problem is, I've never been to a professional so I don't know if there's some form of depression running inside me. I'm generally confused about myself and I've always been a cold-hearted person. I have trouble expressing and receiving emotions.

Now, if you have read it all, I really, sincerely thank you. If you can help me with some enlightment regarding depersonalization and weed then I will be truly grateful. I just want to know if this DP will ever go away and if it is normal among first time smokers. I really need some advice on this and if there's anything you'd like to ask just say it. I'm frustrated and I need some help.

Thank you all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2 CrispyBacon, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
    Yea it will go away dude, don't worry. It was your first time smoking so that's why it was so intense those first couple days. A lot of people will also get these when they take long tolerance breaks.

You will get used to it if you keep smoking.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Hey man, similar stuff happened to me when I started smoking. I have a background (emotionally and mentally) similar to yours and if you'd like to talk about it or anything like that, feel free to PM me. I started smoking when I was 14 and definitely felt a lot of the same things. It led me to quit a month or so after I smoked for the first time and Im 19 now and just started up again a few months back. The short answer is that it will go away. Probably within the next few days or so. Also, you're right about it not being laced. It's your state of mind and feelings going into it that made you feel that way, and now the 'trance' you're in is most likely just due to how your mind works and things like that. Anyways, yeah you'll be all good and well. Don't worry too much about it. But like I said, if you do want to talk about it or care to hear how I changed it around just shoot me a PM. I'll definitely be sending some positive vibes your way, man. 

• Like Like x 3
  4. How is GTA 5?  Waiting for the PC release but not sure if I should pre-order it.  Haven't payed full price for a game since GTA 4 first came out.

5. i didn't even read that sorry but anyway yeah depersonalization can be really strong when you first start smoking.

6. Well I hope everything works itself out (typically does) and you feel better.. After a few times smoking, I would get excited to before hand thinking about it but when it happened, be ashamed and depressed. I felt as if I hated the feeling of being high. Then, after a few more times, I realized you just need to 'let it go'. This is easier said than done... In other words, just forget about everything else, and just focus on some bomb ass pizza or some nice ass music. Don't think of everything so subtle as such a large action or a conspiracy, as I did. For instance, oh my friend didn't reply, he must hate me... etc.
    Stupid, I know, but it's how it was for me. I had to realize HEY YOU'RE GETTING STONED YOU ARE GONNA FEEL WEIRD ACCEPT IT EMBRACE IT AND LET IT RIDE, and from then on I have had more fun with it. Also, try water gravs (multiple) they will put you in such a good state, it's so much better.

7. Weird, this did not happen to me at all when I first started smoking. It wasn't until I had been doing dugs for years than my mind started fucking up. Life was pretty damn good though when I first started so I didn't overthink anything back then.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Welcome to the real world

9. Thank you all for the feedback, highly appreciated. To be honest, I never thought being high would actually turn out like it did. I did enjoy it at times, specially when I was playing GTA. Throwing myself from a plane and skydiving in the game feels really nice when high.

Anyway, it comforts me to know that some of you have actually experienced something similar, if not depersonalization itself. Apart from just relaxing, what else should I do to dissipate the existentialist pessimism? Anything that works as a direct optimistical boost is appreciated.

As far as singleplayer goes, it is undoubtedly excellent. It delivers everything the trailers promised so it is really worth a shot. You may or may not like the story, but anyhow it is complete, dynamic and fun. The map is massive, specially the wildlife zones. Mt. Chilliad is one of my favorite places as well.

Any feedback regarding the depersonalization episodes are really appreciated!

10. The clouds are pulled aside when you first smoke. You start to realize lies and how some things are so corrupt. Realization is really overpowering at first. You will really get over it eventually. Now the living in a dream i cant explain for you. I haven't heard about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
  11. Hey, thank you. Highly appreciated. It feels great to know that someone has actually gone through something similar. Would you catalogue what you felt during your 14's as depersonalization?

I might be over-reacting, but I think that some aspects of my emotional background have been severely distorted; specially those associated with sadness and generally "downward" moods. Like I said before, I've always been a naturally melancholic guy. In a way I've always felt comfortable while being sad or just plain depressed. It felt like that defined me; I know it might sound morbid, but being sad actually enabled my true personality and creativity. I simply felt normal when sad or melancholic.

Now, after smoking for the first time and having that "semi-bad" high my "naturally sad mood" has been almost shut down. It's not that I don't like being happy, it's just that now whenever I tend to feel sad just to let my intellectual and creative side come out, I feel anxious and desperate to come out of that sadness. It doesn't quite feels normal now. The existentialist-depersonalization issue seems to take over my head completely whenever I'm not busy and let my mind render thoughts on its own. I just can't have those lonely, have-a-thought moments that I once naturally had without being imploded by this depersonalization and anxiety thing. I really want to go back to how I was before ever smoking for the first time. I feel like crap.

12. #12 blueworm, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
    *Bumping and updating this thread.*

Hey everyone, it has been well over a few weeks and I'm definitely improving. Looking back at the depersonalization I thought I would permanently attach to myself, I realized I was (and still am) really paranoid about deconstructive and generally things that are on the edge of trivial and meaningless; depersonalization being one of those things.

Now, as a retrospective, I must thank all of you for sharing your support; it feels great to know that I was ultimately not alone. Marijuana, though that first time has also been the only time I ever smoked, has also improved myself in the sense that now I think in a much more in-depth perspective; not when it comes to philosophy, but rather when it comes to me. It also made me realize that there are some underlying traces of depression that are potentially linked to my paranoia. I was never aware I've been such a paranoid person in life until the depersonalization hit me and begun to dissipate.

Now I'll be working on improving myself; little by little. I've been looking forward to try hardcore meditation in order to achieve a better sense of myself. I think I've had enough of a global and social sense, which has sadly enabled all my negativity. I'm slowly starting to become more aware of my existence and correlation with reality. Already reading some Buddhism, Hinduism and Taoism content over the internet. It's great stuff!

That is exactly how I interpret my perception of reality and its sides of corruption and malice. Moreover, that state of awareness is what got me hooked up on a negative state of mind that I somehow morbidly embraced. Now I feel regretful and dumb. Marijuana helped me to realize that I must re-encounter with my persona; some cables that have been set apart in disorder that I must plug back in.

• Like Like x 2
  13. #13 DankSmoker2181, Apr 9, 2014

sounds like your awakening , which is great and can be scary at times. i went through it and I'm still going through it. before i smoked bud , i wanted to join the marines until i smoked and learned why this healing herb is outlawed. i changed my whole perspective. i learned that the government doesn't care about us , they only care about there power and expanding it. then i learned about how our food supply is soooo dirty with toxins which are bad for our body. 

Educate yourself about GMO's and Flouride which block's your third eye. grow your own food if possible or try to buy organic locally produced food which is not produced by big corporation's which doesn't care about the food quality only about profit. when you clean yourself from the toxins from the conventional food supply you will have detox symptoms and feel like crap for a bit , but after you clean yourself you will feel great , more energy , and more creativity. 
    the body is the temple for the soul which the soul's live in. my opinion is that our souls live on forever and we can recarnate if we want to. we are all one , every one is divine. 

stay away from how the government deceives us because it can get really depressing. keep away from negative thinking and stay in the moment.  , i focus on how the ego rules our lives. hinduism is interesting and also Buddhism but it's not the truth it's only a piece of truth , they don't have it all right , but nobody knows the full truth. 

• Like Like x 1
  14. look up Eckhart Tolle and Alan Watts if you want to get into spirituality. spirituality eases suffering. there;s many more spiritual teachers which will help you on your journey. times are changing , and more people are waking up. the more people who wake up the more the world will change into a more peaceful place. Good luck on your journey :)  , if you have any questions feel free to ask , i will try to help the best i can. 

15. #15 Winegums, Apr 9, 2014
    Hey maybe after you sort everything out inside you can have a hoot and remember where it all started?

I was depressed for most of my child hood, mostly because I was different than everyone else. I don't fit in anywhere like a puzzle piece with no place.

So I've spent a long time on personal reflection and stumbled upon the keirsey sorter. I found out I was a healer (INFP) which means represents just 1 in 300 of the population.

It really helped me realize where my mental weak points are and I really stepped out of my shell. It also is comforting to know that there's others out there who are just like you.

PS: I'm pretty baked. I read that over and it's terrible drivel. What I mean to say is take the Jung or keirsey sorter test and find out your four letter code.

16. #16 Tys-420, Apr 9, 2014
    In your post you mentioned the "thc hitting you" THC isnt all thats hitting you, there are many other cannabanoids contributing to this high. Of course you are new, and an amount of new people here will try to act smart and say "THC" instead of weed. Saying that is incorrect, you you were going to act technical, the correct shortened version is Δ9-THC, or delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol. Saying THC instead of weed is not right, and try not to use it in the future.

17. Your story is very well said and I appreciate you taking the time to write that for us.  To answer your question, since you have had certain emotional phases in your past and still have remains of it left over, I can see why the weed made your mind go in that direction. It is safe to say that this wont effect you permanently, your mind was so overwhelmed of the first time effect of THC that it didn't know how to react, and that is why your thoughts and perception of reality took a huge turn. 

I know it might be frightening for you to smoke weed now, but in your case of being a lightweight first time smoker, you took a lot of weed in a very small period of time.  Think about it this way, It would be a completely different story if you took 1 medium sized hit off of that joint. I hope I helped put hope back in you for pot, and that I answered any of the questions you had. Stay faded :smoking:

• Like Like x 1
  18. #18 notanotherstoner, Apr 9, 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd92qy2ZmV0

I really encourage you to watch this and if it is as interesting to you as it is to me, hopefully it will help some. I can personally relate to almost all of what you are saying so feel free to pm me

OH, also,  you probably shouldn't smoke anymore while your in this mindset. Might go without saying but some people don't think logically. Another reason to not smoke anymore is maybe you don't really like it? Don't force yourself to at least haha. 

Currently, for me, weed's benefits outweigh the negative consequences for sure but the consequences still exist. It helps me with my anxiety and insomnia as well as my (undiagnosed...yet) mild depression. The bad part is how addicted I feel to it and how much it has changed my perspective on life. I smoke just about every night and when I force myself to take breaks i hate it... also ever since i started smoking its been such a big part of my mind and what i think about. i hate it. I wish it was a hobby instead of a passion. You know? But whatever, "I'm just what you made God." -Kid Cudi

19. Thank you all for the input on this thread, really helpful stuff.

Since most of you have been referring specifically to the emotional relation with weed and how depression is such a massive and uncertain condition that will be mostly altered by weed (be it for good or not), I will be giving out some more info regarding my emotional background. Also, writing these posts really help me to come at ease with my mind and just basically let my thoughts blow out when I ''don't need them'', so thank you all for being part of this community; really great people around here.

I've realized that most of my emotional downsides are founded within doubts. I've never had a concrete experience or multiple experiences that actually devised my self-diagnosed-for-over-seven-years depression; instead, I've come to the conclusion that I've just built myself up on omens of what could happen in certain situations. That is, after all, pretty much anxiety. The problem is that I believe I have turned myself down ''for the sake of it''; that, if you look at myself from a very superficial way. I have built up my negativity almost entirely on insecurities; not the teenage ''how do I look today'' ones of course.

By insecurities, I mean that I usually find myself constantly analyzing how society and everyone works. I've had thoughts that my mere existence is so tiny and irrelevant in social scales that I almost always convince myself that I'm not good enough for anything; like the fact that I'm here and there is a community of people that surround me makes me irrelevant. I truthfully don't know when all of this inferiority complex issue started, but I can surely tell that it wasn't triggered by something objective (such as bullying), but rather because of my constant pessimist perception of my integrity against life.

Appreciated. I will surely be looking forward to spirituality in essence. Like you mentioned in your earlier post; Hinduism and Buddhism might be great content regarding our stance in Earth, but it does not hold nor entitle a linear, unique truth. Meditation and spirituality are subjects that I'm really keen on. I've always been what you would classify as an atheist, but I've never really considered myself anything that stands a clear position or statement regarding religion and/or life.
    I would self-denominate myself as a nontheist, a disinterested one tbh. I believe that in order to call oneself an atheist or someone who ascribes to a certain religion, one must go through a process of questioning, pondering and eventually comforting over a certain religion or religion in general. I've never dedicated some time to really think about myself in a religious way, so I prefer not to call myself an atheist (who are usually associated with science) but rather someone who just hasn't pondered too well in respect of religion and God.

You're right; I did refer to ''THC hitting me'' when elaborating my initial post. My bad. I guess I was just too overwhelmed seeing as I was literally having a depersonalization attack that brought me so down that I had to come up with some venting, regardless of the thoroughness I tried to write in. I did know beforehand that marijuana contains multiple other components that add to the high (depending, though not solely, on the strain), so I'm really sorry that I did not specify that in my post. Thanks for your advice as well, I will surely be using it for future posts.

Thank you for your clarification. It really was a frightening experience for me, seeing as I'm really not used to taking risks (in the sense of experimenting; not that marijuana is dangerous, in fact I believe that the least thing about it is danger based on the researches I've done on it) nor altering myself in a drastic way. You're right, I guess I just took too many hits and based on my super low weight, that might have contributed to an even intenser and longer-lasting effect. On top of all that, I just think that I really need to clear my mind out on its emotional whirlwind before going all excited on weed.
    And lastly, I for sure didn't lose any hope in weed! Haha, that's really out of my ideals. I'm practically all about letting people know about the corruption that was followed upon the anti-weed propaganda; only for big pharmacies and industries of all sorts to climb up on their avaricious plan of subordinating people to consume off their products and whatnot. Anyway, highly appreciated!

I'll make sure to watch it. It's great that you feel like you can relate to me almost entirely. Now, I'm not completely sure if I really enjoyed being high, or if it was just pure excitement based on expectations... I don't know. I do know that I really wish I didn't have any of my anxiety and depression issues so I could just enjoy a hit or two while having a good time. Thank you for sharing your introspective about weed and yourself, and I hope any sort of problems regarding your addicted feeling to weed disappear.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Uhm, in response to OP:

That's a huge block of text, and from what I've read, it sounds like you are investing way too much thought into this.

It's marijuana. It makes time feel loopy while you're high. It makes you chilled out. It makes music sound better. Etc. All those typical stoner-things, that's what it does. It'll do it for 1-3 hours for flower, 2-4 hours with most concentrates, and 4-12 hours for edibles, depending mostly on dosage.

As far as worthless feelings and mind and body seperation: nothing. has. changed. The world is the same way it was before the first time you got high. And your life being "meaningless", you go ahead and tell me what the meaning of life is. I sure as hell don't know, and there's been people arguing over the meaning of life for as long as humanity's been around. I can guarentee though, that by you inhaling some smoke off a burning flower, the meaning of life didn't somehow magically decide you are "unworthy" or some other bullshit. As far as depersonalization goes, perhaps you've just realized that you've fallen into a rut. If you feel so "out of the moment" and "seperate from your mind and body" go vary up your routine. Perhaps find some buddies and go do something un-weed-related for a while to get back into a feeling of normalcy.

If you really don't like the feelings associated with being stoned, perhaps marijuana isn't an apropriate substance for you.