First time growing on my own land, would like some advice from container growers.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Mr.Mago0, Apr 6, 2021.

1. #1 Mr.Mago0, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    I'm looking to grow six plants and help my girl grow her six plants on my land this season. I'm shooting for two pounds per plant. I'm pretty experienced growing in ProMix indoors and have been averaging a pound and a half from three plants in 3.5Gal buckets.

My main concerns were type of container and volume needed to support plants of this size through the season. Last summer we had a massive heat wave in the high 90's for two weeks straight, so I was thinking solid nursery pots may be a better choice.

I've never used grow bags before and would be up to try them if they produce better roots, I figure the price is cheaper per bag so I could use more media if needed.

If I need more than 20Gal per container I'll look into making my own mix.
    Promix is expensive as hell around here at $60 a cube. The local farm store has 3Cu.Ft. Berger Hort grade peat for $9, ungraded perlite at $18 for 4Cu.Ft and a 50 pound bag of pulverized dolamite is $6.

2. Kiddie pools .... cheap too and little hassle tho the nieghbors may think you got a pre school going

burlap sacks is what you need 20 -200 usg

good luck

3. 2 pounds per plant outdoor is gonna be some very large containers. Indoors 20 gal is a large pot. Outdoor 200 gal is a large pot.

4. Powdery Mildew
    Potassium Bicarbonate
    1 tablespoon per gallon of water.
    Apply weekly seedling to harvest.
    Used extensively on both wine and table grapes for PM control.
    Household baking soda can be used.

Caterpillars
    BT Thuricide.
    Bacillus Thuringiensis
    Once a week from the first hint of flower right up to the week of harvest.
    Run a bug Zapper nearby to limit the moths that are your source of the caterpillars.
    upload_2021-4-5_18-52-57.jpeg

[​IMG]

Nothing quite like destroying pounds of Buds because the caterpillars infested and ruined it.
    BT is a bacterium destroyed by sunlight in a few hours. Not a chemical poison. Only effective in the gut of a caterpillar. Gives them a case of terminal indigestion.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. What's with everyone saying potassium bicarbonate burning their plants over in another thread? Have you had this issue as well?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I use old cattle feed tubs. Something like 30 gallon. Not huge, but free.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Never.
    All it does it raise the PH of the water a couple of PH points.
    Takes my 8.5 hose water up to just under 10 and that is enough to kill the Mildew but not harm the plants.
    I've used Green Cure or Baking Soda ( Sodium Bicarbonate ) for 8 years. Hundreds of plants. Outside demands it as the PM spore is everywhere.
    The only way to burn a plant with it would be to way over ratio mix it. Push the PH up to a full 14.
    3 or 4 tablespoons of Bicarb to a gallon of water. 4x the ratio.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  8. When are you planting in your area? I average close to the amount you mentioned (2lbs/plant) outdoor in SoCal planting anytime in April. I use 45 gal fabric pots with 40 gal of my own soilless mix, mulched with wheat straw. If I could change anything, I would use 60 gal containers, the extra soil would reduce my fertilzer/water frequency, and buffer from heat. In my area we get into the triple digits. I like the tan fabric pots for many reasons, one being that the material doesn't heat up the same way solid pots do in direct sun. Although I still block the pots from direct sun when the temps are real high.

9. Why not in the ground?

Sent from my phbgf uijj tplkjn

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Part of it depends on when you spray.
    Need to spray in the shade or on a cooler day.
    Even at half strength if you spray it in full sun on a 90° day it's going to do some visible damage. Not sure if it's actually true damage to the plant, but you'll definitely see something.

Sent from my phbgf uijj tplkjn

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Good to know. As with pretty all my spraying I'll keep it to dusk/dawn and/or lights out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. #12 Mr.Mago0, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    I'm looking to go outside the third week of May. I have clones running now and will hopefully have nice low bushed out plants ready to go by that time. I found some nice 30Gal tan grow bags and was planning on going from 3.5Gal buckets right into the 30Gal bags, unless you think there is a large benefit from hanging out in a mid size bag for a while. I would start out with Feed, water, water, Feed then move up to Feed, water, Feed and when the plants are fully rooted move to full feed. I figure the roots will find the fertilized media as they expand.

I did some research and it seems Promix BX is the one recommended for outdoors, so I will try to emulate that mix. I'm confident is this mix except for the amount of lime I need. I would rather be a tad on the light side and top dress small amounts later as needed.

24 Cu.Ft uncompressed peat
    8 Cu. Ft Perlite
    4 Cu. Ft Vermiculite
    6 Lbs Pulverized Dolamite

Watered in the first few time with a wetting agent.
    Indoors I usually top dress with medium diatomite (6mm) it helps with gnats and keeps all the perlite from floating on the surface.

I like the direct control I have using this method and I have found I yield about 25% more versus soil grows.

• Like Like x 1