First time growing from a seed

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ogderp, Nov 8, 2012.

1. #1 ogderp, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2012
    I'm getting ready to grow from a seed for the first time, and I was wondering if anyone could give me any info on what is the best way to germinate your seeds. I've seen a couple different ways to do it on YouTube, such as putting them in a glass of water or sandwiching them between two damp paper towels. I've also heard that once a root is visible, that you should should start them out in a beer pong cup and go easy on how much light they're getting, or they'll die. Germinating a seed and getting it started is what I'm the most confused about, so I really need some info on what to do so I don't mess up and kill my plants.

2. #2 azgrassman, Nov 8, 2012
    Germination is easy.

1. wet paper towel
    2.place towel in Tupperware
    3. place seeds on towel
    4. Gently place another wet towel on top of seeds
    5. Close Tupperware and place somewhere warm and dark for a day or two.

Red Solo cups are pretty good starting pots. Just remember to poke drainage holes in the bottom of the cup. And place the root shoot towards the bottom of the cup when you bury them in the soil.

Lighting should be 24/0 or 20/4 for the first few weeks of vegetative growth once they break the soil. If you're using CFLs or Fluorescent lights don't worry about giving too much light. If your using an HID just make sure the temps are taken care of. As long as the temperature range doesn't get above 80 for sprouts you're solid.

3. #3 SkyKing65, Nov 8, 2012
    The paper towel thing is okay if your just curious which seeds will sprout, but if you know you got good seeds just pop one in the dirt, water it and it will grow. About 3-4days to pop the dirt. GL

Oh, really/really good dirt is the secret.

4. I dont agree.

Its always best to germinate, I too use the paper towel method.

5. Paper towel method works great for me too. But recently I've been just popping the seeds in a glass of water and waiting a day or so for the tap root to come out. Once they pop out, I plant them on soil, and then another day or 2 later the seedlings sprout.

6. I don;t know why anyone would think this is best. Only MJ growers use paper towels and other such aids to germinate seeds before planting; all other horticultural professionals plant directly into the seedling media. There is no reason to think this is a required step for germination.

PW

7. [quote name='"pointswest"']

I don;t know why anyone would think this is best. Only MJ growers use paper towels and other such aids to germinate seeds before planting; all other horticultural professionals plant directly into the seedling media. There is no reason to think this is a required step for germination.

PW[/quote]

Marijuana costs a lot more to grow, so extra care is taken during germination.

Germination increases success rate of seedlings and allows us to see what seeds are worth putting effort into.

We can't just spread seeds on soil outside; we're not growing tomatoes.

Not to mention, it's a lot of fun!

AZ

8. No it doesn't increase success rate of seedlings, if it will germinate in the towel, it will germinate in the soil. Much of the germination rate depends upon the skill level of the grower.

PW

9. Some people plant straight into their medium. Not everyone likes germinating seeds in tissue and then dealing with fragile little sprouted roots when they're done.

10. #10 azgrassman, Nov 8, 2012
    [quote name='"pointswest"']

No it doesn't increase success rate of seedlings, if it will germinate in the towel, it will germinate in the soil. Much of the germination rate depends upon the skill level of the grower.

PW[/quote]

Not all seed germinate successfully. If you plant a seed that isn't going to germinate you've wasted supplies and several days.

Germination allows us to ensure sprouting by showing us which seeds are truly viable and which aren't. .

I like germination. You like planting seeds. Both work.

11. :( I'm not here to give a "what's best" opinion, and it's your perogative to disagree...it's okay. No disrespect, but, I'm just an old schooler who's after the most logical reasons and not the "best" reasons just cause somebody said so.
    My theory: when seeds are germed in paper towel you run a risk of accidentally damaging the root in the process of transplanting the seed to dirt. It takes only a couple more days to see results when you plant right in dirt, so why risk it....it's not a huge sacrifice. Also, and I assure you, when you do see a sprout pop the surface of the dirt then at that point the tap root will be well on it's way down into the dirt finding the most appropriate spot for it's growth and well ahead of any seed sprouted in paper towels. :rolleyes: -- :wave:

12. You're rooting point is a very valid one. A lot of new growers have issues with planting germed seeds in soil correctly; I did at first. If a plant sprouts in soil it'll grow.

And that's all that really matters. If you germ or go straight for the soil, or soak in water, or scrape with sand paper then soak, it really doesn't matter. All we want are healthy, growing plants. Try a lot of things at first and find what fits your style the best.

I grow a plant I love, and I love the way I grow. Find what makes you happiest and go for it.

AZ

13. :D Thanx. Nice thouights.