First Time Growing

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by EssenceOfPhilosophy, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Alright so I've ordered a 5 pack of Master Kush feminized seeds from Nirvana. I live in western Pennsylvania. I ordered the seeds a few days ago and they should take about 2 weeks to arrive so when they do I plan to germinate them as soon as I can, like around April. I need step by step advice on how I can get these seeds from seedling to veg stage and then to the great outdoors. MY plan, which is most likely flawed quite a but because of my inexperience, is to germinate the seeds either through the paper towel method, or in a small self watering humidity dome full of peat pellets by jiffy. Could I grow them quite large in the peat pellets and then transplant them into cups and in a larger humidity dome? Where and what stages will I need lights and what lights? What light cycle is best? How will get the indoor beginning light cycle to match with the outdoor natural light cycle later in the plants life? Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated!

2. #2 BrassNwood, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Paper towels are subjected to a wild chemical bath to turn all that wood fiber white and it can inhibit germination..
    I soak in water a few hours then plant in half filled 3x3x3 inch regular nursery cups I get from the hydro shop down the street.. Solo cups are to deep and narrow based and fall over easy..
    I pre soak the cups before planting so the seeds are not washed around after placing..
    The reason I half fill the cups is the young seedlings often stretch right out of the soil and this way you can just add more soil to support the floppy young sprout..
    Here is a current set of 3x3x3 inch cups
    [​IMG]

Soil..
    I started with Fox Farms Ocean Forest but soon got tired of buying bottles of expensive goo and started mixing my own..
    Let me know what you can find before wasting money and buying an unsuitable starter mix.. Most of what you'll find at Lowes and Home Depot is not worth dragging home with just 2 or 3 exceptions..
    [​IMG]
    Chicken manure I get from Lowes

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 BrassNwood, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Compost from Home depot.. Get a giant bag of perlite there too.. Should be 2 cubic feet either thermo rock or vigoro
    [​IMG]

4. Shop PRO-MIX Pro-Mix 2.2-cu ft Potting Soil at Lowes.com

[​IMG]

1/3 promix or peat
    1/3rd perlite
    1/3rd compost
    That's the base..
    Alfalfa pellets = pet store rabbit food
    Kelp meal = hydro shop
    Garden Lime = home depot
    Garden sulfur = home depot
    Organic tomato food.. HD
    Look for this part but again just shop for now as you really don't have a huge rush to build a full soil..
    .BNW

5. Awesome stuff man! So these soil and amendments are for what? Seedling stage? Vegging stage? Both? I'm a noob my apologies. I bought a 12qt bag of Jiffy Natural & Organic Seed Starting Mix from Walmart to start my seeds in. Germination, are you even letting the seeds pop in the water for a few hours? Or just throw them in the soil and let them pop in there and the few hours of water softens the shell? I have a little humidity dome of peat pellets by jiffy, according to your methods I'm not using that ahaha so I'll save those for another plant.

6. If you want to get an early start your going to need supplemental lighting of some sort to keep them in veg until about June 1st when there is long enough days to keep them in veg..
    Inside lighting, dragging them inside at night and out during the daylight hours, Solar dusk till dawn lights.. CFLs hung over them in the yard if you can.. Several options to get that part done..
    [​IMG]
    .Solar lights
    You need to keep them exposed to about 16-8 or 17-7 lighting from the time they sprout till you set them out as to great a miss match in lighting will shock the plants into flowering and we don't want that..
    We'd like a seamless set out where the plant never misses a beat and just keeps vegging..
    Not as easy as it sounds I've chased it for years with off and on success..

BNW

7. You can wait for the tail to show.. I don't but that a personal choice.. I've let them get to long and damaged the tender shoot planting it.. 4 hours is enough to soften the seed IMO and the damp warm soil around it will finish the job..
    You can use the seed starter soil and kit.. Either way should work fine.. If your humidity is high skip it as It could cause damping off if the young sprout stays to wet..
    You can just doctor your current 12 quarts of soil with some alfalfa pellets-powder or kelp powder..

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  8. I was planning to closet veg. I have very little private areas outside my house but I could possibly figure something out. Do the seedlings need humidity? Could I germinate them in the 3x3x3 containers in my closet inside the humidity dome that is for the peat pellets? If I could keep them fully indoors in a closet until they're ready for the outdoors what lighting would I need in there? When do I change the soil from the seed starting mix to better mixes like all the things you're giving me links to which is super helpful! I'll need to move the sprouts from the 3x3x3 cups to bigger cups for the veg stage correct? Thanks for all the info man!

9. I have very low humidity most of the time and I really can't control it so I just ignore it most of the time if it's not harvest-dry time..
    You can let the 3x3 cups grow to about 12 inches tall before they start to slow.. I let things get a bit root bound so the root ball is nice and tight so at transplant no soil is lost and no roots are disturbed.. Early transplanting has screwed up more plants then I care to think about..
    I run the same soil mix start to finish in all my pot sizes..
    3x3x3 = 12 inches tall
    5x5x7 deep = 24 inches tall
    8x8x10 deep 36-48 tall and out the door to flower..
    [​IMG]

3 center.. 5s on the left.. 8s on the right..
    Best time matching seems to be 16-8 or 17-7 from germination..
    '
    I'm using T5 high output fixtures from Home Depot with 6500k color lamps from the local hydro shop..
    The HD lamps are 3000k and more suited to flowering being very red-pink warm white..
    For best vegging we like the daylight blue white 6500k color index..

Lithonia Lighting 2-Light High Output Multi-Volt T5 Compact White Fluorescent Strip Light-ZR 2 54T5HO MVOLT GEB10PS - The Home Depot
    [​IMG]

Built my original veg boxes with 8 CFL lamps per box so that route works too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BNW

10. Thanks man a ton man! So you don't take them outdoors until they're just about to flower? I was planning to take them out when they were about 6-12 inches veg.

11. For 5 plants I'll probably go the cardboard grow box route. Do I need 8 cfl's for 5 plants that will go outdoors may 1st at around 12 inches tall?