First time growing, advice welcome and appreciated!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by greenberry42, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hi, greenberry42 here.
    I've just recently started my first grow from bagseed. My grow spot is incredibly small, I've got three little seedlings that have been under 18/6 for meerly 5 days now. I'm hoping that the odds will be generous, and I hope to have 2 females grown LST because my grow cabinet is only 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.75. I hope it wont be too challenging for my first grow!
    Anyway, I've got a CFL in there providing 2700 lumens a mere centimeter away from plant #1, which has already proven to be the dominant one. Because the other seedlings are inches instead of a centimeter away from that light, I have another CFL providing 1500 lumens.
    I have a few questions.
    1) Because it is my first grow and I have relatively low expectations, I started my plants in some dirt from my back yard. No nutes have been introduced yet. When I transplant from my red solo cups to a real pot, if i introduce fertilizer then will it be beneficial or will the change be bad for the plants?
    2) I know that the yield will be lesser if I stick to CFLs all the way through flowering, but will the quality be lesser?
    3) I'm hoping for at least 1 oz total from two plants grown LST with CFLs at approx. 3500 lumens on each plant (that't an estimate based on my setup, pictures on my ghetto grow cabinet to come), is that too high of an expectation?

2. Also, I need some help selecting nutes and when to use them. With every watering? Should I go with 20 - 20 - 20? That's what I came across online and that was my plan.

3. GB heya.

1) If you are like many growers you will most likely kill ur first plants.
    2) MJ can be flowered under floro, but ur yield will be 1/10th what it would be under HID. Plus the plant will not be healthy. It will be prone to bug and disease issues. I've grown with floro and I've grown with HID. I would strongly advise you to get a 250w HID lamp instead.
    3) Yes. Growing MJ plants is simple but not easy. You are taking a finicky annual plant that flowers and putting it into an indoor environment and getting it to grow and flower is not easy. I'd be very surprised if you had any bud before 6 months and the amount might be a few grams. A year from now, you might harvest a plant with some significant buds.

4. adding nutrients will be good for them but do it in small pre-mixed amounts.

you will probably see less dense fluffy buds from the CFL's

SCROG the shit out of them, one plant in that space is plenty IMO, and I bet you will get some decent results. This first run will definitively be a learning experience and your results will get better and better over time.

5. CFL's will grow your bud just fine. Keep them within 2 inches of your foliage throughout the veg and flower stages and you will get some stanky bud.

I agree with smokin.... scrog is a good idea.

6. Freegrow and smokin, I looked into scrog but every picture I found has the screen placed inches above the plants so as they veg they grow into it (i could be wrong, new at this). Problem is with cfls i need the lights real close to the plants, which is a problem if the screen is so far up.

7. I added my scrog screen in just as I was flipping 12/12. Then just guided the growing bud sites into there spots. I knew about how many bud sites id need to fill it.

8. [quote name='"greenberry42"']Freegrow and smokin, I looked into scrog but every picture I found has the screen placed inches above the plants so as they veg they grow into it (i could be wrong, new at this). Problem is with cfls i need the lights real close to the plants, which is a problem if the screen is so far up.[/quote]

Since you have such limited space I'd set the screen 1" off the top of your plants or closer. The techniques aren't set in stone so modify it to fit your needs. Drop it down closer to maximize your lack of space

9. Oh, i get it now. Freegrow you suggest I wait til I'm done vegging to add the screen? Is that standard or just what you do? I had a hard time finding anywhere online when to add the screen

10. #10 freegrow11, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
    It really just depends what u like. People use the screen differently. I LST'd throughout the grow and then added in the screen before flower and filled it up.

Check out the link in my sig to my second grow , theres some good pictures of my screen when I put it in and it filling up (page 5).