First time growing, one plant, 1 week old

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dqlover04092, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Hi everyone,

I have started my very first marijuana grow, and my plant has reached one week old. The first 5 days were under a CFL, but my seedling started stretching so I turned on the metal halide bulb. It is currently getting 18 hours of light and 6 hours of dark. It has been VERY cold here for the last week, so temperatures are between 60-70 degrees with the MH light on and RH between 30-40%.

Tangie automatic seed
    Tent 5 feet tall, 3 feet wide, but only 20 inches long
    Too small for my reflector - currently not using a light reflector
    Cheap bag soil in a small cup, but will be transplanted to a 10 gallon smart pot
    600W MH/HPS in a cool tube
    Phresh filter for light air intake with 6" fan

One problem that I can see coming down the road is light blocking - I'm not sure how to prevent light from coming in through my exhaust fan ports during the dark time.

How does this seedling look? Can anyone give me any beginners tips or advice? Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. if it is an auto flowering seed/strain it needs no darkness and would prefer to live under 24 hours of light at all times like right now. Your challenge going forward will be height. I have found no one thing fixes the height problem but there are ways to get an extra inch here and an extra inch there. Starting with low growing genetics helps but is not absolutely necessary. Try to keep your temp as stable as possible and leaving the light on 24/0 will help quite a bit.

3. try moving ur light abit closer looks abit streched

4. or put some more coco/soil in ur cup to support stem. also dont know if u have a fan in the tent but they really help with strenghen stems.

also noticed you dont have a hood on ur light? you want to be focusing all that light down,

5. Thank you, I'm going to start using the MH light 24 hours a day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks for your advice, I will move the plant closer to the light.

I will also add a fan.

My big reflecting hood does not fit in the small tent that I am using. Is a hood required? I can try to build something that would fit.

7. A couple things. Do not use clear cups for growing. Light kills roots. Next time use a colored solo cup. You can wrap it with some construction paper if you have or just pop that cup into one that isn't clear. Make sure that there are drainage holes as well.
    Your soil looks pretty dense. You need a light aerated soil. Get some perlite and mix that into the soil. Between 30-50% is good. Cannabis needs a light soil so that it gets plenty of oxygen to the roots. And it also promotes good root growth. If the soil is too compact, the roots can't grow as well and you'll have a smaller root mass. The bigger the root the bigger the fruit.
    Make sure that you don't over water. Water your plant. Let the soil dry out. Then water again. Don't get into a schedule. I've gone 3 days between waterings and then go a week before they need some more. The plant and soil will tell you when you need to give more. The purpose for letting the soil dry, is to make the roots grow and search for water.
    Your growing an auto. Autos can be very finicky at times and become stunted very easily. Sometimes, they don't like to be transplanted or topped. Most growers start their autos in their final pots. Their vegetative stage is relatively short, so you want the most growth that you can get in its early stages. That's why a good airy soil is beneficial. I've grown only 1 auto with success, and that was a miniscule yield and a very small plant. I fucked up somewhere with it. Also lighting with an auto is, the more the better. 24hrs per day or 20 on 4 off are optimal for autos. I'd say that your plant is pretty far behind because of the compact soil preventing root growth. Since you are going to transplant, mix up some soil/ perlite ( but please get some quality soil. Not miracle grow or anything with slow release nutrients) and transplant into your final pot. You will most likely see a lag in growth becausey the growth will be under the soil till it establishes a good root system. If you are going to leave it in that cup for some more time, bury that stem. And when you transplant, bury it up some.
    Good luck.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. When I said, mix perlite into the soil, I don't mean in the existing cups. You can break the roots.

9. Thanks for your reply!

I just wrapped dark paper around the cup to prevent light from penetrating it. I'll be sure to use a colored cup next time.

I will purchase some perlite tomorrow to mix that in with some new higher quality soil. Should I transfer it into a bigger pot at that time?

10. Well, now is the thing with that. Me, I personally would transplant. Some would wait. But if you are going to transplant, prep your pot.with the new soil/perlite. Hollow out a hole big enough to fit the existing soil but deep enough to accommodate burying the stem some. You could bury almost to your leaves. But again, this will most likely slow upper growth some, because the buried stem will actually produce roots. When you go to remove this from the cup it's in now, take a butter knife and go along between the cup and soil (as long as you don't see a lot of roots) to loosen the soil from the cup. Put your hand over the cup with the stem between your ring and index finger to support the stem. Tip the cup easily an push on the bottom of the cup. It should slide out. Do this right over the new pot. The closer you are, the less chance of mistakes happening. Ease it into the hole and fill in. Don't worry about breaking away the old soil . You'll potentially do more damage hurting the roots. Give it a good drink and patiently wait for her to do her thing

11. My plan is now to transplant it into a larger (but not the final 10 gallon) pot tomorrow as you described with a high quality light soil and perlite mix. I will bury most of the stretched stem. The plant already looks happier closer to the light with a fan blowing on it.

12. #12 dqlover04092, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Update: I purchased some perlite and high quality potting mix today to use for transferring the plant into a larger pot. It is about 40% perlite, 60% soil. I tried to bury the stretched stem while doing this. The plant is now getting 24 hours of light from the MH bulb which is helping temperatures greatly (79 degrees in this photo). However, my humidity keeps going down, now at only 25% RH.

Attached Files: